running in the garage

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

running in the garage

Post by BTR Kentucky »

Ok, here is the deal. I am wanting to run a 10 gallon copper pot still, on propane cooker, in my garage. My older timer friend runs in his big gagage. During the summer he leaves his big door open, but in the winter, its closed off with propane heaters running. I understand things can happen. I plan on having fire extinguisher on hand of course, no leaks or vapor escaping, windows open, but big door closed due to now wanting to teach the neighbor what i am doing. I got a place outside over on my other property i will use mainly, but i am thinking in high winds and rain i could just run in my garage. How bad of an idea is this. I am thinking if i cover things it should be fine. What do yall do?
"He is not a fool to give the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot loose"
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: running in the garage

Post by yakattack »

So long as you have enough ventilation and are always present you should be fine.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

My garage is 700 sf with 12 ceilings and I run in it but leave the walking door open to help pull the fumes. It will warm the garage on a long run, even on low. Stay with it and be safe!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I run 60k btu propane in my basement . I have a vent fan and my furnace fan running for ventilation . Co monitor sits right beside me at all times . It has never alerted in 3 years .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

Thank You
"He is not a fool to give the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot loose"
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

If you don't want "prying eyes watching you" drop two tarps, the first at the door with empty tin cans with a few stones in them to weigh the tarp down. The noise from the cans being moved will give you a heads up if "No-Z" the neighbor comes looking. Drop the second tarp about 4 foot from your "Set-up" so that if "No-Z" comes knocking his "prying eyes" will see nothing. Just have a good pre-made excuse for the obvious question that's coming...."What you doing?"....Like
"Oh, I was going to shag my Missus on the kids Jungle Gym, I just dragged it in from the backyard...do you think you could come back tomorrow?"
Getting hung up all day on smiles
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I run in my garage/shop. I just crack the doors open about 6 inches and it provides enough ventilation out the doors and 10' ceiling. Otherwise, the propane gets too concentrated at eye level to tolerate. I park my rv in front of the door so prying eyes can't view in.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

BTR Kentucky wrote:Ok, here is the deal. I am wanting to run a 10 gallon copper pot still, on propane cooker, in my garage...........What do yall do?
There's more than just ventilation to think about.
Is the garage attached to the house?
Can you throw a lot of high proof on the floor and light it with limited or no drama?
Is the propane tank far enough away the burning alcohol can't get too close it?
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

ga flatwoods wrote:My garage is 700 sf with 12 ceilings and I run in it but leave the walking door open to help pull the fumes. It will warm the garage on a long run, even on low. Stay with it and be safe!
Ga Flatwoods
+1, I do the same.
Apply a good dose of un-common sense to all possible dangers (ventilation, leaks, fire, etc...) and you will be fine :thumbup:
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Is the propane tank far enough away the burning alcohol can't get too close it?
shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor

Little mellodramatic , don't ya think ? Take a total house involvement to cook off a propane tank . Gallon of water in a coffee can , a cool head , and a charged water hose will stop most any hobby size still fire .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

understandable Truck, but all the same better to air on the side of caution? I do agree though you have to screw up badd tocset an up to date untamperd BBQ tank off. not to disdisrespect. I alwase value what you say.....does that sound like ass kissing?
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

Thanks.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I do most of my stilling in my garage too, but I run all-electric. I do like to have a cigar or two while I'm doing a run, so I crack the roll-up door up about 8" and block it up. Not so much for the alcohol vapors (and yes, I also do respect their potential to build up and cause problems,) but more so, to give my cigar smoke a place to go. I figure if I get a good flow of fresh air in, and my smoke can circulate and get out, so can any vapors which may otherwise accumulate as well. I don't think, at least in my little garage, that I would even attempt to still in it if I had to use open propane flames.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

ga flatwoods wrote:My garage is 700 sf with 12 ceilings...
Damn. All I have is one in mine. :sarcasm:

tp
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I also still in the garage with a 8.5kw propane burner. It's kind of large, around 40sq mt (the garage not the burner LOL) and I krack open one of the two doors a few cm. Enough for the air to circulate, not enough for the neighbors to look inside. The floor is concrete, no flammable objects close to the still. gas tank is 1.4mt away from the burner (it is not legal here to use a longer gas tube, and we don't do anything that is not legal :lol: :lol: :lol: )
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

I haven't thought much about using an electric burner. All I've ever seen used was propane burners. Electric sounds a lot safer indoors. How much for a good one for a 10 gallon and type?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Check out the boilers made from kegs and milk cans.
Their not as sexy as copper, but a ss keg is cheaper and much stronger.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

