Check Your Seals Periodically !!!

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Check Your Seals Periodically !!!

Post by sltm1 »

My last 2 runs were short on product and I chalked it up operator mistake (maybe not enough sugar, although that didn't seem right as I wasn't imbibing while measuring). Running some UJ yesterday and there was a distinct alcohol odor in the room, never had that before. Sniffed around the still and discovered 2 spots on my thumper where the teflon tape had was no longer sealing properly on the threaded parts. Lesson learned, do NOT ever become complacent with your stilling, this is the 1st mechanical failure I've had in over 4 years, but I'll be much more vigilant from now on.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Check Your Seals Periodically !!!

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good point . I have a small mirror on an extendable stem . I periodicly check all seals and joints during each run . Fog on a mirror surface will detect a leak immediately .
Murphy is always lurking in your still house waiting for a chance to shaft you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

Great idea
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

Yesterday I ran a third gen ujsm, after the run I let the boiler cool down a bit. when I returned to the kitchen I discovered the backset leaking on my floor. It was my mistake for not using teflon tape when I inserted my element into the tri-clamp addapter. I have everything grounded and the 240 side of my controller was unplugged but still got my attention.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

A reminder for those of you with thumpers . Immediately break the seal on the boiler side (I open the fill pipe on mine) at the end of a run to prevent the possibility of a vacuum collapse as things cool .
Sorry for jackin the thread . This just can't be brought up often enough .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

No sweat, safety is safety !! Gotta get one of those mirrors, touched my neck to hot pipes a couple of times sniffin' around, another lesson learned !!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: