What about glass?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

spiff
Swill Maker

What about glass?

Post by spiff »

So I'm still researching if this is something I want to get into and if so, what type of setup I'll be going with.. but I'm curious why I'm not seeing any glass setups. It seems like building one could be a cinch using quality glass lab equipment.. and the connectors they use are phenomenal. (no gaskets.. just a perfect pressure proof glass seal)

I understand breakage and its not as conductive (could use metal pot).. but for the hobbyist, being able to observe literally everything would be pretty neat. Plus, all the parts exist in current labware inventory.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What about glass?

Post by Euphoria »

Well, if it broke on you, at the very least you'd have a big mess. In a worst case scenario, you could burn down your house, burn yourself and possibly anyone else who happened to be around, with all that high test alcohol running all over the place. Think of the alcohol you would be producing in the same way that you would treat gasoline, and its destructive potential if not handled properly, and you should understand why glass stills are generally frowned upon.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Hey now.. that actually makes sense!..Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Apart from the fire issue , glass condensers are not as efficient as copper ones and so would require a whole lot more water.
We use them where I work and yes they are a tight fit...too tight..they get stuck and brake when undoing so the guys generally smear a film of Silicone paste on the connetion faces so they can be disconnected with ease.
I doubt Silicone paste would get a good rap here either.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The problem with the bad heat conductivity of glass is not solvable with more water alone. You will need a way longer glass liebig than a copper one.
Yes, I did my first run with glass. :roll: :oops: My 40cm long glass liebig was not able to condense all the vapor coming from my little 5 liter cooking pot... Sorry, I don't remember what wattage.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here are two examples of glass stills, the first one is by mash rookie used in experimenting with different packing material. The next two are pictures of a commercial still in Maui. Remember mash rookie was a professional glass blower and knew his material and the other is a commercially made still.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=30
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

For the most part lab glass belongs in, well, labs where sober trained technicians follow stringent protocols... With the number of members here having hydrometers commit suicide on them I shudder at just the thought of them running glass stills...

The concept creeps up way too often and a simple site search should yield more than a few discussions...
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I use glass for beer, five gallon batches.

Check out some of the stitches in these pictures, to reinforce Rad's concerns
https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+ ... vVkmPrM%3A
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

well right of the bat i can think of five people i know well that have been severely injured and another fatally by glass windows so the graphic photos of injuries from broken carboys are a bit of a red herring here. sure there is an inherent risk using a glass column and not all glass is suitable. I'm about as likely to make and run a glass column as I am to take up base jumping but it is not so risky IMHO to warrant me telling others what to do unless they try something really stupid like a glass boiler. As with all things distilling use products less likely to fail that are suitable for their intended use and to the OP you didn't look real hard matey as there are plenty of glass and partial build here on these boards
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

rad14701 wrote:With the number of members here having hydrometers commit suicide on them
Mine did just that last week! :|
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

A lot of good points here.. thanks. Didn't know that about those fittings..good to know. I thought they seemed too good to be true.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This is why I moved the thread from novice to safety and related issues. A lot of concerns, and my earlier post was meant to point out that yes it has been done in the past but by professionals that hopefully understand the material they are working with and the circumstances.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Have you looked at the price of a 5 gallon boiling flask and heating mantle?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

No, I hadn't. I used to have sources for lab equipment,new and used, that I might still be able to tap into.. so was just curious. But yeah, the price of high boron glassware shot up I think once common companies like Pyrex stopped using it. If you buy something Pyrex today its just normal glass.

The safety issue makes sense. There is also the used factor, not entirely sure what things were ran through any used lab ware that might be available to me. That unknown variable is enough to make me avoid this route. I have done things with glass that makes that glassware permanently contaminated.