Solder

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gawi
Novice

Solder

Post by Gawi »

Just a quick question about solder and flux. I have tried to find info on the stuff I have but haven't been able to. I have Oatey No.95 lead free tinning flux and Oatey silver lead free solder. Will this work an a copper still. I have been searching the forums and can't find info on this exact stuff.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Solder

Post by GrassHopper »

Gawi wrote:Just a quick question about solder and flux. I have tried to find info on the stuff I have but haven't been able to. I have Oatey No.95 lead free tinning flux and Oatey silver lead free solder. Will this work an a copper still. I have been searching the forums and can't find info on this exact stuff.
The only toxic thing to consider is the zinc chloride. Whether it is safe or not, I don't know. The chloride will vaporize so you will only have a bit of zinc left. That shouldn't be an issue in that small of a quantity. But I defer to those with better chemistry skills than I. Here is the MSDS specs:
http://www.oateylatinoamerica.com/wp-co ... G_FLUX.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The solder should be fine.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

if you had read the mandatory reading that halfbaked and bigbob pointed you to in your introduction you would know how to find an answer

with out posting the same question 4 times in 4 threads (your first 4 posts). put your solder in the search bar (30 threads),

in the hd google search (83threads). home distiller is like an encyclopedia or library, not a drive through info booth

lower left corner of halfbaked's post in your intro are the links.

if you have not bought the clawhammer yet DON'T until you discover why the smaller the still is, the harder it is to run.

good luck.
be water my friend
Gawi
Novice

Post by Gawi »

Sorry cob. I was just asking bonsai what his opinion of the clawhammer still was since he had owned one. Didn't think I had posted the same question 4 times but I will quit posting until my reading is done