Liebig huffing; vapor coming past?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

benjammin
Novice

Liebig huffing; vapor coming past?

Post by benjammin »

So running the setup today, and even running at low temp, if I stick my ear to output of liebog I get huffing. Faint but still there. Is that vapor coming through uncondensed? The woman said it smelled out in the ol shack, and i got to thinkin... all electric setup without any turbulence in the condensor. 36" 1/2 in 3/4 jacket at 45deg. off a 2" pot still with about 2000 watts running... I can put the ear at opening and just a gentle huff... is that spirit vapor comming though?!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Liebig huffing; vapor coming past?

Post by shadylane »

I can put the ear at opening and just a gentle huff... is that spirit vapor comming though?!

Your probably hearing the pot boil.
Sounds like an excellent way to remove ear wax.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

One vigorous huff will break you of the habit of using your ear as a test medium at the end of a condenser pipe .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
muddog
Bootlegger

Post by muddog »

Truckinbutch wrote:One vigorous huff will break you of the habit of using your ear as a test medium at the end of a condenser pipe
shadylane wrote:I can put the ear at opening and just a gentle huff... is that spirit vapor comming though?!

Your probably hearing the pot boil.
Sounds like an excellent way to remove ear wax.
I don't know which of those answers I laughed harder at.
SL,
How big is your boiler ?
How hard are you runnin?
How hot is your water jacket?
How much wash in pot?
If all factors are normal, then it is most likely you are hearing the boil.
If your jacket's hot, increase water flow.
Don't listen to SL, TB's advice is much better. :D Don't stick your ear to it no mo.
That's the best I can tell ya. Muddog
Simple pot still for simple likker
Moonshine and oysters, the breakfast of champions
"Don't turn on the lights cause I don't wanna see. Mama told me not to come" Randy Newman
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

take a piece of scrubbie and put it in the end of your liebig this usually stops small huffing problems
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

From what Ive read huffing is caused by the hot vapors collapsing to quickly, If you can adjust the water supply to your condenser so that the bottom of the condenser is warm to the touch and the top of the condenser is still cool it should stop or at least lessen the huffing. The scubbie idea also works, combine both and every thing should run smoother.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Saltbush Bill wrote:From what Ive read huffing is caused by the hot vapors collapsing to quickly, If you can adjust the water supply to your condenser so that the bottom of the condenser is warm to the touch and the top of the condenser is still cool it should stop or at least lessen the huffing. The scubbie idea also works, combine both and every thing should run smoother.
That would be the other way around, top warm, bottom cool
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

+1 Belly nice catch, I once had a 36 " liebig and a pot running on a 2000 w element. Water in the bottom and out the top and like jholmz said add some copper scrubbie rolled up and stretched out to the inside of the liebig make sure you dont pack it tight. I believe controlling the discharge side of the cooling water with steady pressure on the intake side keeps the liebig full at all times. 36" liebig and a 2000w element the first 6-8 inches got hot maybe a little more on a strip run.
Fail to plan == plan to fail
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Errrrrr yeah thanks for the correction Belly, I might have had a few to many UJ's at the time of typing that.