Propane, and a question about cinder blocks.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

mmmmmm
Novice

Propane, and a question about cinder blocks.

Post by mmmmmm »

Hello all. Not new to our hobby, but new to propane. I'm looking to leave my kitchen (and my 4 gallon pot) and start doing things on a slightly bigger scale, probably in my garage.

I have almost everything I need, and I was admiring some metal stands I'd seen people had built, but I don't know that that's an option for me right now because of cost. My first thought was to just set my pot up on four cinder blocks and put my burner underneath it.

Do you think I'd have an issue with the cinder blocks getting hot and cracking or breaking? I've seen conflicting information on the internet and I'd hate to turn my back on this option if I'm worrying about something that isn't going to be an issue.

Have any of you done this with cinder blocks?

Also. I'm completely new to propane, but I was reading that you're not supposed to store the tank inside or in a garage even. But I hate to just leave it out in the elements which is my only other option. Do you guys leave propane tanks out where they get rained on and stuff? Seems like a bad idea to me. Although the place I'm getting it from does leave them outside in a mesh cage. I dunno.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Propane, and a question about cinder blocks.

Post by T-Pee »

I use the basic turkey burner that's already mounted in a stand. Keeping it simple, ya know?
I store propane in the garage. As long as you turn it off when not in use, what's the problem?

tp
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Not sure what cinder blocks are but I have some bricks under my keg.

I've had my propane bottles out in the weather for 17 years no worries .

If you are going to use propane burner in the shed make sure the doors windows are open so CO2 doesnt build up and put you to sleep
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I would NOT use concrete blocks.
They are prone to cracking when exposed to heat....imagine that 15 gal of scalding wash flipping over on you.

Many years ago I used blocks to sit my car on while I jacked up the other side to change oil and brakes.
I had it up there real nice.....I walked a few feet away to get my Wrenches. BOOM...
I looked around one block had disintegrated and that side of the car was on the ground.
NEVER use concrete cinder blocks to hold up something heavy if you're going to be under it.
And I would NEVER use them for the pot support of Hot mash.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I use a turkey fryer burner elevated on brick risers that are confined in wood boxes . I have overhead support wires attached to the ceiling for additional safety . I've operated several years in my basement shop with positive ventilation fans evacuating co from the burner .
A HIGH END co MONITOR IS MANDATORY IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN PROPANE INDOORS . First time that rascal chirps you shut down and go to fresh air . co doesn't give second chances .
SpiritRunDave has built me a plenum for a 24" fan that we are going to incorporate into my vent system next week to keep me in even cleaner air .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

mmmmmm wrote:Do you think I'd have an issue with the cinder blocks getting hot and cracking or breaking?
I've seen conflicting information on the internet I was reading that you're not supposed to store the tank inside or in a garage even.
I dunno.
cinder blocks are made with fly ash, pumice blocks are pumice and concrete blocks, well concrete. they all look the same.

none of which are suitable for direct flame, which is why they are covered with firebrick in applications that involve flames.

so use fire brick if you must use brick. A wheel rim burner holder is easy to build and darn cheap. don't scrimp on safety.

for good information on propane tank storage call your local propane company, they hove more accurate info than 99.9%

of the internet. propane tanks must be recertified 12 years from new and every 5 years after that.

the only precautions I take with propane tanks is to plug or cover the POL and not store anywhere without ventilation
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Another bit of advice : don't use that convenient Blue Rhino exchange policy at the big box store . Mom and Pop shops and Tractor Supply will sell you a full 20# tank of propane instead of the 15# tanks being exchanged at the big boxes .
They will refill your empty tanks regardless of where you got them as long as their inspection numbers are current .
When you have a tank that is close to it's expiration date ; just take it back to the big box and trade it in . Use that 15# and go back to filling to 20# .
Another tip : immerse your tank in a water vessel as a heat sink . Propane refreezes itself as it boils off . Your regulator can freeze and make you think the tank is empty when it is still half full . Big box stores make millions on half full tanks that are exchanged for full ones .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I use cinder blocks as a wind shield for my turkey burner. Helps alot when there is a breeze outside.

I've used cinder blocks as fire pits before.....ALL cinder blocks eventually break from heat...in my experience.

I wouldn't dare set my boiler on one.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

Truckinbutch is totally right about Tractor Supply. I get my tanks refilled there for $10-12. Blue Rhino, etc. cost $20 or more, and only fill the tank 75%. TSC fills mine to the very top.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Span a grill top on them blocks an make sure you puttin them blocks like you would be layin em. Unless you cookin with wood that fire shouldn't come close to them blocks. If you worried get you some 5v tin an make a skirt on inside.

So I'm tole
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

What about concrete paver blocks? They're a lot more dense and dont have the two huge holes in the middle.

I love the turkey cooker Idea... I have two of them. I really like my electric boiler though.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

muscashine wrote:What about concrete paver blocks? They're a lot more dense and dont have the two huge holes in the middle.

I love the turkey cooker Idea... I have two of them. I really like my electric boiler though.
You are still dealing with the same material that does not react well to direct exposure to direct high heat .
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I dunno - 15 us gallons = =/- 60 litres = 60 kg = =132 lbs or thereabouts [Edit ="4/5 of 5/8 of F... Al"l ] . Lay the cinder blocks flat and bear in mind what gooseye says ? When I done roofing, I'd boil 25 litres of tar over propane on those block without a second thought.

Personally I sit mine on a plywood board - and just turn the electric on ! :)