Great Ball of Fire

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Great Ball of Fire

Post by Hound Dog »

I was doing stripping runs last night. My boiler is made from copper sheet. The top has a 6" ring made of copper bar stock so my still heads fit on the old fashioned way by friction fit into this ring and a seal of flour and a strip of cloth. Not as efficient as a triclamp but it was my first boiler and the design has worked ever since so... :roll: I use propane also.

My first strip went fine. Emptied her out and loaded up for round two. This is where it got exciting in my garage. Took off some fores and they were pretty hot so obviously the water in my barrel was to warm from the last run. No biggie, I have the hose right here so I just add more water and let the hot go out the over flow. I do this, sit back down (stripping run, collect in gallon jugs since there are no cuts) about a quart into it, THUMP! The head pops off my boiler and there is a FIREBALL in my garage. :esurprised: Fortunately, I am sitting by the worm with a hose and spray nozzle. The wife/still hand pops right to the workbench where my two fire extinguishers are (thank god those messy things weren't needed). We reacted smooth 8) . I spayed the fire out in seconds with the hose then she set down the extinguisher and got the tank shut down (propane tank is a large one I keep outside the garage).

What happened? A couple of things. One, I did not tap the head into the ring very well. I usually lightly tap it with a dead blow mallet to get a good fit, not driving it in, just tapping it. This time I just hit it with the heel if my hand a couple times and wrapped it with flour.

I think my biggest mistake could have involved shock cooling though. My worm is 5/8" OD coil, 50', I have it wound and braced very well so it is even with no low spots but the slope is very gradual. I have always noticed that if I just add water to the top it interrupts the output flow by messing up the gradient. When stilling I always insert a pipe to the bottom of the barrel and add the water to maintain the gradient. This time I figured it did not matter since it was just a stripping run, who cares about smearing and such.

Well thinking about it, if you have a heavy stream coming out and it stops when you add fresh water, where did it go? It built up higher in the coils. :crazy: This probably dammed the coil up with distillate causing some back pressure. The head not being very secure just either popped or sprung a leak that ignited and blew. Either way, I was being sloppy and that was dangerous :oops: .

I have often thought too that bigger is better for anything cooling wise. I guess there is a limit to this. While the larger worm does cool well, that is a long way for a large volume to travel when striping. I can foresee a condenser build coming up this winter for stripping runs. Right now I guess, I will just throttle it back a bit.

And yes I know..... This is one more example of why an electric still is safer than using propane..... :moresarcasm: Maybe one day.

Good thing is nothing burned but the concrete floor and my copper boiler. The bikes are safe. Water puts out alcohol just fine.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Great Ball of Fire

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Glad you were alert and averted a complete catastrophe. Damned good reason for going electric.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Good for you were close! As you should be, but all worked as should have.

Don't think triclamp is safer. A year ago or so, I had a triclamp to keg gasket failure that dribbled alcohol onto keg top, under insulation and it went woompf! Like you I was right there with hose and it was a non event.

I often think electric is not safer...if it leads to a mindset that it can't catch fire, and it leaks vapor long enough that some other flame sets it off. With electric your garage might have filled with vapors before the hot water heater (or something else) ignited it. Not just fire, but BIG BANG!

These are great learning experiences, as I am sure you will now take nothing for granted.

Thanks for being willing to share...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yep. Just proves you should stay close and be prepared. I thought about what I said with the triclamp. Really, if I had just secured it properly like I did today and every other time it would have been fine. If there was a real blockage that weak joint is a pressure relief. Better than building enough pressure to split copper. It just popped like a big cork.

In the efforts of a faster strip I will be revisiting DAD's thread on condensers and doing something different when I get a little time. I have to build up a little stock first. Clean some junk out of my garage. Get some old appliances over to a buddy's house, fix my jeep, work on my chopper.........
Using Google Search

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have thought about installing a pressure switch to automatically shut off power, or gas, in any over-pressure event, but have never got around to it. I better go shopping in the near future.

50' of coil? Is that a typo?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

NZChris wrote:I have thought about installing a pressure switch to automatically shut off power, or gas, in any over-pressure event, but have never got around to it. I better go shopping in the near future.

50' of coil? Is that a typo?
Well, here you go!
Tuit.jpg
Tuit.jpg (613.1 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

NZChris wrote: 50' of coil? Is that a typo?
LOL! No NZ, it's not a typo. I built this before I found this forum for any research. Wrap this around a five gallon bucket for a mandrel, space the coils out about 3/4" or so and solder it all together, it fits OK in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan with a couple coils sticking up. Doesn't allow for much grade though. Never really thought that made much difference. Never had any problems with vapor getting through :P .
Using Google Search

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:clap: :clap: This is a huge success on your part . The pinnacle of the safety mantra we preach here . When your world went to shit you were there and prepared for it . AND HANDLED IT WELL :thumbup: Like you are expected to do . No panic ; just 'Houston , We have a problem', and then you took care of it and reported 'all secure'. Minimal damage 'learning experience'.
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Hounddog, I'd never thought about a worm getting water logged and causing the problem you had
But now that you mention it, I can see how it happened
Glad to hear the "Ohshit" moment worked out OK.
I've been using a manometer for a pressure safety release and to monitor the boiler pressure.
It's vented in a safe direction, outside the still house.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Glad the incident was relatively uneventful, with the possible except of some soiled undergarments... Part of the problem is that you are merely relying on a snug fit without any form of mechanical restraint... Some form of clip, wire, spring, bungee cord, etc, would help... Heck, even though I despise the practice, even a brick on top of the head would help... Don't run that rig again without some form of securing that head onto the boiler... If the head popped off once, it can do it again - perhaps sooner than you might expect...

