Geo-tagging - PLEASE READ

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Geo-tagging - PLEASE READ

Post by dunluce »

Reaverman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:49 am I agree with this post, but I think we have to also realise (especially the UK). A lot of coppers struggle using social media tools, let alone metadata in pics.
Not a copper here, but just because a lot of them struggle with tech, doesn't mean there isn't a lot of them that are really good at it.

You'd be surprised, I think, at what information someone can find out if they want to.
Reaverman
Novice

Post by Reaverman »

dunl wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:17 pm
Reaverman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:49 am I agree with this post, but I think we have to also realise (especially the UK). A lot of coppers struggle using social media tools, let alone metadata in pics.
Not a copper here, but just because a lot of them struggle with tech, doesn't mean there isn't a lot of them that are really good at it.

You'd be surprised, I think, at what information someone can find out if they want to.
Agreed mate, always worth be careful!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

OK , I was pretty sure HD forum strips off the Metadata from your pics when you upload them . So I did a little test to see .
Heres a pic I took today with GPS on . ( I normally have it off ...but I turned it on for this )
I have an ap on my phone called “View Exif “ that can look at the Meta data associated with a pic .

This is the pic I took ,and the Metadata screenshots from my phone before I uploaded it .
0483491B-B330-47B2-B71A-13557A6DEEE2.jpeg
5C93279E-642A-4563-947A-2D80413DFB60.png
959DADE8-2CDE-46D4-86B3-3408BD27C68E.png
96CBC56F-5EC7-45B8-A91F-7CAF4F2A83E1.png
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

So now I have saved the pic off the HD forum and looked at the Metadata using “View Exif” ap
9F0B505C-FDE2-446C-9CB8-5B876F90487E.jpeg
9F0B505C-FDE2-446C-9CB8-5B876F90487E.jpeg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
98CE4D32-A811-48A9-B13F-B26352B09252.png
As you can see , all the Metadata has been stripped off except the image size ( after HD forum has rescaled it ) and the file name .
Unfortunately it also removes the orientation data , hence the pic is on it’s on its side .

But as you can see nothing about location or device photo was taken off is there . HD forum strips it off for you when you upload a pic
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just out of curiosity , this is the Metadata ( off the picture in my phone ) of a old pic I took with with Location switched off in phone settings .

Everything is there except the long/lat/elevation data and the google map pin . So it would appear that the Iphone does block that data if you turn it off .
370C72F3-22A9-42D4-9F9C-85779C66609C.png
4D21F421-C362-4D0D-86A3-9B7938A159B7.png
00009317-3BF4-49BB-8C41-D7BB2422C079.png
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Iffn you were wondering what the raw data down the bottom shows ... knock your self out :egeek: :econfused:
2844BC08-F3ED-4784-84EC-9339C8EC0A0D.png
1448392F-CA3A-453A-84F0-7EF535C03387.png
85D2AB45-3CC0-450C-A19D-CA8AF364E85A.png
50C2FFA2-39A1-40C7-BC18-5050D704EAE5.png
Hügelwilli
Swill Maker

Post by Hügelwilli »

Yummyrum,
this is, what I get from your picture:
Screenshot.jpg
Doesn't look like HD strips the data out.

There is a button in the ACP (administrator control panel) to automatically strip out the EXIF data from uploaded jpg-files.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

Yeah I can confirm. Scary stuff.
Capture.JPG

Edited to add...

Iphone6s !!!! :) :lolno:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

OK thanks guys . I am surprised to see this but am pleased that you have checked and proved me wrong .
What App or program are you guys using ?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Yummyrum, SomethingObscure, and Hügelwilli thanks for staying on

top of this for those of us that are more tech challenged. :thumbup:

there has to be a nod to Husker for his work also thanks.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Cob , I hope you didn’t miss the point .

I was wrong .HD Forum does not strip off the location data

So you must turn it off on your phone before uploading pics .

Again I am sorry . At least we know now .Unfortunately the cheap App I was using to test gave the illusion that it was safe but whatever Hugel was using could still pic it up .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:46 pm Cob , I hope you didn’t miss the point .

I was wrong .HD Forum does not strip off the location data

So you must turn it off on your phone before uploading pics .

