Filter Material & Fitting Questions

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

muddog
Bootlegger

Filter Material & Fitting Questions

Post by muddog »

Got a plastic 55 Gal. pickle barrel to ferment in. It's been steam cleaned ,no odor. As a bonus it came with a false bottom. The holes are too large but,
I found this: http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?qu ... r+%2Bsheet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Could I use it on top of the false bottom for filtering . Does it need to be PFTE coated ?
I would like to put a drain near the bottom, is there an alternative to stainless for fittings ? Thanks, Muddog
Simple pot still for simple likker
Moonshine and oysters, the breakfast of champions
"Don't turn on the lights cause I don't wanna see. Mama told me not to come" Randy Newman
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Filter Material & Fitting Questions

Post by acfixer69 »

PVC it good. Its a fermentor food grade is the standard SS is for high the ABV stuff.

AC
Bugflipper
Novice

Post by Bugflipper »

No need for ptfe or stainless spigot. It'll be low proof. Plastic is fine with that.
Ever thought of putting your grains in a bag? When the ferment is done hang it above the water line and let it drip excess liquid out. Much less settling time needed since most of the stuff stays in the bag.
Molon Labe
muddog
Bootlegger

Post by muddog »

This barrel came with a false bottom, the holes are kinda big ,so I ordered some polyester mesh to go on bottom. I doing sour mash ,it's easier to leave in barrel and bottom drain. The polyester will filter good enough for me. Thanks, Muddog
Attachments
DSC00170.JPG
Simple pot still for simple likker
Moonshine and oysters, the breakfast of champions
"Don't turn on the lights cause I don't wanna see. Mama told me not to come" Randy Newman