Crown Bottle Caps

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Crown Bottle Caps

Post by Desvio »

Figured this might be a good place to post this.

I have searched the forum (and beyond) far and wide on the use of crown style bottle caps and possibly bail style bottles, like me, many of us have mountains of bottles and containers. Many of which are beer and wine bottles that can be sealed with bottle caps, but that's where the question comes if this is safe? I read the plastic material is Plastisol, a mixture of PVC in suspended in liquid plasticizer. Is there any known information on how this little cap of plastic goo holds up under the extremes of higher alcohol concentrations?
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Crown Bottle Caps

Post by dstaines »

The recommended practice is to prevent any plastic or synthetic materials from coming in contact with your liquor, whether vaporized in the still or condensed in containers. The glass beer bottles are obviously fine, but you would want to keep the plastic away from it. I like to put mine in glass wine bottles and cap them with the "T-top" tasting corks (they have a plastic grip on the top but only natural cork is in contact with the liquid inside)
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Crown Bottle Caps

Post by Desvio »

Yeah, I have reviewed the various assortments of corks and stoppers. The T-top tasting corks are a great idea, and seem to be at a reasonable cost.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.