brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

Post by WooTeck »

i read this articale the other day and parts of it made me make this face :shock:. i thought that id bring it here for people to weigh in on.
should be entertaining if nothing else. :)

http://byo.com/issues/item/263-brew-a-g ... holic-beer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Re: brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

Post by carbohydratesn »

The basic idea is to brew a batch of you favorite beer, heat it after fermentation to drive off the alcohol, then pitch fresh yeast and prime for bottling.
Oh god, why would you
...start the cooling process...The easiest way is to place the brew kettle in ice water and wait a couple of hours.
"easiest"
...Tagged under Low Alcohol Brewing
No, byo.com, this is not low alcohol brewing. It's regular brewing, and then ruining that and turning it into unsweetened bitter cooked-beer soda.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

carbohydratesn wrote:
The basic idea is to brew a batch of you favorite beer, heat it after fermentation to drive off the alcohol, then pitch fresh yeast and prime for bottling.
Oh god, why would you
...start the cooling process...The easiest way is to place the brew kettle in ice water and wait a couple of hours.
"easiest"
...Tagged under Low Alcohol Brewing
No, byo.com, this is not low alcohol brewing. It's regular brewing, and then ruining that and turning it into unsweetened bitter cooked-beer soda.
my issue is less with the out come and more with the methods that they suggest. my thought behind it is those that know distilling know that alcohol is extremely flammable.
*edit ALL SHOULD KNOW THIS.
"
BYO.com -Brew A Great Non-Alcoholic Beer wrote:Just a large pot (like your brew kettle) and a way to heat it (like your oven).
the danger of driving off alcohol in to a confined space is bad enough. add in the chance of a gas oven(fairly conman in the uk) that there is an explosion waiting to happen.

im partial to a full flavored yet low alcohol beer rarely seen in the commercial world.

was kinda hoping for rad to get his teeth in to this one as im sure he would have a lot to say :shifty:
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Heh, I wrote something down about the whole oven thing at first...but that's too easy. I was left wondering more about what planet the the author comes from where pulling an enormous brew kettle full of near-boiling liquid out of your oven...and then carrying that kettle of near-boiling beer, presumably at least a few feet...and then lowering it into a bath of ice water...is the *easiest* way to cool the pot down.

Anybody can almost start a fire - it takes a special something to decide that that kind of unnecessary and dangerous procedure is the easiest way to do something.

(for anyone reading along at home, *waiting* is in fact the easiest way to cool the kettle down, and you're much less likely to injure yourself that way too)
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

The author of this article claims that virtually all of the alcohol will be driven off by holding the open pot of fermented beer at approximately 180 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.

We need to find this person, and force him to tell us everything he knows about how this happens because we've been doing it all wrong! All those countless wasted hours minding my pot still as the boiling point of the charge creeps up and up towards 212... and to imagine I could have squeezed it all out in 20 minutes! At only 180 degrees! This is truly revolutionary.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
borntofli
Novice

Post by borntofli »

Why would you want to take the alcohol out of beer....????? Thats like driving a car without an engine.......

just sayin......
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

borntofli wrote:Why would you want to take the alcohol out of beer....????? Thats like driving a car without an engine.......

just sayin......
so you can drink for flavour not to get pissed
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

WooTeck wrote:
borntofli wrote:Why would you want to take the alcohol out of beer....????? Thats like driving a car without an engine.......

just sayin......
like all the fun of not having sex, while not having sex.

wait... thats marriage. :shock:

this is where the safety pays off. we capture and condense that alcohol vapour, to prevent tradgedy while making our low alcohol beer. the only problem is getting rid of all that unwanted alcohol. This will take a lot of practice, i have not really enjoyed any of my de-alcoholized beer yet... :sarcasm:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

HDNB wrote:
WooTeck wrote:

just sayin......
like all the fun of not having sex, while not having sex.

wait... thats marriage. :shock:

this is where the safety pays off. we capture and condense that alcohol vapour, to prevent tradgedy while making our low alcohol beer. the only problem is getting rid of all that unwanted alcohol. This will take a lot of practice, i have not really enjoyed any of my de-alcoholized beer yet... :sarcasm:
i am planing to make a beer base ferment strip it hop it. then you have a alcohol free beer for drinking and a whiskey to get drunk then you can mix em both together to make a beer to get drunk :lol:
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

having an alcohol free beer is kinda like buying a hug from a crack whore. you can do it... but why?
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Massassi wrote:having an alcohol free beer is kinda like buying a hug from a crack whore. you can do it... but why?
i like the taste of beer.
getting drunk can be a rather problematic side if you drink beer all day every day. good tasting alcohol free beer (must taste like real beer) gets rid of the problem and you can drink whenever you want. think breakfast beer/2am when back from the pub.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You could try getting the flavors from the grain by steeping without converting. The spent grain could then be converted and fermented for neutral if you didn't want to waste the starch.
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

i think a reasonable way to do this would be to make wort and pitch yeast. after your ferment is finished, still it. Then allow it to cool enough to remove your column. add water to replace your lost steam, bring it back to a boil, and add the desired hops.

you'd have to play with your recipie though because the extra cooking time is bound to break down some of the flavours. but at least you wouldn't have the skunkiness that you do with comercial near-beer.

best results would be had if you have a carbonation system at home and can prep this without having to bottle condition
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Definitely would need a co2 setup. I think its possible but alot of extra work.. and not sure will have the same taste..... I would at times like to have a beer but no alcohol (have to drive or something) but never thought about making it.

B
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

have taps and co2 ive been working on low abv beers with some sucsess. 2/3abv im still struggling with the mouth feel part. cant quite get it right.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Maybe it needs some artificial heat. Grains of Paradise used to be used to emulate higher abv in counterfeit likker.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah ultra light beer kinda tastes ultra light, even all the commercial stuff. I remember my old man trying to get himself use to it (fail) He reckoned it was sex in a canoe
fucking close to water
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

thecroweater wrote:Yeah ultra light beer kinda tastes ultra light, even all the commercial stuff. I remember my old man trying to get himself use to it (fail) He reckoned it was sex in a canoe
fucking close to water
brew dog have done ok with nanny state.
BrewDog/Nanny-State wrote: ABV: 0.5%
IBU: 45
Style: Pale Ale
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

I don't think an amazing-non-alcoholic-beer exists.... I believe it would be a great flavored water. :moresarcasm:
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:I don't think an amazing-non-alcoholic-beer exists.... I believe it would be a great flavored water. :moresarcasm:
:lol: i can live with great flavourd water.