Poisoned low wines?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Scott82
Novice

Poisoned low wines?

Post by Scott82 »

Hello guys, I'm a little bit concerned because yesterday, after cutting a small piece of the same stainless steel tube that I used to build my still, I discovered that internally it is not clean, but there is a thin blue/black layer, that could only be removed using sandpaper (in the attached photo I used the sandpaper to show the difference between this colour and the original metal)

I have to tell you that these tubes (316 stainless steel) were used and I bought them for a few money and cleaned with caustic soda.
Today I have asked again the seller which was the previous use of the tubes and he told me that they were parts of a big boiler, so there was hot water inside... in his opinion there is no safety issue because it was only water but now I have understood that the blue and black layers are probably oxides of the heating circuit... and I think that it is a very bad thing! :|

at the moment, my chiller is made with a new copper coil, i have only a meter of this bad tube that connect the end of the coil to the demijohn in which I collect the spirit. All the rest is made with new and safe materials.

What do you think about it? :(
I know that the most sure and easy reply you can give me is to throw away everything I distilled but, as homedistillers like you are, please consider that I made 10 stripping runs of Grappa and now I have about 100 liters of low wines... and also 2 spirit runs but for sure I don't want to drink that spirits, so the question is:

if I redistill EVERTHING, can I be safe? (I have already changed the bad tube with a new copper tube)

Thank you!!!
Attachments
20141209_014354.jpg
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Poisoned low wines?

Post by goose eye »

When in dout
throw it out
Kick the barrel over an be done with it

So I'm tole
Scott82
Novice

Post by Scott82 »

but distilling again will not leave behind any metal?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Scrap it... Stop trying to get someone to justify salvaging those tainted spirits... Get used to having to toss some every once in a while... You'll make more... It's like paying your dues... Let alone the concept of being a safety issue... The "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger!" mantra just doesn't fly in this hobby...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

I aint sure what you askin.
You tryin to save that charge? Why?
The learnin curve can kill you dead you aint careful

So I'm tole
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Who cares about throwing out a pie when you own an oven? Bake more.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Keep it, but don't drink it. It'll light a lot of charcoal and will serve well as future sac runs.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

If you keep it for somethin else put food colorin in it an get it out of a likker jug

So I'm tole
Scott82
Novice

Post by Scott82 »

I'm not trying to justify myself or persuade anyone to keep this spirit, I'm here to ask your opinion and I appreciate your comments, thank you.

But, for these case and anything else in the future, I think it could be very useful to understand if metals can be left behind in a distillation process, like it happens with salts, so I was asking if anyone has information and knows it, but I understand that it is not a simple question (maybe there are differences between metals)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well Scott as this piece of tube was actually after your condenser in your case that doesn't come into it, your stuff most certainly has been exposed to some contamination, as far as metals getting from the boiler to the finished product I would have thought not but have been told it can but I wouldn't know the science behind how that could be achieved
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin