Blue green corrosion in copper pipe / fittings

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grumpy365
Novice

Blue green corrosion in copper pipe / fittings

Post by Grumpy365 »

I have been building a reflux column and I set the top part of the column in some vinegar . ( I know, most of you prefer the boka, but this is a reflux)

The whole thing wouldn't fit, so I have a portion in the vinegar and part out of the vinegar.

I don't know what I was thinking, except i was trying to get it clean.

What happened is, on the area just out of the vinegar looks like it oxidized and turned blue - green :sick: :thumbdown: :twisted:

I cleaned the outside, no problem, but the inside is the problem. I sanded the inside, as good as I could, but it's not as pristine as I am comfortable with.

I am now greatly concerned. (due to safety, taste, etc.)

Since the area completely submerged came out fine, If I plug the column and fill it up with vinegar so the whole inside is sumerged will it come clean?

How do I clean it? Boiling water, baking soda solution or what?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Blue green corrosion in copper pipe / fittings

Post by rtalbigr »

Plug it like ya said and fill with vinegar. It'll shine like a new penny. Lemon juice also works really good.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Kifi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kifi »

The amphora society (makers of the PDA 1) recommend a few ounces of salt and a few ounces of citric acid mixed together in a 60 C warm water bath. I use this for cleaning my copper, but also copper mesh (and it works surprisingly well). You can wipe it on, or if your still comes apart into pieces, let the pieces soak for a few hours in this solution. Try and keep the water temp warm for best results. Afterwards, I rinse with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acids. Good luck.
Colonel's 20 gal Scotch/Ozark/VM; Mile Hi 3/8/13 gal CM; Amphora PDA-1 w/ext

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success. - Elliot Carver
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Kifi wrote: Afterwards, I rinse with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acids. Good luck.
I would say this is very important. If you don't rince and neutralize the acid it will just come right back.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Prairiepiss wrote:
Kifi wrote: Afterwards, I rinse with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acids. Good luck.
I would say this is very important. If you don't rince and neutralize the acid it will just come right back.
+1 neutralize the acid.
Personally I like the citric acid the best for cleaning copper but you need to neutralize it after you finished
chappy
Novice

Post by chappy »

the blue green is from wherre the flux / soldering paste ran down the pipe when you soldered and did not wipe it off with a wwet rag when you fininshed.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Kentucky shinner wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:
+1 neutralize the acid.
Personally I like the citric acid the best for cleaning copper but you need to neutralize it after you finished

I like it too, works like a charm
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Stoner
Novice

Post by Stoner »

Kifi wrote:Afterwards, I rinse with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acids. Good luck.
I feel empowered :ebiggrin:
thank you!
~ Stone

My stills: Continuous Still, Pot Still
wfg821
Novice

Post by wfg821 »

Will this solution also work on a stainless column? (citric acid and salt with a baking soda & warm water rinse). I took my still apart after the last run and found my copper mesh very tarnished and the rasching rings were stained with brownish areas. I soaked the mesh in a 50/50 vinegar and water solution which seemed to work just fine. I tried the same with the rings, even tried slow boiling them in the solution but got no success. The inside of my column has the same color (blue-ish) running up and down it. I was able to scrub that off only to the point where my brush no longer reaches. I have been running UJSSM through my still. After each run I rinse the inside withe a hose but haven't done anything with the column for the last 6 or 7 runs. After quite a bit more searching and reading I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the tarnishing. I've tossed the rings since but just wanted assurance of a couple things:
1. Can I still use the cleaned mesh and should it be rinsed in the baking soda first?
2. Will the above solution work on stainless?
3. Should I re-clean the still with a vinegar solution and perform another sacrificial sugar run?
BTW the still is a MileHi 3"x40" with internal condenser.
Be good... But if you can't, don't feel guilty.