tainted booze in mexico

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

tainted booze in mexico

Post by cob »

NBC evening news did an article today about adulterated liquor at multiple resorts in mexico

the death of a 20 year old girl brought on the investigation. liquor from multiple resorts was tested.

43% of the liquor tested was found to be adulterated. NBC did not elaborate further.

edit; 10,000 gallons confiscated in cancun alone
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: tainted booze in mexico

Post by Truckinbutch »

I read that , too . Scary , ain't it ! Rekin I'll continue to do my drinkin at home .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Think I'll stick with un-opened bottles of beer next visit.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hmmm - things have a way of "Getting into the news" nowadays when there could be little or no truth in them and political advantage to be gleaned from the rumour mills.

I think most resorts will have "Adulterated drinks" served at the bar - especially those "All in" holidays where you can drink all night and hardly feel any benefit :roll:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Pikey wrote:Hmmm - things have a way of "Getting into the news" nowadays when there could be little or no truth in them and political advantage to be gleaned from the rumour mills.
I guess it wasn't your daughter who died from drinking the poisoned drink. Or, then you wouldn't have thrown the "bullshit" flag!

Risky business, I'd say. Consumer beware.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:
Pikey wrote:Hmmm - things have a way of "Getting into the news" nowadays when there could be little or no truth in them and political advantage to be gleaned from the rumour mills.
I guess it wasn't your daughter who died from drinking the poisoned drink. Or, then you wouldn't have thrown the "bullshit" flag!
ss
Nobody's daughter died from drinking "Poisoned booze" - a 20 y.o. (or 22 y.o. depending which version you choose ) on holiday with her family drowned after drinking - drinking and swimming is not usually recommended anywhere, especially for novice drinkers.

Chooses your own version of the "news":

http://allinclusivegal.com/adulterated- ... in-cancun/

http://www.newsmax.com/Reagan/alcohol-a ... id/807726/

http://www.salud.carlosslim.org/english ... d-alcohol/

".....They recommended avoiding drinking homemade or artisanal alcohol beverages, which distillation is usually not performed according to the Mexican Official Norm, raising the risk of chronic liver damage and renal system....."

Now where habe we heard similar to that ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Adding to the fervor:
http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.com/2 ... ng-guests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Hearsay?
The bootleg liquor could be infused with grain alcohol or dangerous concentrations of methanol, cheaper alternatives to producing ethanol, government reports warn.

And the mixtures are capable of making people extremely sick.

The blackouts have happened to men and women, young and old, to singles and to couples, according to interviews with nearly a dozen travelers and family members whose loved ones died or were injured at the resorts, as well as hospital records, ambulance receipts, hotel correspondence and other documents.
from this reference: http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017 ... 490429001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Circumstances vary, but the incidents are not fictional. Caution to vacationers going to Mexico. The US State Department has issued warnings to travelers.
Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.
from this reference: https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... exico.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow (under the Safety & Security tab)

So, I don't believe this is just "media hype". Again, it is the consumer's responsibility to beware of the products consumed and doing so responsibly. It can be dangerous otherwise.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

In common with your references, I tried too to find ones from what may be called "Reputable sources" but was unable to except for that final quote of yours

"...... Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.............

..........from this reference: https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... exico.html (under the Safety & Security tab)....."

Which in reality simply says "There have been allegations" and "Drink in moderation..."

Moderation is sensible enough advice - and there are always PLENTY of "Allegations " about. Allegations does NOT equate to truths.

And allowing these gross exaggerations and mistruths to perpetuate because we are just too lazy to read between the lines - is very risky. The last time we allowed that, we suddenly woke up to find that our car exhausts were going to cause massive flooding as the poles melted ! whilst no sincere evidence has ever been put forward. Just repetition and spurious pseudo science.

It is up to us to seek the truth as best we can and not to be sucked in by "Pseudo news" and "Blogs" from those wanting 15 minutes of fame. I am honestly surprised that you are not a llittle more sceptical yourself ss on this particular matter - the same can be said for the rest of the forum really, as the weapons being used against mexican hotels and alcohol are the same ones which we have trained on us regularly.

I wonder if these rumours will reduce the US citizens going on holiday to mexico this year ?

[EDIT - Some really nice CHEAPO deals to be had methinks ! :thumbup: ]
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Pikey; do I read you right that you claim that one of the largest news agencies in

the united states is reporting FAKE NEWS. I have heard that somewhere before.
be water my friend
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cob wrote:
........ NBC did not elaborate further.......
Or just not reporting the "whole news" ?

