still cleaning

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cackalack
Novice

still cleaning

Post by Cackalack »

didn't know where else to post this...

aside from doing botanical runs which would leave oils and essences behind and potentially all along the inside of this and that pipe-is there any sort of routine cleaning that should be done to copper pipes of a still?

I've noticed the inside of my copper pipes have become quite discolored, wondering if I shouldn't give it a shine again, wondering if it's just a very natural heat oriented discoloration that's happening, or if the discoloration is more likely to be built up residues that could pollute the flavor of future runs
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Re: still cleaning

Post by toofless one »

from my limited knowledge, a cleaning with just hot water while the still is warm should be good.

however, a more thorough cleaning of vinegar and water may be necessary if you see it fit.
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

That "patina" means that the copper is doing its job properly... Just rinse it out and don't bother with additional cleaning unless you get green/blue/black buildup on the copper... Copper has natural antibacterial properties which causes the patina... Shiny bare copper can actually impart off flavors until adequately seasoned...
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

rad14701 wrote:can actually impart off flavors until adequately seasoned...
I like that, seasoned. sound delicious. I saw a Modern Marvels episode where there were saying the ancient Romans (or egyptians?) were using copper to irrigate homes and such. they didnt know it at the time but the copper had antimicrobial properties that reduced their levels disease.

cool huh?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
scarecrow
Swill Maker

Post by scarecrow »

Cackalack wrote:I've noticed the inside of my copper pipes have become quite discolored
Where they as bad as this.

I haven't used the thumper for a few weeks and forgot I had some backslop left in it after the last run. Eeeeuuwww!!
BlueMuck.jpg
I'm in the middle of a new build, so I will give it a good cleanout before I run any wash through it.

scarecrow
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Wow scarecrow! thats pretty rugged! ive never seen anything like that before!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Rugged is the word, toofless. I've not seen anything like that before and am waiting for the more experienced blokes to comment. Looks like copper and backset aren't very compatible.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I find the liebig stinks like all get out when I finish a run. I run down to 20% -- like many others here. I drop it in the utility sink full of hot soapy water and run HOT water through. Takes out most of the smell.

WW
Cackalack
Novice

Post by Cackalack »

Holy shit! no, my pipes definitely don't look like that, reminds me of a crayola crayon I had once

awesome, sounds good yall, definitely like the "seasoned" thought as well, never thought of it in that way, but it definitely makes sense