Libman scrubber problem

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

One Sock
Bootlegger

Libman scrubber problem

Post by One Sock »

Normally I use a couple of Choreboy scrubbies in my column but the market I was shopping at the other day only had Libman. Bag sez 100% copper like the Choreboys, so I grab a two-pack. I pack my column and do my AG stripping run and when I'm done and do my clean up I see a silvery drop on the column plate that was directly under the scrubbies. The silver wipes off, but of course I'm concerned and remove and examine the scrubbies! The top one is still coppery but turns grey at the bottom, the scrubbie under it is completely grey. I examine them and see dull grey staples and black twist ties holding the damn things together! :esurprised: I get the sinking feeling I'm gonna have to dump this run, but will wait for your advice... :tired:
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Libman scrubber problem

Post by BentJar »

That happened to my twice, so now I order my copper mesh from brewhaus and I have confidence in what goes up the pipe.
I don't cost that much and lasts forever. Its gets a good cleaning just like the still head when needed.
Order 2 rolls and forget the problem.
Like most problems, you throw money at it and it goes away.
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I never had a problem with Libman brand copper scrubbers, but then again I don't use them anymore... :think:

How did you prepare them? I boiled them 3 times, then put them through a standard series of cleaning runs.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

BentJar wrote:That happened to my twice, so now I order my copper mesh from brewhaus and I have confidence in what goes up the pipe.
I don't cost that much and lasts forever. Its gets a good cleaning just like the still head when needed.
Order 2 rolls and forget the problem.
Like most problems, you throw money at it and it goes away.
+1. Scrubbies are undependable. Brewhaus has mesh, Amphora has good heavy mesh, personally if I were to go back to copper mesh I would use welding cable per Bushman's tutorial. In my opinion there are better choices out there than mesh for packing though.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

I just use the scrubbies to put copper in the vapor path of my stainless rig, if I use reflux I pack the column with marbles. The Choreboys have never caused me a problem, and I have used mesh from Brewhaus but it's a mess cutting it. A vinegar soak, wash with PBW and a thorough hot water rinse has always been sufficient. Scrubbies are meant for cleaning food implements, so they can't possibly contain lead, can they?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

One Sock wrote:I just use the scrubbies to put copper in the vapor path of my stainless rig, if I use reflux I pack the column with marbles. The Choreboys have never caused me a problem, and I have used mesh from Brewhaus but it's a mess cutting it. A vinegar soak, wash with PBW and a thorough hot water rinse has always been sufficient. Scrubbies are meant for cleaning food implements, so they can't possibly contain lead, can they?
No, not lead but cheap steel, zinc, cadmium and other unknown possibilities that aren't bad to wash your dishes with but not for our purposes. I see the point of convenience to what you are doing now though. Just pop a scrubbie in on your marbles and roll is easy. Stick with Choreboy or get the mesh. Heck, it cuts with scissors.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

Yup, Choreboys or mesh, use the Libbies for cleanup! Hmmm, zinc is supposed to be good for colds, mebe I'll save this run for cold and flu season! :moresarcasm:
Ga Miner
Novice

Post by Ga Miner »

The libman scrubs I have bought either had a small plastic or metal ring holding together in middle.
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

Ga Miner wrote:The libman scrubs I have bought either had a small plastic or metal ring holding together in middle.
None of which we want leeching into our product! :shock:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ga Miner wrote:The libman scrubs I have bought either had a small plastic or metal ring holding together in middle.
Those are definitely NOT the right type of scrubbers... They should simply say 100% Copper or 100% Stainless Steel... And even then they may not be if they are cheap knock offs from China...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

rad14701 wrote:
Those are definitely NOT the right type of scrubbers... They should simply say 100% Copper or 100% Stainless Steel... And even then they may not be if they are cheap knock offs from China...
Libman scrubbers are from Mexico, and he is right about the clip holding them together. I'd err on the side of caution and advise against using that particular brand.

Personally I think copper mesh is only ideal as a small additive to a still with no copper. Unlike copper, stainless mesh won't corrode or add any off flavors. I had a bad problem with copper mesh getting too corroded between cleaning, which started adding an off taste to my spirits. Since then I switched to stainless and have been one happy camper. :thumbup:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I use SS scrubbers, marbles, and SPP, depending on what configuration I'm running... Never bothered trying copper scrubbers because they break down quicker than anything else...
Ga Miner
Novice

Post by Ga Miner »

I never used mine. I ended up ordering a roll of mesh. I was just informing what I found.