Old Coffee Dispensers

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Old Coffee Dispensers

Post by cranky »

I tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. I'm not sure how this happens but inevitably it does. A while back I picked up some real nice old 10 gallon military coffee dispensers with the intention of reselling them.
102_7303.JPG
However as often happens one thing led to another and that hasn't happened yet. Then one day an idea started bouncing around in my brain, I started thinking these things might just make some pretty nice boilers. This was the start of a process that others may find themselves in with potentially catastrophic results so I decided to let everybody know the potential danger these things pose.
On the surface these coffee dispensers are almost ideal for a boiler. They are 2 layers of stainless steel with insulation in between
DISP 3.jpg
and have a nice big 6 inch opening at the top which would allow you to reach inside for easy cleaning should the need arise.
DISP 5.jpg
They do come with lids that lock down and seal but use rubber, however if you remove the seal and lid you can easily clamp a 6 inch stainless steel bowl to the opening and adapt it to whatever size takeoff you want.
DISP 6.jpg
DISP 7.jpg
And they just look cool.
Of course there are some things that are less than ideal but most of them are easily dealt with. The first is that the inside diameter is only 10.5 inches. This makes fitting it with a heating element a bit restrictive and limits you to a short element. The biggest I could find that would fit was 3500 watts. To me that's not really a big deal, I could always install 2 elements for a total potential of 7000 watts, which should heat up 8 gallons of wash pretty darn fast. So no big deal there.
Of course you need to mount those elements and that brings us to obstacle #2. Although a problem, this is also one of the things that make them seem ideal, the double wall. My thought here was to cut a 3 or 4 inch diameter hole in the outer wall, remove the insulation from that area then drill a hole in the inner wall the right size to fit a 1 inch fitting and solder, braze or weld a fitting in for the heating elements. I thought about maybe using the method of putting a nut on the element from the inside but think that wouldn't work due to the diameter.

The last obstacle is the one that I found insurmountable and is the reason this post is in safety instead of somewhere else and that is the insulation itself.

Now obviously this insulation makes these impossible to use with a banjo burner but you might think that the insulation is what makes these ideal for an electric boiler. That might be true if it weren't for one thing. That one thing came to me at 3AM one morning when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I started thinking about the label on the outside where it proudly boasts that the insulation was blown in using DuPont freon.
DISP 4.jpg
I know what some may think, "so they used freon to blow it in, that was a long time ago". but that freon IS a HUGE deal, some of you may know this already but living in a largely post freon age many of you may not know that when you heat freon you can get Phosgene gas! Again some of you may know this but for those who don't, Phosgene gas is a very potent nerve agent. A small puff of it can have toxic effects that will last a lifetime which may turn out to be a very short time or make you wish it were.

Why be concerned about something that was only used as a propellant? Well a quick Internet search revealed that "Most of the Freon remains in the foam’s cells." So most of the freon remains in the foam and there is risk of heating that foam to the point of releasing Phosgene gas using welding, brazing or soldering with your face in close proximity to any toxins that may be released. Even if it is a small risk it is not worth taking. So the coffee dispensers are destined for resale once again or maybe use as fermentors or storage but they will not be used as boilers.

A few people on here have come across the 5 gallon version of these containers and cut the bottom out and removed some of the insulation then used them with banjo type burners. In some cases the insulation is fiberglass, in others it's foam. The labels are only thin foil and over time may be worn off, so be careful if you come across these and be mindful that this foam exists and holds the potential to ruin your health or even kill you in a single breath of a little puff of smoke.
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Re: Old Coffee Dispensers

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

Use 'em to store stripped runs for a future spirit run, ....or feints, ....or agin' likker!!!! I wouldn't get rid of them if I were you.
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice safety write-up I hope others take time to read it. I also before getting to the freon was worried about others cutting into anything that has double insulation to make drain ports or anything like that. My other concern for using it as a boiler might be the diameter to height ratio as putting a tall column on it could cause stability issues.

On a similar subject when I was researching vapor baskets I thought about making them out of stainless steel coffee cups but as most of them have double insulation similar issues arise!

However as Soggy Bottom suggests they do have potential for other uses.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Wow! Great Safety Article. Thanks for sharing. Now, get some sleep. ;)
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thanks for the comments guys. :)
I know the article is a bit long, I do tend to get a bit wordy, and that may result in some people not reading it but I hope anybody who comes across these does a search before cutting into them and finds this.
Who knew that this sort of thing existed? I didn't and if they weren't labeled and I hadn't taken an auto class in high school I may have made a big mistake that you guys never would have found out about.
They do have a lot of uses and they are cool although someone I know told me if the neighbors saw them they might think I was making meth. :shock: I'm not sure how that is made but I know they have to go rapidly from hot to cold, which is why they also need to use old pyrex, and I think maybe some TV shows show them using liquid nitrogen for that.
Another thing I found in my research is that automotive brake cleaner also converts to Phosgene when heated and occasionally people who are in a hurry to weld something that is greasy will try to degrease with brake cleaner and get phosgened as a result. :wtf:
With everything that can kill you out there it is amazing we ever manage to get anything done safely
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Since they are meant for hot coffee, I bet they would be great for mashing grains.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

RevSpaminator wrote:Since they are meant for hot coffee, I bet they would be great for mashing grains.
Good idea. They would be perfect for that.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

cranky wrote:
RevSpaminator wrote:Since they are meant for hot coffee, I bet they would be great for mashing grains.
Good idea. They would be perfect for that.
+1 and use some for aging in great find anyhow!
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"