Tubing Safety for Automated Cocktail Dispenser

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

mrcranky
Novice

Tubing Safety for Automated Cocktail Dispenser

Post by mrcranky »

Hi all,

I know that this forum is for distillers, but I figured that you would be the best to ask this question. I'm working on building an automated cocktail making machine much like the one here (http://yujiangtham.com/2014/05/25/build ... bot-part-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow), but I don't know what tubing would be safe for Gin, Rye, etc... (nothing above 45% abv).

I need something that will be flexible so that it works with a perlistic pump so this rules out FEP. I don't know if PTFE is flexible enough (since I've never seen it in person).

If you could let me know a type of tubing that you think would be safe for short periods of contact, please let me know. The size of tubing that I am looking for is 1/16" ID, 1/8" OD, 1/32" Wall.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tubing Safety for Automated Cocktail Dispenser

Post by Klein »

Ptfe but I also don't know how flexible it is, no one here is going to say that it would be ok to use any other materials.
Stainless steel, copper, ptfe, glass are the only materials, even if it's for a short time.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Look up the chemical compatibility data from the material manufacturers rather than relying on the opinions of shopkeepers and forum members.
mrcranky
Novice

Post by mrcranky »

Thanks for your responses. It looks like I might scrap this project and see if I can figure out a way to do it without pumps & tubing.
C2-H5-Oh
Novice

Post by C2-H5-Oh »

McMaster.com offers HDPE tubing that is high temp and rated for 100% propanol / methanol, which will be fine for high ABV ethanol. https://www.mcmaster.com/#hdpe-tubing/=17k3ftw. Glass is best, but glass tubes are not flexible.
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

look up the different blends of Tygon tubing. i am sure there is a blend for alcohol.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka