Ebay Still safety concerns.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

MajikMack
Novice

Ebay Still safety concerns.

Post by MajikMack »

So I got this still on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121580800715?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I have used it a couple times, but today I was running a water run and seen some concerns..

1. Temp gage hit 220 and about that time I saw steam coming from the lids rim... So I got more clips to seal the lid on better and ran it again. The steam problem at the lid stopped.

2. After sealing the lid better with more clips I started to run it again.. It was going good for a bit (though it was puking distilled water and not a steady flow or drip) and then I saw steam coming from my cooling bath.. I had not yet put Ice in it but figured its just water, It may not need ice... The water was hot to the touch but not yet 'boiling' just steamy...

3. Plastic bits... On the top of the column there is a plastic piece you put your thermometer through to get your column readings. There is also a gasket on the rim of the lid to help seal it in.. Is this anything to worry about?

4. The column just slides into place. There is no real seal or tightening device. Should this be a concern?

Any thoughts would be great..
Bushman
Admin

Re: Ebay Still safety concerns.

Post by Bushman »

Can you return the still?

Seriously, no plastic in the path of vapor or liquid, still is smaller than we would recommend. How do they suggest sealing the lid (most here would use a flour paste). With a pot still the temp gauge really doesn't serve much!
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Ouch, haven't you read any of the safety or building tips here? I admire your enthusiasm, but you've put the cart way in front of the horse. There are safety issues galore with that rig from the "gasket sealing" material to the plastic end cap, to the slip fit column. Please put that still away for now, and start by reading, "cranky's spoonfed" topic at the bottom of my post and then read a bunch more to keep you and your's safe!!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

...is it too late to return it?

This might be the most constructive and safe answer I can give you. The second most might be...don't use it again.

Just looking at the website concerns me a little... seems like a lot of hype to buy this product (6000 happy customers, best on ebay, ect...) You get what you pay for IMHO.

just a quick blurb to your questions:
1. When cooking your EtOH - you won't reach temps of 220 so it won't be as much of an issue. (this is NOT an endorsement to use this still)
2 See answer to #1
3. You have every right to worry...please be worried
4. You have every right to be concerned.... please be concerned.

This looks like someone trying to make a quick buck for a bunch of cheap pots and copper. Nothing about this still looks safe or would be something that could be condoned here I believe.

My opinion.. BigBob gave great advice on your "welcome" post. I would read and read again (current dictum here is "read until your eyes bleed"). I have been here going on 4 years and STILL read "the classics" from time to time. You will find how to build a good small still (you seemed interested in small stills in your Welcome) and be safe.

Other more experienced folks should come along soon...

EDIT: Posted with Bushman... now there is some experience for you!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
MajikMack
Novice

Post by MajikMack »

Yep, this is exactly what I was afraid of.. As I was reading and re-reading all the novice tidbits everywhere on the forum, Then go back to my lil still I was like, Houston I think we have a problem. which is why I wanted to put it under higher pressure and test it further and a good boil n clean wouldn't hurt right? I was actually starting to get scared, even just using water only... I mean, steam power can drive a 10 ton train what happens if it pops a clip or desides the flow isn't fast enough and blows the column (That just sits in place with no locks) through my face..

How do they suggest sealing the lid?
They sent 6 alligator style paper clips.. I kid you not.. Which was my first clue this rig might be bad. I did buy more clips but it just seems ... just scary as hell.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Actually alligator clips work fine as many members use them with flour paste.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

+! Bushman
Paper Clips
Paper Clips
I used them for about a year on this rig... no real issues. She produced a great drop too!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

MajikMack wrote:So I got this still on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121580800715?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I have used it a couple times, but today I was running a water run and seen some concerns..

1. Temp gage hit 220 and about that time I saw steam coming from the lids rim... So I got more clips to seal the lid on better and ran it again. The steam problem at the lid stopped.

2. After sealing the lid better with more clips I started to run it again.. It was going good for a bit (though it was puking distilled water and not a steady flow or drip) and then I saw steam coming from my cooling bath.. I had not yet put Ice in it but figured its just water, It may not need ice... The water was hot to the touch but not yet 'boiling' just steamy...

3. Plastic bits... On the top of the column there is a plastic piece you put your thermometer through to get your column readings. There is also a gasket on the rim of the lid to help seal it in.. Is this anything to worry about?

4. The column just slides into place. There is no real seal or tightening device. Should this be a concern?

Any thoughts would be great..
In the first place I would never buy something of a site screaming so hard to buy!
But then:
1) 220 F = 100 C and although at that temperature all alcohol is already gone, the still should not vent steam, in my opinion.
2) I did not see any cooling bath on the pictures of the site. So I can not judge about that. If you mean that a cooling bath recycles the cooling water, then of course it will gradually get warmer: the warm water coming from the cooler goes within short time again to the cooler and will warm up even further. If this bath gets too hot, it simply is too small. Or you should replace the water sooner.
3) Plastics are mixtures of a lot of ingredients and a lot of these are soluble in alcohol, especially hot alcohol. On the other hand: there are plastics that are considered acceptable for contact with food and it all depends on factors like time and surface of contact.
That the gasket on the rim is not sufficient would worry me not only about the steam but also about the plastic.
4) This would be a concern for me, to start with. But in your report you do not mention any problems with this part. So apparently this is not a priority: the rim is a weaker spot. A sliding fit might be very well very tight. Glasswork for a laboratory always uses sliding fits and they are really tight.

So, in short, my opinion for what it is worth:
I would not have bought it and if possible I would try to return it.
If that is not possible: I would try to find and make adjustments to reduce all the risks or just take my loss. (Maybe you can use some parts, for example to cook potatoes.)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

"Who you gonna satisfy with that little thing, Darlin?"

I think you know it's too small of a rig...

However, just to clarify things a bit... During actual distillation of spirits you will never go higher than ~208F, if that, and definitely not the boiling point of water... Alcohol laden wash boils well below that...

What we're seeing here is definite indicators that you need to do ample research before proceeding... I'll cite the mantra, "You need to know what you need to know before you need to know it!"... You have proven that out to yourself so now is the time to remedy that issue before proceeding...

Hey, if you can't get your money back at least you have a nice little stock pot for recipe preparation...
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

dude was running a water run so they said, 220F / 100C would be what you expect water to boil at?
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Small correction: water boils at 212 F at sea level, a little less the higher you get.