Olive Barrel

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Olive Barrel

Post by MyUncleMo »

I have a food grade olive barrel, 220l that is terra cotta in color and has the image of a fork and a wine glass next to the size.

There were olives in it at one time, the covers retaining ring had a gasket that stunk - got rid of it and the stink went away.

Now I have this rain barrel that might be handy to ferment this seasons Hook Rum run.

Summertime is busy work season for me. Once the rain starts, my clients would rather be indoors unless they NEED to be outside.

So i get alot of free time to spend with my family during the colder months, and get to spend time enjoying hobby time.

Since I confirmed that I do not like apple brandy - or the apple shine that I made... or any brandy for that matter, I will leave that for special requests.
That AppleShine came out pretty good according to the folks that watched our house while we were on summer vacation. They enjoyed it and gave compliments!

The Hook Rum though is the stuff I like to drink - and I am sure this would be enough ferment to make it through 4 stripping runs.

Is it safe to use for a ferment though?
thanks in advance
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Olive Barrel

Post by bearriver »

I use the same size fermenters. 55 gallon screw tops with the same picture on the side. Works great. You would have tossed the gaskets anyway to keep a "loose fitting lid" anyways. Simply screw it down till it stops and forget about the gasket or airlocks.

From my experience, a 50 gal ferment yields 4 strips per spirit run in a 15.5 keg still.
IdahoStiller
Novice

Post by IdahoStiller »

I use the same barrel and it's great. Toss the gasket, no air lock just as bear river said. Hardest part was reaching inside to install the nut on the valve. Got to have long arms or a small child. I wonder if bear and I got our barrels at the same place? ?
I have never made love to a 10 but one night I had five 2's and I think that should count man.
George Carlin
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Mine came from Northern California.
The gaskets got tossed as soon as I got them. PeeeeeeU!
Use a handy grabber to hold that nut!
The weight of one of these with all that liquid makes me shutter.
Maybe I can do a half barrel!
thanks again for your input
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975