Again I am sorry . At least we know now .Unfortunately the cheap App I was using to test gave the illusion that it was safe but whatever Hugel was using could still pic it up .
nope I understood perfectly. My moratorium on posting pictures here is

still on and will remain on until Microsoft freezes over.

your work is appreciated.
be water my friend
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Any photos I have posted I turn off location on my phone before taking photo then upload to laptop, open in MS paint save as BMP then open BMP file and save as JPG then upload that file. Pretty sure BMP's don't have any meta data. But to be honest I don't think my local boys in blue go looking for small timers only act if it comes to their attention.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Double post

Sorry
Last edited by SomethingObscure on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

I wonder if Tapatalk will strip the metadata.
Figure it's just another feature they can add to the premium service.
Original photo.jpg
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
-Albert Einstein

SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

It appears that my hunch is correct Tapatalk both resizes and stripes the metadata. But I would rather be safe than sorry. And turn off the geotagging feature.

SomethingObscure

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
-Albert Einstein

Hügelwilli
Swill Maker

Post by Hügelwilli »

I got the same location information with the tapatalk-picture.
Edit: Sorry. Wrong. Yes. The Tapatalk-Pic has no Exif data. :thumbup:

Simply click on the picture (open it in a new window), then right-click, safe onto your computer and then drag and drop the picture there: https://www.pic2map.com/

Yummyrum, you should contact an admin for this. It is only one simple setting in the administrator control panel and HD will strip the exif data of all new uploaded jpgs automatically. No extension needed. They will find it somewhere under "attachments". But it works only for jpg. Not for png and also not for selfmade ods, xls, pdf and other.

Edit: Here a screenshot of the setting in the acp unfortunately in German language:
acp.jpg
In English in the main page of the acp there is somewhere "board configuration" and one line under that probably "attachments" or "attachments settings" and there you will find the option to strip out the meta data automatically. It works.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks hugelwilli
Its above my paygrade but I will pass it on to Tater or Uncle Jesse.
It sure would make folk around here feel a lot safer if we could do this .
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Seconded.

Nice work Higelwilli

-Albert Einstein

Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

here is what shows on that page here ---- Attachment settings
Here you can configure the main settings for attachments and the associated special categories.

Attachment settings
Allow attachments:
Yes No
Allow attachments in private messages:
Yes No
Upload directory:
Storage path for attachments. Please note that if you change this directory while already having uploaded attachments you need to manually copy the files to their new location.
files
Attachment display order:
Display attachments ordered by time.
Descending Ascending
Total attachment quota:
Maximum drive space available for attachments for the whole board, with 0 being unlimited.

Bytes
Maximum file size:
Maximum size of each file. If this value is 0, the uploadable filesize is only limited by your PHP configuration.

MiB
Maximum file size messaging:
Maximum size of each file, with 0 being unlimited, attached to a private message.

KiB
Maximum number of attachments per post:
Maximum number of attachments per private message:
Enable secure downloads:
With this option enabled, downloads are limited to IP’s/hostnames you define.
Yes No
Allow/Deny list:
Change the default behaviour when secure downloads are enabled of the Allow/Deny list to that of a whitelist (Allow) or a blacklist (Deny).
Allow Deny
Allow empty referrer:
Secure downloads are based on referrers. Do you want to allow downloads for those omitting the referrer?
Yes No
Check attachment files:
Some browsers can be tricked to assume an incorrect mimetype for uploaded files. This option ensures that such files likely to cause this are rejected.
Yes No
Image category settings [Assigned extension group: Images]
Display images inline:
If set to No image attachments will show as a link.
Yes No
Create thumbnail:
Create a thumbnail in all possible situations.
Yes No
Maximum thumbnail width/height in pixel:
A generated thumbnail will not exceed the width set here.
px
Minimum thumbnail file size:
Do not create a thumbnail for images smaller than this.
Bytes
Maximum image dimensions:
Maximum size of image attachments. Set both values to 0px by 0px to disable dimension checking.
x
px
Image link dimensions:
Display image attachment as an inline text link if image is larger than this. To disable this behaviour, set the values to 0px by 0px.
x
px

Secure Downloads are not enabled. The settings below will be applied after enabling secure downloads.

Define allowed IPs/hostnames
To specify several different IPs or hostnames enter each on a new line. To specify a range of IP addresses separate the start and end with a hyphen (-), to specify a wildcard use “*”.

IP addresses or hostnames:
Exclude IP from allowed IPs/hostnames:
Enable this to exclude the entered IP/hostname.
Yes No

Remove or un-exclude allowed IPs/hostnames
You can remove (or un-exclude) multiple IP addresses in one go using the appropriate combination of mouse and keyboard for your computer and browser. Excluded IPs have a blue background.

IP addresses or hostnames: