Mile hi

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mile hi

Post by T-Pee »

Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

heartcut wrote:A 2" triclamp gasket will require somebody with a razor knife and steady, strong hands to cut off the part that fits in the non existent groove on the keg. If you fail as badly as I did, flour paste will do fine.
Do you know of any ptfe I wouldn't have to do modifications to?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Diesel410 wrote:
heartcut wrote:A 2" triclamp gasket will require somebody with a razor knife and steady, strong hands to cut off the part that fits in the non existent groove on the keg. If you fail as badly as I did, flour paste will do fine.
Another option is to buy a 1'x1' sheet of ptfe and cut your gasket out. I found pre made odd sized ptfe gaskets before but they were were not worth the high price, and not guaranteed to work.

You are best off taking the advice you already got. Unless you are disabled and physically can't do it.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

bearriver wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:
Another option is to buy a 1'x1' sheet of ptfe and cut your gasket out. I found pre made odd sized ptfe gaskets before but they were were not worth the high price, and not guaranteed to work.

You are best off taking the advice you already got. Unless you are disabled and physically can't do it.
Where did you buy your ptfe sheet?
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

Actually what if I just run plumbers tape around the top of the keg and the bottom of the tower? That should work
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Silicon is chemically inert. Methylated silicone wont react with Ethanol at all.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

DuckofDeath wrote:Silicon is chemically inert. Methylated silicone wont react with Ethanol at all.
This has been beaten to death a thousand times over. Silicone is not safe. Read rule #8 in the rules we live by.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5090

Read these also.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=26129

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=11187

I can tell your not the senior member that you share your name with. A touch disrespectful maybe? :think:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Diesel410 wrote:Actually what if I just run plumbers tape around the top of the keg and the bottom of the tower? That should work
That's a great idea I've seen used before. Should work just fine as long as it is sturdy and has some pressure on the seal. :thumbup:
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

ukeman wrote:Hey guys,

I see the 2 inch PTFE triclamp gaskets are pretty available (from Glacier Tanks for example), but what should I use to replace the large silicon gasket between the milk can and the milk can lid? They are currently using Silicone gasket for milk can lids 7 1/4" ID x 8 1/4" OD.

Would I use PTFE for this as well? Will the PTFE form a proper seal in this flat face to face location? Any idea where to get a PTFE gasket this big?

Thanks!
There are tri-clamp gaskets out there that have a rubber core and are encapsulated/enveloped, in PTFE. ......but, be prepared for sticker shock on the price of an 8" gasket.

If you need to have an encapsulated one that is flat (with no o-ring profile), it might be a "difficult to find" item, so I will leave that research up to you. You may be able to find flat versions out there, but I am not sure about that.

Anyway, here is a pic and illustration of the sanitary tri-clamp style of them, for you. .....and other members that may be interested.

This one has rubber exposed at the outer edge of the gasket, as depicted at the lower right corner of the pic.
07_large.jpg
07_large.jpg (11.29 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Here are some other styles of encapsulated/enveloped tri-clamp gaskets:
types of gasket.jpg
I would think that the PolyFlex version would be the best choice for sealing in the "exterior leaking, and non-contact of alcohol vapor to rubber" department, at least that is my personal opinion. There are also "totally encapsulated" versions out there as well, that are not depicted in the above picture..

There are several manufacturers of them, just do a Google search for "encapsulated tri clamp gaskets"

HERE is one mfg'r of them. If you do get one, make sure to get a pure PTFE one, and not a TFM one, as they are a molecularly modified version of PTFE (read: untested for our purposes).
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

bearriver wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:Actually what if I just run plumbers tape around the top of the keg and the bottom of the tower? That should work
That's a great idea I've seen used before. Should work just fine as long as it is sturdy and has some pressure on the seal. :thumbup:
It should work I think a tri clamp should hold it down for enough pressure.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

bearriver wrote:
DuckofDeath wrote:Silicon is chemically inert. Methylated silicone wont react with Ethanol at all.
This has been beaten to death a thousand times over. Silicone is not safe. Read rule #8 in the rules we live by.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5090 Rule #8 is plastics. Dimethylated Silicon is not plastic

Read these also.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=26129

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=11187 Also once again plastic.

I can tell your not the senior member that you share your name with. A touch disrespectful maybe? :think:
- I am the one and only DuckofDeath
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Oh I guess your right... :oops: He's a rubber duck. Dunno how I f'd that up...

Anyways yes, silicone should be safe with ethanol. But we are not distilling pure ethanol. There is a myriad of other chemicals in their vapor form that will degrade your silicone and leech into the distillate.
ukeman
Novice

Post by ukeman »

Thanks Soggy! Appreciate the input! Looked at the link you provided but I am guessing it will be pretty expensive to have something shipped from India. Something local would be ideal.

Has anybody on here actually replaced the silicone gasket on their Mile Hi milk can boiler? If so, what did you use? There are so many options and opinions out there.
Electric 8 Gallon Mile Hi Traditional Pot Still with 12 inch extension for additional copper packing.

DO OR DO NOT! THERE IS NO TRY!
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

ukeman wrote:Thanks Soggy! Appreciate the input! Looked at the link you provided but I am guessing it will be pretty expensive to have something shipped from India. Something local would be ideal.

Has anybody on here actually replaced the silicone gasket on their Mile Hi milk can boiler? If so, what did you use? There are so many options and opinions out there.
What if you just wrapped plumbers tape around where you need a seal?
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

bearriver wrote:Oh I guess your right... :oops: He's a rubber duck. Dunno how I f'd that up...
You must have confused him with English Bob, the "Duke of Death"
unforgiven87.jpeg
unforgiven87.jpeg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

....Duck, I says!
Unforgiven_Final_Forum_01.jpg
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEFLON-TRI-CLOV ... 4897.l5662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Be mindful to dog your clamps down good and tight,,,, particularly with an open flame.
Teflon sil gaskets frequently leak till they come to temp.

Nobody makes money on gaskets btw.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

Well I got my ptfe gaskets in (the ones in the link from my above post) and I have never held them before but they feel like plastic to me. And not like the plumbers tape material. Also they came with no paper work so I don't know. Does this sound normal?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Diesel410 wrote:Well I got my ptfe gaskets in (the ones in the link from my above post) and I have never held them before but they feel like plastic to me. And not like the plumbers tape material. Also they came with no paper work so I don't know. Does this sound normal?
Yes .
They are quite rigid.

LWTCS wrote:Be mindful to dog your clamps down good and tight,,,, particularly with an open flame.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

LWTCS wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:Well I got my ptfe gaskets in (the ones in the link from my above post) and I have never held them before but they feel like plastic to me. And not like the plumbers tape material. Also they came with no paper work so I don't know. Does this sound normal?
Yes .
They are quite rigid.

LWTCS wrote:Be mindful to dog your clamps down good and tight,,,, particularly with an open flame.
Ok thanks
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

It would've been nice if they would've at least sent me a receipt or certification letter for the gaskets
Perry85
Novice

Post by Perry85 »

I've got a tower from mile hi and had it for a few years now and have made many runs thru it. The gasket they sent with it and the bung in the top of it have worked fine for me. I haven't noticed any off flavores from the bung and the silicone or rubber gasket whatever the hell it is. The shit hasn't killed me yet so I guess it's good :)
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Hoo boy. :silent:

tp
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Perry85 wrote:....... I haven't noticed any off flavores from the bung and the silicone or rubber gasket whatever the hell it is. The shit hasn't killed me yet so I guess it's good :)
May not have tasted it
May not of killed ya...
Doesn't mean you haven't drank any of its Nasties.....
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

The Rules We Live By wrote:8. These forums take a very strong negative view on the usage of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use in any area of hobby distilling (however HPDE buckets are acceptable for fermentation.) There simply are too many types of plastics and lack of reliable information about plastics, for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. There is a forum for proven info for or against any material (material/safety.)
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Perry85 wrote:The shit hasn't killed me yet so I guess it's good :)
Had the shits lately? Image

tp
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Lots of folks survived car radiator shine, lead solder and anthrax, doesn't mean it's a good strategy.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden