Shopping safely

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

BamaBill
Novice

Shopping safely

Post by BamaBill »

True story, occurred this week.
So, I was in a local grocery store, checking out. You know normal, everyday items: I had some potatoes, yeast and 25# bag of sugar.
A nice looking couple came up while I was putting my stuff on the conveyor and the guy says "Holy crap, I didn't know you could buy bags of sugar that big"...
She says "uh, yeah, don't you ever watch moonshiners?"
So, there I stood, sweaty and covered in grease, frozen in place. I SLOWLY turned my head to the couple, looked her straight in the eye and said " I bake alot of cakes".
They laughed, I laughed checked out and got out of there.
Moral to the story: be safe and prepared when you go shopping.
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shopping safely

Post by Opdog »

My church has a lot of bake sales.

I did have to laugh a couple weeks ago when I walked into my local Costco to grab a 50# bag of sugar. When I looked up they had the large bricks of bakers yeast and tubes of vanilla beans right above the sugar. Someone at Costco knows what's up.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Opdog wrote:My church has a lot of bake sales.

I did have to laugh a couple weeks ago when I walked into my local Costco to grab a 50# bag of sugar. When I looked up they had the large bricks of bakers yeast and tubes of vanilla beans right above the sugar. Someone at Costco knows what's up.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I find the tubes of vanilla beans are seasonal thus I usually buy several tubes around the winter holidays. Come to think about it I haven't used them in a while. Also nobody questions at Costco because everything is in bulk.
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

I get a little nervous buying chicken scratch, feed grade molasses and horse feed at the feed store and then loading it into a VW Beetle.
I can just hear 'em saying, "That ain't no farmer..."
Some men you jest cain't reach...
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

The farmers at the corn co-op don't even raise an eyebrow ...One sack? Piker!
Now molasses and sugar at the grocer where I clear a shelf, well that's for Ginger Snaps.
And Ginger, well she likes to make rum.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I am pretty sure the beer making store is on to me. The last time I filled a grain bill there, the man who rung me up said good luck with my essential oil extraction. ;-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OtisT wrote:I am pretty sure the beer making store is on to me. The last time I filled a grain bill there, the man who rung me up said good luck with my essential oil extraction. ;-)
Guy that owns our brew store showed me his first still in the back room.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yep - pretty sure that was a veiled invite into some "Inner circle" there Otis - :)
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

the feed store don't ask, my money is a as good as anyones, and if they ask, i'm just a beer brewer looking to malt my own grains or use cheap grain adjuncts.
Don't be a dick
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Pikey wrote:Yep - pretty sure that was a veiled invite into some "Inner circle" there Otis - :)
Yes, it was. ;-). I didn't tell the whole story, but after a few followup conversations, I'm gonna be showing my still to a few folks there in a few weeks time. This gets me thinking about the ol' days, when pot was illegal. The conventional wisdom was to ask "Do you work for law enforcement?" before showing/doing anything against the law. Not sure if this protects someone in any way, as in my experience Jonny Law lies like a load of bricks, but wondering how others handle this?
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

OtisT wrote:
Pikey wrote:Yep - pretty sure that was a veiled invite into some "Inner circle" there Otis - :)
Yes, it was. ;-). I didn't tell the whole story, but after a few followup conversations, I'm gonna be showing my still to a few folks there in a few weeks time. This gets me thinking about the ol' days, when pot was illegal. The conventional wisdom was to ask "Do you work for law enforcement?" before showing/doing anything against the law. Not sure if this protects someone in any way, as in my experience Jonny Law lies like a load of bricks, but wondering how others handle this?
Cops are allowed to lie and will . Don't tell and don't sell . Look at what they got all you want and say :
"GOOOOLLLLEEEY !"..............' I didn't know you could even do that .'
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I know a l.e.o. that distills. Nice guy. K9 officer. Makes a hell of a single malt.

Know a non distiller that owns a small bakery and gets bulk sugar at Costco. He tells them he's making shine.

I could be chopping up a body while typing this.

Point is words are just words,liars are common,ignorance is rampantand knowledge ain't illegal. Tell them its for whatever you want to. Some will think it's legal and some will think your joking and some will think your a liar. Fuck em.hearsay don't get a warrant.

Suicidal diabetic as an excuse ALWAYS makes them break eye contact and finish the transaction quickly.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

Got bees so buying sugar alot and also got chickens and turkeys so always buying grains. Make my own scratch grain. Never had anyone look twice
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I like the suicidal diabetic. Throw in a handful of candy bars and a 84 oz. cup of soda pop.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

I liked the rolin through sams club with 40 gallons of apple juice.... Im like what I got kids
ETOH.... yes plz
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

I used to buy my yeast at a local winery. My wife always asked me to get her white muscadine juice when I went. One day, my wife went with me and the same lady clerk that was always there said "yeast and this juice is real popular with moonshiners".
My wife laughed when we walked out and said "she's got you pegged". Lol
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

OtisT wrote:
It's still illegal here, so we buy king sized papers in the same store as all our distilling stuff. No point in getting busted twice.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

The local place where I get propane, often 3 bottles at a time refilled. Sometimes monthly. The guy said one of the last times "you must REALLY like to BBQ a lot!". Funny thing is that my home BBQ is on natural gas. The propane is only for 'stillin.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Local amish have a health food store. When i do my rum I'll walk out with four 5 gal buckets of molasses twice a year. Also get my vanilla beans there, ginger root for ginger brandy, various other odds and ends. Never a question asked. They just take my money.

I burn corn for heat, buy it bulk 5 tons a year, so got that covered too, ;)

Just went and filled five 20lb propane cylinders the other day.

I remember when i bought my first alcohometer at the brew shop.

Worker: "You sure you have the right one?"
Me: "Yup"
Worker: "You know what thats for?"
Me: "Yup"
diesel1975
Novice

Post by diesel1975 »

Its not these mellinials you have to worry about. Its the older baby boomers and traditionalists you have to worry about. They seem to more know about what it takes to make shine. The older lady in town that owns the plumbing store always asks what I'am working on . I just tell her its a patent I'am working on. Well to me its is.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Yup law can lie to get you to admit doin somethin wrong.

Never admit to nothin or you can't never ever take it back.

Times is a changein. They are legalizein pot an outlawin tobacca.

So I'm tole