Worm making noise

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hex
Novice

Worm making noise

Post by Hex »

I have a very basic setup with a 5 gallon stainless steel pot that has the copper coil soldered into the lid. I use clamps to keep the lid tight and always seal leaks with flower paste. The lid is fairly thin and tends to flex up and down once in a while which im assuming is normal since there is alot of pressure being forced upwards to the coil. (If this is not normal someone please inform me.) but i was just doing a cleaning run with vinegar so i had the heat on full blast, and right before i turned it off my worm started to make a clicking noise. Almost as if someone was flicking the side of the bucket with their finger. I looked in and the water was steamy hot but there was no movement from the worm. Just noise. Im just about to do a run so id like to make sure its safe to run.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Re: Worm making noise

Post by Monkeyman88 »

There should be no pressure at all. But being that you were doing a vinegar run, it will act a lot different to an alc run. As long as there were no leaks o wouldn't worry about it. See if it happens still on the sac run, it may have just been something to do with the mass amount of heat you were throwing at it for the vinegar.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Pressure..?? You are kidding us , right..??
You better start and read the spoonfeedthread in my signature, cause you missed some very substantional information..
Please STOP immidiatly what you are doing, until your design is proven safe.
What diameter is that coil...?
I suppose you were only testing your equipment with water and vinegar..?
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Your still sounds Very similar to mine. However I run a Liebig condenser instead of a worm.
My lid definitely moves up and down especially when I change the heat settings OR change the water flow through the liebig. I have always thought of this as the vapor collapsing in the liebig and the lid drops a little. My lid is pretty thin. As long as you have clamps to hold the lid down and do try to mitigate the flexing you should be fine. I do not know what could be causing the clicking. Is it possible that the coil is actually moving vertically and tapping the bottom of the pail? Vertical movement might be harder to see.
I typically get some of this lid flexing on spirit runs when I am transitioning between heads and hearts. It also occurs heading into heavy tails and I have to turn the heat up more to keep a consistent flow.

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

What size tubing did you use for your worm?
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Hex
Novice

Post by Hex »

jedneck wrote:What size tubing did you use for your worm?
3/8th tubing. (1/2" od). I decided to go through with the run and i do believe it was the high heat from my vingegar run causing the tube to flex vertically as another user suggester because im having no issues now.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Hex,
You have only been on the site for a day or two. I really encourage you to take some time and put a pot of coffeee on and read through Cranky's spoonfeeding thread. There is a lot there and it will take you a while. Do not read and drink (aka drunk reading) but take the time to understand and it will save you immeasurable amounts of time and materials down the road... As my friend GA Flatwoods says, "The hardest thing to add to a bottle of 'shine is patience" Do the reading my friend
I wish you SAFE and enjoyable time in your endeavors here!!

Carry ON
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here