Lead in copper tubing

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aquafish
Novice

Lead in copper tubing

Post by Aquafish »

Does anyone know about lead in the copper tubing sold in the US? I researched copper tubing sold at Lowe's and found all said they contained low lead levels under the specificatios section; they were Mueller products. Some say they are NSF certified, still with low lead, and others not NSF certified. Just looking to get the right tubing. Any suggestions on what copper tubing to buy that's lead free, 1/4 inch?
dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Re: Lead in copper tubing

Post by dirtymax731 »

I'd say if its copper its lead free. Nsf means its lead free (well less than .25% which is nothing).

Idk what your building but generally 1/4 pipe is way too small
Sent while napping in a cherry orchard
ethanol+
Novice

Post by ethanol+ »

I am new on here but this is kind of my up my alley, I am a plumber from Ontario. If your purchasing any copper pipe please look for a csa number on it or an astm designation If your going to use DWV Pipe in your tower its ASTM B306, having .25 % copper content and for seamless water pipe its ASTM B88. these numbers should be marked on the pipe. stay in the plumbing section of your supplier that way your not going to get copper pipe they use in the heating and air-conditioning equipment. Buy lead free solder too
Stevenav
Novice

Post by Stevenav »

Now THAT sir, is a helpful and AWESOME post.

Not only have you given us the benefit of your professional knowledge, but you gave super clear and clean answers to help people get the right stuff. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman and I'd count it my honor to buy you a drink any time of your choosing.
ethanol+
Novice

Post by ethanol+ »

hey thanks man, a lot of people have helped me on here so its nice to help back. I have a small edit to that post as well, that was supposed to say " .25 % lead content in the copper"
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Almost all copper contains really tiny amounts of lead, zinc, nickel, arsenic, cadmium, selenium, tellurium, platinum, gold and silver. The copper anode plants are pretty gnarly, poisonous metals and lots of sulphuric acid.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ethanol+ wrote:I am new on here but this is kind of my up my alley, I am a plumber from Ontario. If your purchasing any copper pipe please look for a csa number on it or an astm designation If your going to use DWV Pipe in your tower its ASTM B306, having .25 % copper content and for seamless water pipe its ASTM B88. these numbers should be marked on the pipe. stay in the plumbing section of your supplier that way your not going to get copper pipe they use in the heating and air-conditioning equipment. Buy lead free solder too
Why you running away from ACR tubing it is type "L" just cleaner, oil free, dehydrated, filled with nitrogen and caped to keep oxidation out.

AC
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

What AC said, HVAC copper is made from the same feedstock as plumbing and presented a lot cleaner.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

I was a chemist once long ago, never used my degree.

We learned a lot about the atom, obviously, and to say they are small is a gross understatement. Atoms of just about every element known are in everything. When you inhale, argon atoms in the air contacting your lungs also visited the lungs of every human that has ever inhabited the earth before you... Caesar, Jesus, Thak the neanderthal.

My point is that your body has lead in it, so does your drinking water, the salad you eat, everything. The crux is the quantity. And if it's copper, the quantity is safe. The metals to avoid are those with ADDED lead. Lead creates an excellent bearing surface and makes metals machine beautifully, and brass traditionally has added lead, as does most bronzes.

With respect to Ethanol+ who knows his business, I'd not hesitate to use HVAC copper so long as I could confirm it has no added lead. And I am currently using "lead free" brass in portions of my build right now. YMMV, as always, be safe and it's an individual choice.