Keg Choice

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

bburton
Novice

Keg Choice

Post by bburton »

So I've built everything, and about to fire it up with propane for the first time for the cleaning runs.

But before I do, I read the safety posts again and read about certain kegs blowing up. My keg is below. There is a double wall around the bung, but a hole is drilled in the outside wall on that one. Any other double wall stuff on this keg? (I know, a stupid time to consider this. Should have done this up front at keg selection time!!).

Here are the pics. Any experience with this keg? ........
Attachments
3.gif
2.gif
1.gif
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: Keg Choice

Post by MitchyBourbon »

How did the kegs you read about blow up?
I'm goin the distance...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

The keg is fine. Just avoid designs that could lead to pressure buildup. No boiler should ever have pressure build up.

How do you plan on plugging that hole in the side?

That column design while safe, it is very outdated and generally not recommended. You might want to look at the modifications other people have done here with that type of still to improve its performance, if you have any issues with it.
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

Double wall basically. Read this ...... http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm worried there maybe a double wall in mine that I have not identified, around the center fat portion. I'm about to drill some holes.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

One hole will suffice, if it is indeed double walled.

Did you look at the pics in your link? That's a totally different type of keg that what you got...

Edit: It didn't blow up because of a double wall design, which it's not. The rolled edge on the bottom skirt was not tapped with a hole. Every keg Ive seen has two factory made holes in the skirt, presumably to keep that from happening. You keg does not have skirts.
Last edited by bearriver on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

bearriver wrote:The keg is fine. Just avoid designs that could lead to pressure buildup. No boiler should ever have pressure build up.

How do you plan on plugging that hole in the side?

That column design while safe, it is very outdated and generally not recommended. You might want to look at the modifications other people have done here with that type of still to improve its performance, if you have any issues with it.
I've got a plug made up that bolts to the side.

Yes I have read about this still design and its effectiveness. This is the second one I have built, the other was for Methanol Recovery in a BioDiesel process. Worked great. Interesting to see how this one works.

So the Keg is OK?
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

That's one i never heard before, yikes. I'm sure I don't have to tell you not to drill through both walls.
Last edited by MitchyBourbon on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm goin the distance...
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

bearriver wrote:One hole will suffice, if it is indeed double walled.

Did you look at the pics in your link? That's a totally different type of keg that what you got...

Edit: It didn't blow up because of a double wall design, which it's not. The rolled edge on the bottom skirt was not tapped with a hole. Every keg Ive seen has two factory made holes in the skirt, presumably to keep that from happening. You keg does not have skirts.

Yes, I know it's different. But mine also has a double wall that I identified. Just worried that there are other sections I missed and should also be drilled.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I've read some posts about certain kegs having the problem you're talking about, but I'll leave it to you to do the research. I think it had something to do with the ones that have skirts(?) on the top and bottom. The skirts/handles have a sealed air pocket that can explode if heated with a gas burner or torch. You would simply need to drill a small hole to create a vent. Your keg is somewhat rare. If I were you, I would do some further research to make sure it's OK.

Posted while a bunch of other people posted.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

The problem you are worried about was with some kegs (tradionial sanke keg) having the rolled lip at the base welded and sealed. When heated with gas flame the pressure buildup inside would cause a rupture in the base ring.
Your keg is not that style and if you drill into it all you will end up with is a hole in your keg.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

Windy City wrote:The problem you are worried about was with some kegs (tradionial sanke keg) having the rolled lip at the base welded and sealed. When heated with gas flame the pressure buildup inside would cause a rupture in the base ring.
Your keg is not that style and if you drill into it all you will end up with is a hole in your keg.
The area around the bung is double walled and I've drilled one hole and it didn't go thru the other side in this section. My question is, with this keg type are there other double walled sections that would cause the similar skirt problem.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Another thing - I don't think the fat section of your keg is a double wall. It's just made that way to make it easier to roll on a flat surface. I have a Coors keg that's fat in the middle like yours - no double wall.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I would seriously consider making a call to the manufacturer to see if they will identify all the sections that might be sealed off. Maybe a post about this in the safety forum too.
I'm goin the distance...
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Another thing - I don't think the fat section of your keg is a double wall. It's just made that way to make it easier to roll on a flat surface. I have a Coors keg that's fat in the middle like yours - no double wall.
Thanks! I don't think so either, but am unsure. I may drill a hole to test and plug it??!!
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

it's a Jacob Ruppert keg, made in New York, with a Firestone stainless bung welded in. 1950's I think.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I know I've seen that type keg here before. Maybe someone else will come along with some more definitive answers. That is, hold off on drilling any holes until this thread has run its course. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about, but won't advise you to use it because well... I'm just that paranoid and would never forgive myself if I told you it was OK and you did blow yourself up. Don't want to be attending a virtual wake.
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

Lol ... yes. Funny how paranoid you get the closer you get to lighting a flame.
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

Update: I just drilled holes in the keg to check. The only part that appears to be double walled is the bung piece that was welded in the side, with Firestone markings and patent numbers 2-354-425, 2-381-385 and 2-381-386.

All seems to be OK.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

pretty sure it is only double walled around the plug which can only be a problem if you heat it empty but if you have doubts drill a 1/8 hole in that outer plate :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The only parts of a double wall on a keg that can blow up are those that receive direct heat from a gas burner... Therefore, no part of the keg other than a rolled and welded bottom ring should be of concern... So, in your case, stop worrying about things blowing up...
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

rad14701 wrote:The only parts of a double wall on a keg that can blow up are those that receive direct heat from a gas burner... Therefore, no part of the keg other than a rolled and welded bottom ring should be of concern... So, in your case, stop worrying about things blowing up...

Thanks! Did a steam run. Water/Vinegar run. Sac Run. No problems. (Thanks everybody - incredible forum. Doing lots of reading)

I just did a Potato mash run. 18 L. It's amazing the taste difference between the different 300ml/10oz cuts. 11 cuts in total. Cuts 5, 6 and 7 are my favorites. They remind me most of the Luksusowa I so dearly love. My Still requires a lot of adjustments however. Maybe modify the design, but much later.

Freaking incredible hobby!! Glad I found it.

Making another mash right now, with a local starchier potato.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

bburton wrote:
rad14701 wrote: Luksusowa
Drank a few bottles of that. Could get it on base for 9$ with no taxes. I remember it being pretty harsh for a vodka. Bout what I would expect for that price range.

You can, and will likely do ALOT better.
bburton
Novice

Post by bburton »

I think you are right.