Bleach

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Bleach

Post by corene1 »

This is just a coincidence but a large commercial laundry needed some work done on one of their wash drums today. The guy said it was about 15 years old and they run 24/7 in a chlorine environment while washing work clothes and related towels. It doesn't show any signs of corrosion. Don't know if this helps or not just thought I would throw it out there.
stainless drum.jpg
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

corene1 wrote: Don't know if this helps or not just thought I would throw it out there.
stainless drum.jpg
Indeed it is helpful, and a coincidence... I was loading my washing machine just today, which is something my wife usually does for me. That is when I noticed the stainless steel perforated drum on the inside and saw it had a flawless finish, despite having run bleach through it for years... Hrmm... Grandpa would say the proof is in the pudding. :think:

Edit: Here is a typical residential washing machine manual for a washer with a stainless drum. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OAhH ... rp=1&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow On page 17 it says not to use bleach. :crazy:
a-donovan
Novice

Post by a-donovan »

Just a note on rust with SS. Any stainless will rust (oxidize) if it comes in contact with regular steel. If your seeing rust around a recent weldment chances are that the area was prepped with something having had contact with regular steel ie. Grinding wheel or steel brush
discoreaper
Novice

Post by discoreaper »

Part of my job is water treatment.

We super chlorinate the water @ 10ppm and leave it in a 100,00 gal tank, the tank is 316 stainless, and has been used for this purpose since 2001, the water is used from the tank on-demand, which is aprox 60 cubic meters of water per hour (during production ), and is ran through a carbon filter ( a really big one ) to oxidize the chlorine for the next part of the processes.

Point being this tank has water containing chlorine at 10ppm in it constantly, and there is no signs of damage to the SS tank.

On another note.....all the structural steel in the building had to be trated for corrosion after about 6 months of operation in the beginning, as the fumes were corroding the mild steel even though it has the fire retardant paint on it :esurprised:
Say nothing......until you hear more!