BTR Kentucky wrote:I haven't thought much about using an electric burner. All I've ever seen used was propane burners. Electric sounds a lot safer indoors. How much for a good one for a 10 gallon and type?
Not so much an electric burner, like a hot plate. It is an internal, (in the boiler,) 240 volt 5,500 watt electric heating element, just like the ones found in household electric hot water heaters. The power to it is controlled by hooking it up to an external controller which can be adjusted to regulate the current to the heating element. It's mounted inside the boiler so there's nothing outside that would potentially create a fire like an open flame propane burner could.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

How much would something like that cost me for a 10 gallon?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Less than 100 bucks all in. Element for under 40. Controller for 35 or less. Couple of cords. Micelanous fittings Ect.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

Ok, now that sounds like a good investment for when i am indoors. Outdoors I would use the propane, then indoors in the garage electric sounds nice. Is there any prints on how to make these or what exactly should i google?

This is off topic, but i thought of it since we are talking heat. My old buddy that shows me how to do things has made a big box, with a heater, temp gauge and all to put all his buckets when fermenting to keep them at a certain temp, plus be able to run on through the winter. I will be fermenting in 5 gallon buckets and with air locks. Where do you place your ferments during winter to keep it warm? Or any ideas on this? I am thinking i will have to build a box with a heat element, its the only thing i can think of.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

NZ Chris had a good idea, that was to convert an old fridge into a fermenting chest and heat it with a couple of 60 amp light bulbs. the ChiComs had good heat regulators on Ebay for only a few bucks (under $10) I got a couple and am pleased with them. Kiwi
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

That's a good idea. I love this site
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

BTR Kentucky wrote:Where do you place your ferments during winter to keep it warm? Or any ideas on this?
I am currently fermenting an AG Bourbon (20L batch) in my garage. It's chilly now there, between 10C and 14C. To keep the ferment warm I put the fermenting bucket inside a larger pot, and in the larger pot I put warm water, an acquarium heater (25W) and a small pump for water circulation. The whole bunch is wrapped in a blanket, only the airlock sticking out. It's two days into fermentation now, so far so good.

In order to help the small heater and counter the water evaporation I pour twice a day a little more hot water in the large pot.
SouthTexasShine
Novice

Post by SouthTexasShine »

I run in my detached garage and use a 4x8 work table laid on the side to block the lower half and pull the door half way down to block the upper half of the view. I leave the walkway door propped open and run a small fan to force air movement out of the building.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

8x12 shed . for ventilation I have soffet vent grills in three places at floor level in the walls, a fart van rt above the still , two windows that get cracked and a window ac unit that is ran on either fan or ac.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

yakattack wrote:Less than 100 bucks all in. Element for under 40. Controller for 35 or less. Couple of cords. Micelanous fittings Ect.
Wow - I wish mine had worked out to that. Just the round locking plugs for mine ran me $100. Then there was the wire (20 feet of #10 cable and another 50 feet of 10/2 w ground), the breaker, the element was cheap (around 18 bucks I think at lowes), the SSVR and part (another $40). I probably have $300 in my controller and wiring for the house.

But I'm WAY happier with no open flames. I know its still dangerous (boiling liquid in an enclosed vessel and all), leaks still happen, but I just never liked the idea of firing up a flame under the boiler.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I didn't have to do much wiring or breaker work. So that saved me huge.

One member here has a saying in their signature that I've found to be very true.

You can have fast cheap and right. But usually only 2 out of the 3 at a time. It took me a while to get mine setup. I waited for deals.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

shadylane wrote: Is the propane tank far enough away the burning alcohol can't get too close it?
Truckinbutch wrote: Little mellodramatic , don't ya think ? Take a total house involvement to cook off a propane tank . Gallon of water in a coffee can , a cool head , and a charged water hose will stop most any hobby size still fire .
no disrespect Truckingutch but that rubber hose connecting the tank to the burner is a much weaker link than the tank itself.

some POL's have an excess flow cutoff and some don't. a breached hose could become a flaming whip. propane tank pressure is +- 240 psi.
be water my friend
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

yakattack wrote:I didn't have to do much wiring or breaker work. So that saved me huge.
One member here has a saying in their signature that I've found to be very true.
You can have fast cheap and right. But usually only 2 out of the 3 at a time. It took me a while to get mine setup. I waited for deals.
Hahaha - we have a similar saying with hiking stuff: Your gear can be light, comfortable, cheap. Pick any two.
I had to install my own 30amp breaker and run a new line of 10/2. Of course I did it all myself, since I'm familiar with wiring basics, so that saved me time and questions like, "Why do you want a 30 amp plug there?" I did it all in about a week, so I had fast and right, but definitely not cheap. The cheapest part was the controller box itself, which oddly sounds like it would be the most expensive.