Stay safe out there...!!! :thumbup:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

The tri clamp was not at issue. A pinched or improperly seated gasket will leak. Tri clamps are used by many industries to eliminate this kind of occurrence.
Glad you handled it so well. Tri clamp for sure.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Truckinbutch wrote::clap: :clap: This is a huge success on your part . The pinnacle of the safety mantra we preach here . When your world went to shit you were there and prepared for it . AND HANDLED IT WELL :thumbup: Like you are expected to do . No panic ; just 'Houston , We have a problem', and then you took care of it and reported 'all secure'. Minimal damage 'learning experience'.
That's what I want to say! The safety practices that are recommended here paid off in a big way when things went to shit. The way you dealt with this event is almost justification for it happening in the first place. Having the tools on hand and at the ready to deal with an emergency is a major part of being a responsible home distiller!!

Bravo brother! Thank you for being responsible!! When I get back to 'stillin' I'm going to have to review my safety precautions because of this.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Thanks for the good words guys. I have an over sized 2" coil 24" long of 3/8" over a 1/2" finger I made a while back. I just ordered two fittings and will make a 2" Dimroth condenser that should be able to handle striping runs without any restriction.

While I am at it, I think I will take Rad's advice and solder on a couple tabs to hook a spring to each side. The pot still head is light and a spring on each side would help. It shouldn't take brute force to secure it as there should not be a lot of pressure to begin with. My rig is for function anyway. She doesn't win any beauty contests so I can rig up what I want.

When running my column. Well, its packed with rock, weighs quite a bit and is tied off to a rafter to keep things secured. It can't go anywhere.
Using Google Search

googe
retired

Post by googe »

Glad it ended ok hounddog!, gets the blood pumping hey lol. Can you not put a clamp on it?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I would be putting my research efforts into how you achieved the air/fuel mix and ignition source that gave you the woof, rather than better ways of containing it.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

NZChris wrote:I would be putting my research efforts into how you achieved the air/fuel mix and ignition source that gave you the woof, rather than better ways of containing it.
I believe a little pressure built up from damming in the worm. Then a bit of sloppiness on my part had the head less than secure. When it came loose is likely when I had a problem. Lesson learned. Don't take anything for granted, take an extra step toward safety. At least I was prepared and that payed off no harm done and I can learn from my mistakes.
Using Google Search

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

googe wrote:Glad it ended ok hounddog!, gets the blood pumping hey lol. Can you not put a clamp on it?.
It is a hand hammered setup. You know the old pot still setups. The head that slips in is just sheet copper. It would be hard to make it a clamp setup but just a couple of eyelets and springs as Rad eluded to would hold the light pot still head secure.

When I converted a head for a column, I just mounted a column on top of a pot still head (looks like a big coffee can with a column on top) and it slips into the collar. I even added a bubble plate and sight glass in the column head. This setup is much to heavy to come loose much less, it is strapped to a rafter to keep it steady.
Using Google Search

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I'm glad it worked out to be a non-incident, but I'm confused as to how you built up pressure in the worm? If your gradient is good and liquid runs down hill at your place, how could it have caused a plug in the line and created back pressure, please explain??!! Seems to me from all my reading there was a mechanical failure from a non-liquid blockage somewhere.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

sltm1 wrote:I'm glad it worked out to be a non-incident, but I'm confused as to how you built up pressure in the worm? If your gradient is good and liquid runs down hill at your place, how could it have caused a plug in the line and created back pressure, please explain??!! Seems to me from all my reading there was a mechanical failure from a non-liquid blockage somewhere.
My theory is the worm is quite long, giving a gradual but even grade. This works fine for a medium speed run for regular pot stilling. I was running wide open for stripping, then I added fresh water to the top messing with the gradient and causing a bit of shock cooling. I noticed when adding fresh water, the flow would fluctuate or stop momentarily. This would be the distillate damming up faster than it is flowing out.

Or I could just be totally wrong and I just fucked up. Either way, an extra safety measure, less restrictive condenser and keeping vigilant about safety is still the order of the day.
Using Google Search

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Wish I had some thing intelligent to add to the conversation it was just an observation and still seems a bit strange. Then I've never used a worm, started with a leibg. Again, just glad there was no injury or damage.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"