Re: Ruby the CM queen safety related issues

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Hi HDNB,

I found a user manual here: https://www.adt.com/content/dam/adt/dow ... PC1616.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow .

For $100, it is certainly worth considering. Would you care to elaborate? If you had one attached to your system, for example, how would you configure it?

M
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

wired security devices are relatively inexpensive; 12 bucks for a (conductive) liquid sensor, 15 for a float level, 30 for a smoke, 20 for rate of rise. programmable hi/lo temps are a bit spendy as is LP and CO but you could tie in any sensors you are comfortable with if they change state on a dry contact.

the panels themselves can be programmed for many different types of alarms, for example "audible" that sends 12v to the bell cct. silent, which activates the communicator only, or "keypad". the PGM's are also programmable for different status ( it's been a while since i programmed one) so the possibilites are really endless.
you could have emergency situations: fire, smoke, rate of rise (fire without smoke), coolant flow sensors programmed to trigger the bell (piezo, siren, lights) and non emergcy like column temps are 200* (i.e. end of run) ring only a "keypad" (beeping of small piezo)

the environmental sensors for the room could be hardwired (cheaper) and the sensors on the still itself could be wireless (convenience), since they are fully supervised for proximity and battery and function, you can rest assured they are all working.

the IT 100 just takes the data stream of what is happening in the system and allows you to connect it to an automation system. for example it relates "zone 1 is open" to the automation controller. the control system would have a a "driver" installed in it that allows it to understand the IT100's language....then it has a a script for example "turn the light #1 on"... so when zone 1 opens, light 1 turns on.

the control system could have "actions" "conditionals" "loops" for example, when zone 1 opens, turn on light 1, "if" it is dark.

typically the apps for smart phones are dealer supported so they can turn a buck to keep the doors open...but the data stream is there open architecture for anyone bright enough to use it...and build an app.

thats a general overview. there are programming manuals available but i believe dsc.com password protects them, but others post them. a company called "tri-ed" distributes them and they come with a full manual. look for a programming manual, you have an "end user" manual in the link^^... you may have to "bs" a little to convince tri-ed to sell one to "HD security" (your new security company)... for automation ideas, visit control4.com or look for an older version of thier software called "composer" (the new stuff is uber-protected)
it will open your mind to how endless the possibilities really are.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

a little more... the control4 suggestion was mostly to get you thinking about automation software. a controller from them requires their software to run and you would have to be a dealer of some description to get it to do what you want.
i'm not a computer guy, but those raspberry Pi things sound just about perfect to create a bidirectional driver for a user interface.
but in reality the more i think about it... the security panel has more than enough logic on it already to manage the sensor array and take action based on the alarm outputs possible (keypad, bell and pgm) the only real reason to use the IT100 would be to send the data stream to a computer for logging or more complex automation actions

this company has already done a micro brewery and has written data logging software for their own sensor arrays that send live time data wi-fi to internet browsers... http://agssolutions.ca/home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I think its more for QC than safety.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

since the alarm system is fully supervised and has on board trouble diagnostics it could take action... "shutdown" ....for any alarm condition existing in the environment or on the still itself. done.
fire (15), smoke (35), over temp/end of run (15-200), coolant loss (15), coolant flow loss (20), collection point overflow (15), LP gas present (150?), CO gas present(60), alcohol vapour present (?) , and whatever else you want. ($?)

I could see using the automation software for scenarios like:

when product output temp is >163*
increase coolant flow 2 %
wait 20 seconds

when vapour temp reaches 202*
execute "shutdown scene"
activate zone 8 keypad trouble piezo

When collection point reaches 75%
lift product collection float sensor
wait 3 seconds
move collection conveyor 1 unit
lower product collection float sensor

when column temp is =>150*
if product collection has not advanced 1 unit in >20 minutes
execute scene "20 minute cuts"
loop:
wait 20minutes
lift product collection float sensor
wait 3 seconds
move collection conveyor 1 unit
lower product collection float sensor

AND FINALLY THE DISCLAIMER: THESE MODS ARE SUGGESTED AS FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR ANYONE INTO PROCESS CONTROL, MOTORIZATION AND AUTOMATION. TEMPERATURES AND TIMES ARE ONLY EXAMPLES ONLY AND HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED IN ANY WAY. SENSORS MAY AUGMENT YOUR SAFETY PROTOCOL AND MOTORIZATION FUN TO WATCH...HOWEVER... NEVER LEAVE YOUR STILL UNATTENDED WHEN IN OPERATION! INJURY, LOSS OF LIFE OR PROPERTY IS A VERY REAL POSSIBILITY.

now i drink for evil.
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Thanks, HDNB. If I were starting an automation project, this would be something to consider. (My controller is almost finished, though.)

But now you have raised a line of investigation: what else is out there that can be exploited, instead of building from scratch?

M