Tell us about your mistakes.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Tell us about your mistakes.

Post by rad14701 »

Bigbob wrote:Welcome rad14701, please read the post spoon feeding, it sounds like you need to do more reserch....... Sorry, couldn't let that go!!! :wave:
Good one but actually I should concentrate my efforts on reading the size of the bags... :shifty:

Truth be told, it probably had more to do with being out of my normal wash prep environment... Clearing out my fathers hoard has proven more time consuming than originally expected...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Sounds like a pleasant surprise to me :ebiggrin: Coulda worked out the other way, but you ended up with a 2fer :thumbup: Oh darn, twice as much hooch as I was shootin for, Seems the hooch Gods were lookin out fer ya. 8)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bigbob wrote:Welcome rad14701, please read the post spoon feeding, it sounds like you need to do more reserch....... Sorry, couldn't let that go!!! :wave:
Bigbob, you should be ashamed, pulling a Rad on Rad. :lol:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I malted 50# of corn and put it out to dry. I gave it 2 days with a fan on it and it felt and seemed quite dry. But when I ran it through my Corona, it started binding up. Of course I just kept at it thinking the second pass would be easier, but that was even worse. I couldn't even run it through a second time, so it wasn't even all cracked. So then I tried to run it all through the blender. Hell of a mess, and I think I almost burned up the blender. Ended up with crappy conversion, weak OG. Note to self, when it seems dry, let it dry just a little more. 6 days of tender loving malting, and then screw it up with not letting it dry out enough. :thumbdown:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Okay, so my wife gets home last night and asks "why does the house smell like puke?" I had been running the spirit run on a batch of DWWG. The ferment did have a bit of a funky smell about half way through, but seemed to settle out. The stripping runs didn't smell up the house, that I recall. Somehow this particular smell is one that you go "nose blind" to after about 15 minutes. I've got my jars all lined up with coffee-filter covers waiting to sort the cuts today.... I'm a bit anxious about what I'll find (smell) when I get home this afternoon. Yikes! Definitely not keeping SWMBO happy with this one.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Sounds like to me you caught a infection during fermentation and didn't notice.Did your airlock just go plum crazy
at any point?
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Actually it was working pretty good. Is that a sign of infection?
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

If your temps dont really change and your getting consistent blurps out of it and then she goes off like a rocket a real spike in activity.Yes can be,
did it get real foamy.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

I don't recall if it was more foamy that I would have expected. It was quite a while ago that I racked it and did the stripping runs. I'll certainly keep an eye out for next time. For now, my new goal in life is to properly sanitize my fermenters.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Today I learned that if you pass crimped oats through a corona mill at the same setting as ground corn, you'll get a big fluffy mess of husks that's triple the volume of what you originally put in :shock:

I was able to get great conversion, but it's one hell of a cap in the fermenter!
underthamoon
Novice

Post by underthamoon »

The worst mistake I've made is I tried to ferment in glass carboy on my first try
before I could put yeast in my help picked it up to move it slipped from hands an shattered on floor. What I've learned is ya I would have been cool to watch the ferment go on but not worth all the hard work to lose it. I'm a bucket man now!!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

underthamoon wrote:The worst mistake I've made is I tried to ferment in glass carboy on my first try
before I could put yeast in my help picked it up to move it slipped from hands an shattered on floor. What I've learned is ya I would have been cool to watch the ferment go on but not worth all the hard work to lose it. I'm a bucket man now!!
I have 8 carboys at the moment, I used to have 9... :econfused:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

for the thousandth bloody time, forgetting to close the tap on fermenter while filling it :x
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

A friend of mine has a mash fermenting on the grain in a carboy.
I want to be there when he tries to empty it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

googe wrote:for the thousandth bloody time, forgetting to close the tap on fermenter while filling it :x
haha, ive done that a few times myself. Its a bitch when you have hot beer wort flyin out and splashin all over your pants.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Ouch on the carboys. I had a nice big 6-1/2 gallon one that I was letting a friend use to learn to make beer. He was rinsing it out after a bottling session, and I saw him rolling it around on his concrete driveway just before I could shout. Watched it break in that very instant. Fortunately nobody hurt, but who would do that?? Did I really need to give the instruction to not roll it around on cement??

