Can I use this PTFE O-ring in my boiler lid.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Can I use this PTFE O-ring in my boiler lid.

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I am getting a new 8 Gallon Boiler from Mile-Hi, I know that under the lid there is a silicone gasket, which I will not use for safety reasons, as mentiond in many threads here, so after doing some research I come across this PTFE O-Ring gasket in Amazon, which I would like to buy it says that it is PTFE, and suitable for alcohol usage, but I did not find anything that it says it is food grade, so I have been wondering if all the PTFE are the same, for example, I use a modular system and use 2" PTFE envelope gaskets, does this o-ring is the same, can I use it with peace of mind, does anyone has an experience with these type of gaskets ? Here is the link, I would appreciate if you could comment on this, as I really take the safety seriously.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Can I use this PTFE O-ring in my boiler lid.

Post by still_stirrin »

Is this the boiler you're asking about?
https://milehidistilling.com/product/8- ... inch-dome/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The advertisement says the dome is 8", which would seem to match up to the 8"OD gasket you're inquiring about. But without either "in hand" it is hard to confirm compatibility. You could send an inquiry directly to Mile Hi and see their response. Or, gamble they'll fit simply based upon the description of the parts. Your choice.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much SS I contacted them but they do not have any experience with it, I purchased the PTFE o-ring, will try and let you all know about it, the only thing that I wonder if all PTFE is suitable for this kind of application, I read from the instructions that it is suitable for alcohol. But does that mean food grade that I do not know, I hope its ok. Another thing I purchased a teflon cylinder and made like a cap in the lathe machine to go with my sight glass, that is teflon from what I read teflon is just the trade name for PTFE.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yep. "Teflon" is a registered trade name by DuPont for polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). You're "good to go".
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K