I did the searches with NBC as a part and was surprised to find nothing.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

search term "tainted alcohol in mexico resorts" several pages are shown.

this is just one.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-w ... 15032.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

my previous question stands
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

cob wrote:Pikey; do I read you right that you claim that one of the largest news agencies in
the united states is reporting FAKE NEWS. I have heard that somewhere before.
Welcome to Media Australia, birthplace of the Murdoch empire where all news has an agenda and the truth is merely a matter of perception. We get adulterated news daily on many subjects and none more so than shine or even alcohol in general.
Swimming while intoxicated is not a smart move, years ago I saved the life of my ex's cousin. She was drunk and swam out in a wide, deep flowing river. By the time i was alerted it was very frightening as she was failing fast and I had a long way to swim in murky water. In fact when I got to her only her hand was visible and sinking. When we got back to the bank guess I told her that was pretty stupid, what I didn't blame was the beer cans.
I wonder had I not got there in time and it was touch and go just how the media would have reported it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

so the last time i was in Jamacia, the tarbender was pouring mojitos at 10am 6oz booze and 6oz ice, mix and mint. I figgered :wtf: are you doing and said so...it's 10am??!!

he smiles and hands me the drink and shows me the bottle (it was a Bacardi i'm sure) and in little print he points out "island blend" or some such printed on it. anyway i drank the thing (cause i'm a likker pig) and there wasn't a 1/2oz of real 40% booze in it. at 10am, even i can tell how strong a drink is.

drank all day with nary a buzz, but one scotch at the premium bar that night i could feel.

This all makes sense... if i had a resort with free booze, the last thing i'd want is a bunch of rowdy, drunk, passed out piss drunk assholes puking all over my resort.

Passing out from a magical over-proof makes no business sense to me whatsoever. even if they did buy local shine, it would make sense to water it down, not proof it up.

slipping a hot babe a micky may make sense to some sick F*()ING criminal though. And THAT is all kinds of likely in tourist areas. men ain't safe either...rolling tricks in las vegas is just another day at the office for the workin' girls there.

You really should not need the government to tell you to keep your wits about you while travelling.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thecroweater ; does the Murdoch empire have control over the internet content

that gets displayed in Australia also ? yes I know the net is a marginal source for

news or info but reuters, upi, and other reliable agencies have web sites also.
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

a little bit of background here:
Five countries on earth have a greater than 50% ownership of media by a single entity, of those only two Australia and New Zealand are Democratic countries. News corp (Murdoch) owns 58% of all media but a circulation wider including online. The next biggest player is Fairfax (largest share hold is the evil billionaire and mining mogul Gena Reinhart) Then I think is Packer's holdings seven and nine that control tv, Yahoo and a lot of online media . Those three control well over 90% of the media and more often than not work for their common interests (getting filthy stinking rich). Little side shows like sin taxes on alcohol smokes fuel etc are ferverently supported and protected to make darn sure poorest pay the most tax, and the super rich pay nothing (I think the Packer family paid $11 tax one year)
Point being the mass media at least here has very often nothing to to with reality and there is a bill in Parliament now to tear down what few anti monopoly laws still exist.
Example : We had two guys in Tasmania that "died of moonshine" police news on ABC online revealed that they had in fact stole opium sap and OD'd but that was not reported in the mainstream. Another is 4 guys that died drinking bad shine in Qld that was in fact commercially bought methanol purchased for making biodiesel. The list goes on and on with not one single incident turning out to be truthful at all or in part. Yes you delve you can find the truth in online police and coroner reports but the masses here firmly believe home made spirits causes blindness, Jake leg and will kill ya to death with metho because that is what they are fed in the web of propaganda excepted as the media.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

cob wrote:thecroweater ; does the Murdoch empire have control over the internet content

that gets displayed in Australia also ?
i did read your response to this question. but the answer is as simple as

yes or no, or any thing you might wish to add.

really I want to know if your internet is throttled or censored.
be water my friend
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

cob wrote:
..........really I want to know if your internet is throttled or censored.
Are you aware that EVERYONE's internet is throttled AND censored - whenever you do a Google search, the results are presented to be in line with your own personality and preferences - If you believe in conspiracies, the most common results will tend to confirm that - you will never see the "Other side of the argument" - Thus you will never be able to form a balanced opinion.

This is one of the really serious downsides of the internet in my opinion and hugely divisive. I was shocked to hear this explained on a serious programme on BBC Radio 4 a few months ago. We only get our biases confirmed and amplified - never get a chance to discuss and make real opinions ! :shock:

More recently, the head of "news" on the same station was being cross-examined on what they allowed through as "real news" and was responding to a complaint that they had failed to report newspaper articles stating that the temperature in the Arctic was "Up by 20 degrees Centigrade..." - He said they were aware of the stories and had spoken to the Met, who had confirmed that the temperatures had been up, but nowhere near as much as stated and were now back to normal.

So some stations try to filter out some of the garbage.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

HDNB wrote:so the last time i was in Jamacia, the tarbender was pouring mojitos at 10am 6oz booze and 6oz ice, mix and mint. I figgered :wtf: are you doing and said so...it's 10am??!!

he smiles and hands me the drink and shows me the bottle (it was a Bacardi i'm sure) and in little print he points out "island blend" or some such printed on it. anyway i drank the thing (cause i'm a likker pig) and there wasn't a 1/2oz of real 40% booze in it. at 10am, even i can tell how strong a drink is.

drank all day with nary a buzz, but one scotch at the premium bar that night i could feel.