My latest is siphoning out of fermenter into carboys. Twice I have gotten distracted, for just a moment, and come back to find that gravity never takes a break. :oops: :(
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Jimbo wrote:
googe wrote:for the thousandth bloody time, forgetting to close the tap on fermenter while filling it :x
haha, ive done that a few times myself. Its a bitch when you have hot beer wort flyin out and splashin all over your pants.
You wear pants? :shock: :lol:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

googe wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
You wear pants? :shock: :lol:
They don't wear kilts in Iceland. That would be a bit...nippy. :esurprised:

tp
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

No pants and glass carboys... now that's courage.

I wanted to make a batch of neutral for some gin. Super easy, Wineo's recipe, no problem. Put it in a couple 7 gal fermenters, airlocks started, let it work for 2 weeks (in a 70degF garage), didn't check anything, got 1 qt hearts and a bunch of sweet dunder. Dumbass.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

OK I am extremely depressed about this one. :cry: Last fall I picked and pressed approximately 700 pounds of apples which yielded me about 35 gallons of juice. At Christmas I did one 12 gal run and wasn't really happy with the results but 2 days ago I did another 10 gallon run which I added the results of the first run back to making it a 1.5 run minus the bottle I got mixed up into a neutral run. I was actually quite pleased with the results of this run and as has become my custom I placed the jars on the clothes dryer for 2 days to let my poor mans ultrasonic do it's thing. Tonight I proceeded to blend and 4 of the pint jars tasted strange. :shock: It took me a minute to figure out what had happened and now I an very embarrassed to tell you guys. :oops: When I originally set the box of jars on the dryer I covered them with with paper towels to keep any bugs away while they aired, then since my wife was doing laundry I thought it would be a good idea to weigh the paper towels down to keep them from getting blown off. So not thinking I just grabbed something handy to set on top of them. That was a bad idea since what was handy was a box of dryer sheets. By now you probably guessed that every jar that box touched now tastes like dryer sheet. Fortunately I had placed then towards the tails end so I only lost 2 bottles but those two bottles were a lot of work and now all that work has gone down the drain. :roll: I had a similar thing happen one day when I pressed some apples last Nov. I made the mistake of washing my pressing bags and I shouldn't be allowed to use the washer. Apparently I used too much soap and contaminated a gallon of the best juice of the year. So anyway, be careful what you put in close vicinity to your distillate as it may absorb some very unpleasant things.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Left the lid off the smoke camber in my smoker and the chips caught fire and fire roasted my wheat malt that was smoking for a beech wood smoked wheated corn malt bourbon. Now I'm three weeks behind schedule. F√¢K. Prolly gotta build a new smoker.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Arrr, that's awful, Jed, you must rebuild!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Anyone ever forgot to empty the backset out of their boiler and dumped their fresh new wash in, only to realize their mistake when all your hard work comes spraying out of every orifice up topside of your boiler and youre only on gallon 8 in a 15.5g boiler?

Ugh. :crazy:
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

How about an Oat & Wheat mash... Damn thing will not stop growing. Already pulled 1 gallon out and it is still growing to over flow again. It's like the blob. What the heck did I get myself into? :shock:

Looks like I am going to split up the works into two fermenters and add more water. See if that helps.

Happy I caught it - otherwise I'd be cleaning oats off of the walls and floors.
kamilavalamp
Bootlegger

Post by kamilavalamp »

Thought I was going to run a 25 gallon still with an 8in condenser and a 1500w hotplate. Probably would have took half a month to get to boiling let alone finish a run. Thanks everyone here for your advice on that one. Now I stick with "propane and propane accessories".
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

Doing some stripping runs yesterday evening. Dump boiler, fill boiler, attach column, fire the element, wash some collection cups & buckets during heat up, run & repeat.

Until the 4th strip run, where I dumped the boiler, attached the column, fired the element, started washing & realized my buckets weren't empty. Found it doesn't take long for a dry fired element to go into meltdown.

Off to the hardware store this morning...
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I made an all-wheat mash last night using 12lbs cracked red wheat in my 5 gallon igloo cooler. I started with 125deg water for an hour then raised it to 150 for another hour. I drained the liquid into a pot, heated to 190, poured back into the mash tun and added my 1st enzyme, and let set overnight. This morning I brought the mash to 149, adjusted the Ph, and added 2nd enzyme. Unfortunately, my iodine test indicates start still present. Don't know what to do now. Damn.
Those who stay...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Malt or grain Due? What's the gravity?
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

The overnight should be done after the 2nd enzyme, not the first.
Due51
Swill Maker

Tell us about your mistakes.

Post by Due51 »

Jimbo wrote:Malt or grain Due? What's the gravity?
unmalted grain, Jimbo
I haven't taken a gravity reading yet.
Last edited by Due51 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who stay...