Cleaning SS kegs (not beer) of unknown use

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ritter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cleaning SS kegs (not beer) of unknown use

Post by Ritter »

I have two 15 gal SS chemical kegs and a closed top SS 55gal drum that were surplus from a defense contractor. They look and smell clean. No indication of previous contents.

The question. Is there an accepted cleaning procedure for SS to make it food safe? My guess is no, but there are a lot of smart people here that will know better.

Thanks,
Ritter
Stainless
Swill Maker

Re: Cleaning SS kegs (not beer) of unknown use

Post by Stainless »

Hi, Not knowing what they previously held would make me wary of drinking anything from them. Is there not any labels or markings on them to give you a clue? Do you know what sort of defence work the contracter was involved in? Do they glow in the dark?
IF you feel safe enough using them, don't wash them out with any caustic/ hydrochloric acids or bleach. can you wash em with a steam cleaner and then use vinegar/water, thats a lot of vinegar to buy. Personally, I would want to know what was in them. I was going to buy a 150litre stainless drum for a fermenter until I found out what they had been used for, off-hand I cant remember what it was but when I looked it up on wikipedia I ran away fast.
Hope this helps in some way.
Cheers
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Make darn sure you know what was in those containers before using them for making potable spirits... The life you save could be your own, or that of a loved one... A little bit of lead solder in a still would pale in comparison to what could have been in those containers...
TOAD
Bootlegger

Post by TOAD »

Even a new unused SS container may have something nastie on it from the manufacturing process.

+1 on steam cleaning

Im interested in what other cleaning processes anyone else can think of.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. Lamb Of God

KCSO- keep calm, shine on
Billy
Novice

Post by Billy »

Why would diluted bleach be so bad if you steam cleaned it afterword then did a vinagar and sacrafical alchahol run? You can use bleach to purify water to drink. and its used to steralize cuting boards in resturaunts.
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi, hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid in the US, causes surface corrosion on stainless and bleaches containing chlorine can cause surface staining,pitting and corrosion. Also, never clean stainless with a steel wire brush coz the stainless will rust, usse a stainless wire brush.
Hth
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"bleaches containing chlorine can cause surface staining,pitting and corrosion. "
yes it is,I use potassium hydroxide,cheep,not reactive with stainless,but is with brass,aluminum.
not toxic to yeast in DILUTED form.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Having worked with chemical plant startups since the 70's, i wouldn't use the kegs unless the previous contents were known. Probably ok after cleaning, might be deadly after cleaning. Minimum would be steam cleaning and then several full keg high wine (40%) runs, if you have a spare body.
Edit- Might make one fine worm bucket and flake stand fron the 2 small containers.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
redmud
Swill Maker

Post by redmud »

Why not just ask the guy you got them from what was in them. Tell em you want to know if they would would be safe to catch rainwater for your vegetable garden water.
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

Stainless steel is also susceptible to a degredation known as Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking. Put any amount of heat on SS that has been contaminated with a concentration of 150 ppm chlorides can start the Ss to crack. These become extremely hard to clean out and a great place for all kinds of Gremlins to take up residence.
zimne_piwo
Novice

Post by zimne_piwo »

I would buy brand new ss kegs. You only get one liver.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

redmud wrote:Why not just ask the guy you got them from what was in them. Tell em you want to know if they would would be safe to catch rainwater for your vegetable garden water.
Seems the best answer to me
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

Edward Ronald wrote:hydrochloric acid is one of the best solution for Cleaning SS kegs. It is also known as: muriatic acid. I am not in favor to use clean stainless with a steel wire brush.
Ed: better check that. Hydrochloric acid has severe degredation results on stainless steel. Definitely NOT recommended for use with 304 and 316 grades of stainless steel at any concentration or temperature. It will result in removal of the passive oxide layers, crevice and pitting corrosion result. Along with the chloride content chloride stress corrosion cracking WILL occur.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

zimne_piwo wrote:I would buy brand new ss kegs. You only get one liver.
Isn't your liver is the only organ that can regrow its self. . . :D
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Every see a SS keg with rust in the scratches? There is a way to stop it!

If you clean or scuff SS with anything there is a process called passivation.

Cleaning and passivation of stainless steel has conventionally been accomplished by immersing the steel in a nitric acid bath. This process is both hazardous and environmentally unfriendly. The current method is citric acid based cleaner and passivator that replaces the old nitric acid systems.

After cleaning No matter how, make a solution citric acid or straight lemon juice and soak.

Read more here....http://www.citrisurf.com/whatis.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

SS will re passivate with contact to air as well, slower but still works fine
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Alright I know this is an old thread but its the beat place I could find to ask my question. I found out I can get uses 55 gal steel drums from work. They were used for coolant that we use in the machines. I know this is a VERY long shot, but is it possible to clean one up to ferment in? My gut says hell no...but I'd hate to find out years down the road that I could have a free 55 gal fermenter with a little elbow grease!!!

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions guys, I appreciate it!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

They are stainless steel?

Knowing what was in them before is your only advantage here. Get the MSDS sheet for the liquid that was in them and go from there.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

DAD300 wrote:They are stainless steel?

Knowing what was in them before is your only advantage here. Get the MSDS sheet for the liquid that was in them and go from there.
I need to do more homework. Should have before I asked. All I know is they are steel. Not even sure about linings in them. I can get MSDS with no problem..... there are none available for me to tear apart right now. Just keeping am eye out for one at the moment. Worst case I'll get a nice burn barrel!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

As I recall, they do make liners for most common sized barrels... Heck, years ago we used garbage bags as liners for making wine in various containers - back before they were considered biodegradable... Google "barrel liners"... That expands the possibilities for many here...
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Now a days they also line steel (not SS) barrels with synthetic spray coatings...even for Alcohol.
DSP-AR-20005
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I've seen a SS barrel refurbishing buisness that shared their process. For SS barrels they clean with caustic soda and then wash the soda off with a light degreaser like dish soap.

If there is any surface rust or blemishes after that, then passivate the stainless with an approved acid. O

Of course this information is only applies when reconditioning real stainless steel barrels.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

Sorry for the old thread revival I was offered a ss keg it was the huge type about 4ft wide and 5ft tall from a garden center there I was thinking wahoo bargain its freeeeee must be for rain water it wasnt untill I loaded it into the works van I asked the center owner how much water it held he said I dont have a clue its been used for weed killer for the last 25 years had a pump system in it and everything, I begrudgingly unloaded it and said sorry but it was for use for my allotment and the weedkiller would of leached into the metal for to long to deem it safe ...... keg liners damn it why didnt I think of that :roll:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Sanke kegs are cleaned / sanatized / repassivated with a mixture of phosphoric and nitric acids (among other things, like steam if you have it available). Five Star checmials makes an acid blend specifically made for this purpose. https://foxxequipment.com/product/five- ... al-pr-8093

There's some jenky info in this thread. Oh yea don't drink product out of some industrial use keg...get on craigslist and buy a sanke.