This all makes sense... if i had a resort with free booze, the last thing i'd want is a bunch of rowdy, drunk, passed out piss drunk assholes puking all over my resort.

Passing out from a magical over-proof makes no business sense to me whatsoever. even if they did buy local shine, it would make sense to water it down, not proof it up.

slipping a hot babe a micky may make sense to some sick F*()ING criminal though. And THAT is all kinds of likely in tourist areas. men ain't safe either...rolling tricks in las vegas is just another day at the office for the workin' girls there.

You really should not need the government to tell you to keep your wits about you while travelling.
Quite so HDNB - It is very rare to see severe drunkenness among those who are drinking all day long at those "All-inclusive" resorts which we use and a Couple of years ago in Mexico (Admittedly the "other side" from Cancun), I got so fed up I went and bought my own bottles from a local supermarket, so I could get a "Proper drink" :lol:
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

What is the Key Word. In all these reports??
MEXICO.
Everything down there is Crooked.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Bah! I've had great times in Mexico, met some of the kindest people I've ever known there. Southerners pride themselves on hospitality, in my experience most Mexicans exemplify it! I'd say the key word isnt "Mexico", it's "resort".

(I will note the irony of my objecting to your calling the country crooked, while sporting the moniker of one of their most loved outlaws, Emiliano Zapata)
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Has anybody ever seen someone have trouble with their vision/go blind, from consuming homemade? (I'm not talking about somebody that has consumed so much they can't see straight!). I know the potential is there without a doubt if someone is careless. I've just never seen it happen to someone making their own that know what they're doing.

I have a wife of 31 years and two daughters of legal drinking age; and in all 3 cases, none of them will try a new batch until they see me drink some first and prove to themselves it doesn't blind/kill me. When I try to explain to them about fore-shots and being careful when distilling, it doesn't matter. I feel like the royal taste tester in medieval times! And for the most part, my family believes in me and supports me; they just can't get those old tales out of their heads. This is a good part of the reason legalizing our hobby is such a problem. I'm afraid many in our modern society support the Jerry Seinfeld/George Costanza method for separating truth from lies. "If you believe it, it isn't a lie!"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

gsugg wrote:Has anybody ever seen someone have trouble with their vision/go blind, from consuming homemade? (I'm not talking about somebody that has consumed so much they can't see straight!). I know the potential is there without a doubt if someone is careless. I've just never seen it happen to someone making their own that know what they're doing. ....."
Is this appropriate in this thread ? :?

New thread started
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=67608
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

I apologize Pikey, I was thinking it fit since we were discussing the general safety of certain drinks, areas, etc. Totally my bad, I do apologize.

Gsugg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

gsugg wrote:I apologize Pikey, I was thinking it fit since we were discussing the general safety of certain drinks, areas, etc. Totally my bad, I do apologize.

Gsugg
Just a judgement call Gsugg, you didn't do anything bad, don't stress over it :)
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:What is the Key Word. In all these reports??
MEXICO.
And what is the key word behind your post??
RACISM.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

der wo wrote:
MEXICO.
RACISM.
The funny thing is, that in both countries the predominant groups nowadays are descendants of Europeans. And in both countries the original inhabitants are considered second rate. :evil:
The real key word is tainted booze, for that is the deadly problem. In all reports, be they from Australia, India, Russia, Appalachia.
But this may be considered too far off topic.

Edit: Oh, and the Spanish were FIRST! Or should I spell FOIST!
Edit again: Rule no 7.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

der wo wrote:
MEXICO.
RACISM.
Have you had personal experience in Mexico?
Many of us who live near Mexico have had personal experiences there.
It's not racism if it's true.
That said, I have had good experiences and I have had bad experiences there.
You likely (I don't say positively because I don't know you that well) have had none.
Having had zero experience there one would be considered an ass to put forth the theory you have.
Please tell me you have much experience there so to change my mind.
Without that I will assume you are using the "R" word because it fits your personal sense of morality and not any real world experience.
As I said I have had both kinds of experience there, so some of this is earned and some is not.
There are good honest people everywhere.
There are also assholes everywhere.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

end the political/racism or whatever that is and personal attacks now.

consider it reported ...i'll point the admin to this and see if they want to let it rest or if there is violations. if you don't like something use the red ! up in the top right corner and admin will get to it. (no need here i did already)

the topic of the thread is tainted booze (in Mexico) if you have nothing to add to the topic keep your opinions to yourself. use the ! thats what it's there for.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Yep time to get back on topic. I didn't find any racism in the comment.Lil shit stirring by some .My opinion of Mexico I worked there some off and on in the 70ds and vacationed there since.Seemed it took bribes to someone to get about anything done .Id call that crooked .My first wife mother of my children is Hispanic so its not about race .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Greed isn't a racial issue . It's just greed .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .