What would you do??

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

SoMo
Distiller

What would you do??

Post by SoMo »

So I'm in the local home brew store and a employee and two fellas are talking distilling, I listen for a few minutes and what I hear is astonishingly absurd. These guys are making (mash) basically a high SG Ujssm for a 30gal boiler with a reflux column pulling 80% and keeping every drop, no idea what foreshots or heads are, believing yeast is converting corn to sugar, and turbos are the shit, but it doesn't taste very good, they were also buying rubber O rings and gaskets. wonder why??
What would you do?

I'm in Mo where the state is ok with distilling but Feds not. I referred them here to HD, but they have no Internet, I politely passed on a little knowledge aided eventually by the shop owner, who distills himself. They seemed shocked that what they were doing was dangerous and had so many unsafe variables. To see the least I'm very great full for the knowledge passed on by this forum and seeing how unsafe some can be is very alarming. But ask yourself,
What would you do?, by the way the shop owner sent them out with some real DADY and a loaner book, Moonshine the history.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: What would you do??

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sounds like they already read that book. Not the best around. LOL

I did something close. In my case the guy at the homebrew shop was feeding the guy a line about needing to use turbos. And carbon filtering. That it was the only way to go. Instead of confronting them in the store. And getting on the bad side of the owner. I approached the guy in the parking lot. I handed him a piece of paper. With the address of HD on it. And simply told him. What the owner was telling him was not true. And there are much better ways. And if he would really like to learn those ways. He should checkout HD. He looked at me and said. Thank you very much.

It would be nice to be able to openly talk to these people. And help education them better.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

We spoke quite a while, I just hope they understand the foreshots, heads business. They said you should see the 100gal boiler our friend made from steel barrels! I was shocked, this is a classic example of the ignorance that hinders our progress into outright legality. I'm sure they were selling and their friend too.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It is scary. At least they listened to you. I love It when tell someone they are doing something unsafe. And they get defensive and either don't listen to you. Or tell you go ef yourself. In their own way.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

They seemed to understand at least the fores idea, but I think their motives weren't the best.