HDPE and Teflon

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

WTD
Novice

HDPE and Teflon

Post by WTD »

Hi, need advice on making seals. Looking into HDPE and Teflon. is HDPE ok, looks ok on spec sheet but havent seen it referenced for a while. this is a spec sheet
http://www.sdplastics.com/kingplastic/HDPE_CRC1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

main reason is its cheaper than Teflon and im making 8" seals

Does this look alright?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDPE-Sheet-3 ... 464b0bb327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers
WTD
Working on my 7th still, a 6" on a big boiler with a lot of gas power
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: HDPE and Teflon

Post by yakattack »

Hdpe is not at all suitable for any distilled alcohol. Plain and simple. Teflon is not resistant to alcohol it is impervious to alcohol. Big difference. We take safety here very seriously. Please have a look at the rules we live by.

Pro tip for you. Thread tape (pipe tape, plumbers tape) is Teflon. Also known as ptfe. Teflon is a brand name. Don't use pots or pans coated with it and asume it's safe. But Virgin ptfe tape is inert and impervious to alcohol.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

Ive been spoon fed silicone and EPDM for a few years until now but heard of ptfe being used too which is what im looking into.

Would something like this be suitable?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PTFE-Film-Sh ... cUaFPSpPOw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
that one sis from Hong Kong and im a bit skeptical sometimes.

What about this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/41cm-x-41cm- ... SwboVXOhVU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Is there different grades of PTFE or is it usually 100% when not cheap?

Cheers
WTD
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

Sorry about me keepin on posting :crazy:

Looking into custom made seals and on other thread pages i saw reference to vergin PTFE with no additives. Is this the only one that should be used and if so how does this page look? its an Australian manufacturer im emailing for quotes.

https://www.jameswalker.biz/en/products ... et-gaskets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Is 2mm best?

Cheers
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

The virgin PTFE is the only prise that will be sung on this forum but good luck getting it to seal your glass column.

:think: go to the maker of the glass that you're using, don't mention them on this forum :shh: See what they may suggest :wink: They might have a forum you can talk to people on also :esurprised: :silent:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Another issue with HDPE (and not that you need one) is its rigidity. It is far to stiff to try and make into a usable gasket
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

Hound Dog wrote:The virgin PTFE is the only prise that will be sung on this forum but good luck getting it to seal your glass column.

:think: go to the maker of the glass that you're using, don't mention them on this forum :shh: See what they may suggest :wink: They might have a forum you can talk to people on also :esurprised: :silent:
There are seals for them but i got these at a good price as they were not to the right measurements, came wrong from manufacturer or something like that, and wouldnt fit standard seals so i got them half price or something like that so their seals wont fit, asked already (maybe they might though?)

Only PTFE i have used is thread tape or teflon as its known which is soft. I saw in another thread someone used this on their plates wraped around a number of times with PTFE tape, is this ok for some cases? never seen it before like that.

With the PFTE virgin stuff custom made for me, why would it be hard to get it to seal on the glass? is it not a soft product? Is it hard requiring a lot of pressure to seal?

Cheers
WTD
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

PTFE gaskets are pretty rigid. They soften up with a little heat and I find myself tightening the tri clamps during the run.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
WTD
Novice

Post by WTD »

rgreen2002 wrote:PTFE gaskets are pretty rigid. They soften up with a little heat and I find myself tightening the tri clamps during the run.
What about having a bucket of boiling water and heating the plates in it, and the seals also. then putting the glass section together after heating them to make them more flexable? I dont mind tightening up a few bolts as it heats up, worst case is a few fores and heads sneaks out.

i have a few months before i need them, at least. I currently use silicone and EPDM in my 2" that i bought from a distilling seller i wont mention. Never questioned silicone from them.

PTFE sounds like the go from what ive read but is there something else i should look into? maybe EPDM?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

WTD wrote:i have a few months before i need them, at least. I currently use silicone and EPDM in my 2" that i bought from a distilling seller i wont mention. Never questioned silicone from them.

PTFE sounds like the go from what ive read but is there something else i should look into? maybe EPDM?
Absolutely DO NOT use EPDM...!!! You really need to start checking the MSDS of the materials you are thinking about using and stop using materials you don't know the MSDS of... Your life, and the lives of others, could depend on it... EPDM has a Hazardous Decomposition Warning for contact with high temperature alcohols... :sick:

PTFE... Period...!!! Don't ask about any other synthetic because the answer is gonna be "NO"...!!! Not even Silicone...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rad14701 wrote:EPDM has a Hazardous Decomposition Warning for contact with high temperature alcohols...
I think you'll find it's the other way around.

Hazardous Decomposition Products:
At Elevated Temperatures:
Alcohols, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons

http://pt-pcs.federalmogul.com/MSDSShee ... 82c4fb.pdf
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

NZChris wrote:
rad14701 wrote:EPDM has a Hazardous Decomposition Warning for contact with high temperature alcohols...
I think you'll find it's the other way around.

Hazardous Decomposition Products:
At Elevated Temperatures:
Alcohols, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons

http://pt-pcs.federalmogul.com/MSDSShee ... 82c4fb.pdf
That was just one of the MSDS's I checked... :ewink: I'd go check the other references but am headed out to the woods at the moment... Not that I should have to if the OP were to make the effort... When in doubt, leave it out is a good mantra to live by...
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Rule number 8.

8. These forums take a very strong negative view on the usage of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use in any area of hobby distilling (however HPDE buckets are acceptable for fermentation.) There simply are too many types of plastics and lack of reliable information about plastics, for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. There is a forum for proven info for or against any material (material/safety.)
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090