stilling indoors...

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

upstatemoonshine
Novice

stilling indoors...

Post by upstatemoonshine »

hey all,

i've been distilling indoors for 2-3 years. it works great for me cuz its private and i can use tap water and 220 power in my basement. granted i have had one or two close calls where a spill occurs or a vapor leak but i am pretty good at shutting it down and cleaning up or fixing the leak before i restart. since then i have fine tuned and redesigned my machine so its more user friendly and safer.

now my wife is 5 months pregnant and shes a little paranoid about doing it inside the house, birth defects or possible miscarriage from the process... i doubt it could cause such things. i just wanted to check with a few of you guys with more experience to see if you had heard about health problems from distilling indoors.... its not like she drinks any of it at all, never has prolly never will.

here's a link to a PIC OF MY STILL
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
upstatemoonshine
Novice

Re: stilling indoors...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=25753

and heres a pic of my last 2 stripping runs in a carboy----- ill do another run or two befor i do i spirit run and filter it all befor its ready
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

unless she's beside the still breathing in alcohol fumes then I wouldn't worry about a thing

espesially since if your still isn't condensing all the vapour, you wouldn't be running it :)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you run the still properly the only way to cause any issues with the pregnancy is if the wife stresses out... There would be nothing to effect your wife's health by distilling safely indoors... Some folks tend to worry too much, and this often times gets exacerbated by pregnancy... We humans are far more resilient than we give ourselves credit for...

What's with the synthetics on the still head...???
upstatemoonshine
Novice

The black rubber connector is because i used a copper cap but i did not care to solder it on So i can clean out the pipes
stevenun
Novice

Post by stevenun »

I guess the real risk would be exploding stills or leaks putting alcohol vapors in the air. My friend runs his still on the electric stove. It's a stock pot still with a worm in a five gallon bucket. He doesn't have a garage and has neighbors, so it's inside or nothing. He has run it many times with no issues. He leaves the back door open in case of vapor leaks or the need to leave quickly due to sudden catastrophic failure. There was one leak due to a bad clamp but it was fixed quickly.
Look here brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, but just get me through this one thing, and I can go back to killing you with beer. -Homer Simpson
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

upstatemoonshine wrote:The black rubber connector is because i used a copper cap but i did not care to solder it on So i can clean out the pipes
Here is a picture of my cap. It comes on and off, and doesn't leak. Not much more to add there...

Not sure why you feel the rubber is necessary. :think:
Attachments
DSCN0547 (800 x 600).jpg
Bugflipper
Novice

Post by Bugflipper »

Likely not, beyond explosion or her worrying herself and whatever emotional stuff can translate to problems carrying it. Depends on your relationship though. Is she the type that you tell to shut the hell up and she listens, never bringing up the topic again?
If not your fighting a losing battle. Just put it in a shed and be done with it. Won't have to have arguments over that for years to come. Better than getting blamed for JR doing poorly in school or screwing the baby sitter.
Molon Labe