Covering column ends when storing

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Covering column ends when storing

Post by Bushman »

I just removed my packing to clean it after viewing the following thread:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p7393543

When I run my still I rinse the column with cold water after each use. Today I removed the packing to see how black it had gotten and to give it a better cleaning. Since I have a 4" column and my dephlagmater drops in from the top sometimes during cleaning I don't always reassemble so it can air out. The bottom of my column has a screen welded on to prevent the mesh from possibly dropping into the boiler but the top is pretty much open. Today while pulling the copper mesh out I found droppings as if a mouse had stored seeds or something within the mesh. Why is this in Safety and Related issues you might ask? I was thinking if the mouse had some how gotten caught in the mesh and I reassembled the column to run it this might have created a blockage that would have resulted in an explosion. I consider myself very lucky and will take precautions in the future that nothing can enter my column when not in use!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Covering column ends when storing

Post by pfshine »

Mmmm. Rat gin.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

I use coffee filters on either ends of my column when not in use, wouldn't stop a mouse but you would know if something entered.
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

+1 I coffee filter and rubberband carboys, columns, all that good stuff
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I am glad you found out before a accident could happen Bushman...
My gear is stored inside the house, so nothing would creep in there.
If i was to store it in a barn or garage, i would definetly use the coffeefilter and rubberband trick.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Hi Bushman,
I usually keep my 4" flute still assembled, but I store my 3" pot still broken down because I don't use it very often anymore. I don't know if your rig uses tri-clamp fittings, but mine does, and I have a bunch of different sized tri-clamp blank plates which I put on the ends of my boilers and all my component piping sections for storage. I even have some of the little 3/4" blanks for the Liebig and Thumper head fittings as well. Never had any critters moved in, but the little bastards are always around. Anyways, that's my reason to cover all the ends on them. But then, maybe a batch of Wild Rat Rye might be worth a try...just kidding.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
wannab
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by wannab »

+ 1 on the tri clamp blanks, works the charm!
common sense is not so common
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good stuff Bushman :thumbup:
Don't know if you get them in USA bit in Aussie we get these things called "Mud Wasps".

They like to find little holes / pipes about 1/2" and build a little nest of mud and anethasised spiders in there ......dis-connectected gas burners......MAPP gas bottles ....Liebig condensers in/outs .
Thermo ports ...VL/lm vent pipes......any refux condenser ports....Bastards.

I've learn't to plug up every hole with a wad of twisted paper towel ..it also has an up side..it reminndes me what should go back in the hole :oops: o..Oh Hmm..thermometer goes in the hole that is venting vapour... :silent: ....so I'm not perfect either :oops:
Anything that helps us keep on track is good stuff. :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a cloth with elastic band that used to fit over a handled magnet that I put over my boiler when not assembled I plan to have my wife make two more for both ends of the column. I can reassemble but have always liked to let it air dry after cleaning. The vinegar solution did a nice job cleaning the fusel oils off the copper so will be adding the copper back to the column today.
erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

Coffe filters and some wire net (same as used for chicken pens) over that would stop mice and flies and other stuff from entering
since my shed is my attic, (sixth floor) I get no mice 8)
Practice makes perfect, spend less time sharpening your pencils and more time drawing