Mason Jar Lid (alternative rubber seal)?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

Mason Jar Lid (alternative rubber seal)?

Post by joeymac »

I tried running a search and found some concern with mason jar lid seals (some kind of rubber) but I saw no mention of alternative mason jar lids. Some here think they're OK to use for normal drinking proofs but not good for high ABV% neutrals and others that say they avoid them for all distilled ABV%.

Seeing as the 1 quart Mason or Ball jars are the cheapest option I can find (12qt for $10), is there any replacement seal options for longer term storage that's considered safe? They're considerably cheaper for me to get at the market than 1, 3 or 5 gallon glass carboys from the brew shop. Plus they're a good size to make various macerations and pretty convenient to make cuts with - just line them up as the fill up off the drop. I'd like to try them for storage too.

I also have a bunch of grolsh flip cap style bottles I avoid storing in because it has a rubber seal too - any alternatives here?
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Mason Jar Lid (alternative rubber seal)?

Post by corene1 »

There have been quite a few threads on alternatives. I can remember a couple that were using PTFE discs to replace the metal disc in a mason jar. I don't have a link to the original thread but a search might find it. I will try and find it but they were also in expensive if memory serves.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Thanks Corene, im reading through those helpful threads now.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.