Dangerous Enzymes ?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Dangerous Enzymes ?

Post by HDNB »

Lots of us use enzymes.

Recently, after mashing my finger i had to be on antibiotics. this led to a skin fungal infection. (the antibiotics kill the friendly bacteria that usually will keep this at bay).

long story short...the fungus was identified as a strain of aspergillus. geez, i wonder where i would have been exposed to that? :lolno:

apparently this can be serious as a heart attack. usually only immno-comprimized people and those with lung problems (copd and asthma) have to be concerned. (and anti-biotics)...http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20030330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The sheet from the manufacturer warns not to let the liquid dry to then form a powder, that can then become airborne.

in the event you missed that warning, don't say you ain't been told. my case, being on the skin, is now fixed up with some cream...now if my finker would just grow back and quit hurting...
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dangerous Enzymes

Post by bitter »

Hope your ok. Thanks for the warning! So is liquid less risk then the powdered?

B
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

bitter wrote:Hope your ok. Thanks for the warning! So is liquid less risk then the powdered?

B
ya fine, i just got a itchy beard out of the deal (and a red face :oops: but ya can't see it fer the beard) i prolly had a smidge on finger and scratched the beard. likely would not have noticed at all if not for the antibiotics.

the danger is inhalation, i guess if you breathed in the concentrated liquid it would likely be worse...if ya didn't drown.

i just thought i'd throw this out because lots of guys are buying re-packaged enzymes and may not get the manufacturer's warning with it.

now i drink for evil.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks. No warning on the liquid ones I got for sure. I was figuring the power woudl be easy to inhale into the lungs.. Would be nasty for sure!

Going to be extra careful now!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Definitely thanks for the warning. I had no idea of this. Glad I never scratched my balls afterwards.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

HDNB...how exactly do you think you obtained the aspergillus infection? How is it related to the enzymes?
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Sorry, but I do not understand! What do enzymes, dried or not, have to do with an infection with Apergillus?
Aspergillus is a family of fungus, enzymes are bioactive proteins.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'm prolly just jumping to conclusions, since i'm not a biochemist...

seb GL is made from aspergillus niger...but it's a fermentation of...so likely no live spores? i dunno...maybe is live? the doc never said what kind of aspergillus took a liking to my beard, he just said the antibiotics likely wiped out the friendly bacteria that usually keeps this type of thing from biting in.

none the less...here's the warning from the manufacturer, in case you didn't get the instruction sheet with a re-packaging.
Liquid enzyme preparations are dust free. However, inappropriate handling may cause the formation of
aerosols or dust. Avoid formation of aerosols and dust from dried out or spilled enzyme. Avoid splashing and
high-pressure washing. Aerosols and dust may cause irritation when inhaled. Unnecessary contact with the
product and inhalation of dust should be avoided. In case of spillage or contact with the skin or eyes, rinse
affected area promptly with plenty of water. Specialty Enzymes and Biochemicals Co., provides Material Safety
Data Sheets, and advice regarding the safe handling of enzymes.
maybe my headline should have had a question mark in it...dangerous enzymes?

now i drink for evil.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

AH..now I see what you are worried about. The enzyme is produced by A. niger, but usually these extractions will not have actual fungi or fungal components in them(they are purified). As fas as where you got it... aspergillus (the two most common types related to disease A. flavus and A fumigatus) is everywhere. You breathe it daily but because you are immune competent, you will not have an issue. As a matter of fact they probably line your sinus cavities at any given time. Diabetes can count as an immunocomprimised state and peripheral vascular disease can cause trouble similarly in the extremities.

Kareltje is correct...as enzymes they themselves will have nothing to do with the infection

The most likely reason you got the infection is that it was crushed into your tissues when you had the accident with the roller mill. It put the fungus into a warm dark place with nice moisture and a good food supply.. The other possibility is if your bandage was wet for a period of time that allowed it to reproduce and get into the wound that way.

Either way, primary cutaneous aspergillus is not a huge deal.... the anti-fungal cream should take care of it as well as your own immune system... That being said be on the lookout for it not improving over the next week or so, occasionally it does require surgical debridement(not too often though!!) :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

yes, i'm learning more now...

thankfully the finger and the beard are separated by a few feet...i don't think that poor finger can take much more!

so more likely, i got dose from something in the environment like brushing one of the horses or my filthy mutt, and the antibiotics just opened up an easy path on my face for it to propigate?

is that more along the lines of what you think is going on?

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

On the bright side of things
We did did some studying on the health risks, of the many forms of aspergillus mold :lol:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

HDNB wrote:yes, i'm learning more now...

thankfully the finger and the beard are separated by a few feet...i don't think that poor finger can take much more!

so more likely, i got dose from something in the environment like brushing one of the horses or my filthy mutt, and the antibiotics just opened up an easy path on my face for it to propigate?

is that more along the lines of what you think is going on?

LOL... didn't know you had it on the face! I figured it was on the finger. Most likely then yes.... the antibiotics killed off some of your normal skin flora and you picked it up in the environment. By chance had you shaved in the area sometime around then? That would certainly do it...
HD Glossary - Open this
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

shadylane wrote:On the bright side of things
We did did some studying on the health risks, of the many forms of aspergillus mold :lol:
And learned to wash the face mop more regularly! :think: :moresarcasm:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Hound Dog wrote:
shadylane wrote:On the bright side of things
And learned to wash the face mop more regularly! :think: :moresarcasm:
wash it?
how do you get the dreads to stay in if you wash it?

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Dangerous Enzymes ?

Post by shadylane »

HDNB wrote:The sheet from the manufacturer warns not to let the liquid dry to then form a powder, that can then become airborn.
Thanks' for sharing the info :thumbup: