Plastic bottle's and Alcohol

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Plastic bottle's and Alcohol

Post by NZChris »

In 1996, stilling became legal in New Zealand. Not long after, I bought a bottle of Bourbon flavor, mixed it with neutral and decided I didn't like it.

I found the flavor bottle a couple of days ago, filled with a sample of my finished product. I don't think it's any better, or worse, than when I bottled it. I don't taste plastic. The proof seems about right. If there is a difference, it is too subtle for my taste buds.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I've had 93%abv sitting in a PET bottle for a few weeks. Didn't taste any bad stuff in it and the bottle was fine.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:I've had 93%abv sitting in a PET bottle for a few weeks. Didn't taste any bad stuff in it and the bottle was fine.
I wouldn't even put my beer in them. There are plenty of glass options in NZ.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Yea. I use glass now. Plastic was just what I got it in.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

I always store on glass, however sometimes you gotta sneak some hooch into a concert or sporting event. Take an unopened water bottle cut the top off dip in boiling water for 10 seconds and use a pair of plyers to pry off the intact factory seal. A plastic travel flask is alright for skiing too. I try not to drink likker that’s been in plastic for any longer then needed though.
ETOH.... yes plz
GavinSR
Novice

Post by GavinSR »

I was collecting my alcohol in a food safe plastic bucket, this was fine for lower levels of spirit however I noticed that at higher levels the bucket was becoming slimy and concluded it was being destroyed by the alcohol, now I only collect in a glass bottle, and have reduced the plastic delivery tube
Who keeps drinking my scotch and coke ?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

GavinSR wrote:I was collecting my alcohol in a food safe plastic bucket, this was fine for lower levels of spirit however I noticed that at higher levels the bucket was becoming slimy and concluded it was being destroyed by the alcohol, now I only collect in a glass bottle, and have reduced the plastic delivery tube
And that is why we say no synthetics and refer people to Rule #8 of The Rules We Live by... They're not called The Rules We Poison Ourselves By for good reason...
distilling_dk
Novice

Post by distilling_dk »

If you use PE plastic ( also know as Polyethylene) bottles/barrels you can use it for spirits:

read
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/peh-c ... d_329.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

distilling_dk wrote:If you use PE plastic ( also know as Polyethylene) bottles/barrels you can use it for spirits:

read
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/peh-c ... d_329.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Please do not advise going against the rules that we follow here on this forum. No synthetic plastics. Simple. It's not only ethonal that is made in a wash or that comes through when you distill. Even though the big boys use them, do you really think that nothing is leached out?

If you can't follow our simple rules. ( Even stated in the post above you) then this isn't the forum for you.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.