running in the garage

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: running in the garage

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote:
shadylane wrote: Is the propane tank far enough away the burning alcohol can't get too close it?
Truckinbutch wrote: Little mellodramatic , don't ya think ? Take a total house involvement to cook off a propane tank . Gallon of water in a coffee can , a cool head , and a charged water hose will stop most any hobby size still fire .
no disrespect Truckingutch but that rubber hose connecting the tank to the burner is a much weaker link than the tank itself.

some POL's have an excess flow cutoff and some don't. a breached hose could become a flaming whip. propane tank pressure is +- 240 psi.
Not trying to start a running fight . My tank hose id ss braid armed . Even if it wasn't ; if your safety protocalls are lax enough for that kind of conflagration to occur you deserve to burn down your house / shed for being lax . A properly tended hobby size still might have a flair that can be quickly extinguished . Movie stunt explosions are just that . Within the parameters I follow they are fantasy .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

TB is right. I had a fire from a major fail when the head popped off during a stripping run over a propane burner. Yes it was a shit your pants moment but nothing that the garden hose on hand and cool heads didn't get under control without any damage other than a wet garage a ruined run and pissed off evening.

If your garage is all drywalled you might have to think about ventilation. If it is just framed with an open ceiling like mine, the soffit provide plenty of ventilation. Using propane, you can get long hoses meant for construction heaters at Tractor Supply and many other places. This allows you to set your tank outside. Besides, a 100 lb tank is your best distilling friend :ebiggrin: ..... until you go electric.... then you forget that friends name and turn your head when you see him because you have an even better friend!
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

shadylane wrote: There's more than just ventilation to think about.
Is the garage attached to the house?
Can you throw a lot of high proof on the floor and light it with limited or no drama?
Is the propane tank far enough away the burning alcohol can't get too close it?