New website...

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

New website...

Post by Mikey-moo »

I'm a member of a couple of brewing groups on Facebook and this past week I've seen a couple of posts from distillers - or at least 'still makers' - showing off their wares. Sadly their stills include glass thumpers, either mason jars or just gallon jugs, being held suspended in mid air by nothing more than their cap.

Now, you and I both know they're not safe, but to a newbie they look very impressive and even more so when the poster tells people they looked at the parent site to get the design and even posts a link such as: http://homedistiller.org/equip/designs/thumper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow - clearly showing a glass thumper - so it must be safe and even recommended, right?

Even sadder is that faced with a still that looks cool, the majority of comments were overwhelmingly positive and some people appeared to be seriously interested in commissioning similar stills of their own. No one wants to hear the safety message in these circumstances. They're all just drooling over the bubbles and the output stream being collected via a plastic funnel...

I know we don't control the parent site's content, which is crappy, so the only other solution I can think of is to abandon it altogether and switch to another homedistiller.*something* domain. There are lots of new domain suffixes available now - what are people's thoughts on moving the forum over and as much of the parent site as it good content and leaving the old one to lapse into obscurity? OR does anyone have a better idea?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: New website...

Post by jb-texshine »

There is alit of goid there but i agree, branches need trimming for the health of the tree as a whole.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: New website...

Post by Badmotivator »

As an alternative to scrubbing the main site or migrating to a new location, perhaps a banner should be made and inserted into the top of the old pages that says: "Warning: This information has not been updated since 2000-whatever. While some of this information is useful and true and current, home distilling has come a long way since then in terms of ease, quality, and safety. Please visit the forum and read more up-to-date information there."