A Gush of Tepid Thumper Water

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

A Gush of Tepid Thumper Water

Post by sltm1 »

I am bumfuggled here. I just did some leak repair on my still, changing teflon tape, everything is now nice and tight, however, after heating for 1 1/2 hours it gushed tepid thumper water into the container. Turned it off, let it cool started it up again and it did the same thing. I'm using a 5500w element on 110 house current, a 7 gallon still filled with five and the thumper is less then 1/3 filled.....did I just reinvent a pressure cooker or do I need a controller on my element? Yes, all pipes are clear and it used to take 2+ hours to get to temp.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: A Gush of Tepid Thumper Water

Post by jedneck »

I'll start with the obvious. Didnt get the plumbing switched around?
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

jedneck wrote:I'll start with the obvious. Didnt get the plumbing switched around?
My guess as well. Interesting to see the actual resolution.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Nope, I made it so it couldn't be reversed, the lebig connecter pipe from the thumper is longer than the one from the still to the thumper.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Pictures?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

sltm1 wrote:the lebig connecter pipe from the thumper is longer than the one from the still to the thumper.
That does sound switched around.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

sltm1 wrote:Nope, I made it so it couldn't be reversed, the lebig connecter pipe from the thumper is longer than the one from the still to the thumper.
that is indeed backwards.
be water my friend
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

God I love you guy's, I just pulled the thumper apart and I'll-be-go-to-hell,that's exactly what I did !!!! Next time I'm working on 2 fittings I'll be working on them one at time instead of both at once................THANK YOU !!!!

Post Script: I really need a refresher course in basic physics...as in pressure and flow duh!!

Cob, I was referring to the connector's on the top of the thumber lid, what I crossed up were the 2 connecting pieces inside the thumper.
Last edited by sltm1 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Should this post be included in the "Mistakes" thread...or does stupid get it's own thread LOL
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I was also referring to the long pipe that went to the bottom of the thumper

connecting to the lebig, and the vapor out port actually being used as the

vapor in port. I guess it didn't read the way I wanted.

as far as the mistakes thread or any others don't tell nobody, we won't.
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

sltm1 wrote:Should this post be included in the "Mistakes" thread...or does stupid get it's own thread LOL
All saints have feet of clay if you but consult their groom .
Of course you should also post in 'Mistakes I Have Made' . It was established to consolidate mistakes for those following behind us to learn from .
You got no corner on stupid . Trust me , we have all made mistrakes :wtf:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I know I don't have lock on "stupid", but mayhap my gift is to bring it to a new level...LOL I will repost this on the mistakes thread, under " Take Yer "F-N' Time ".
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

sltm1 wrote:I know I don't have lock on "stupid", but mayhap my gift is to bring it to a new level...LOL I will repost this on the mistakes thread, under " Take Yer "F-N' Time ".
Relax , buddy . Every time you think you have committed or witnessed the stupidest thing imaginable that can be done ; another humanoid will come along and prove you wrong .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Damn, you got that right, everytime I think humans can't surprise me with their stupidity I get proved wrong.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

there is a statement I heard a long time ago that I still use.

do you know the difference between genius and stupidity?...............there is a limit to genius......every time you see "the most stupid thing ever"......soon you will see something that tops it
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:there is a statement I heard a long time ago that I still use.

do you know the difference between genius and stupidity?...............there is a limit to genius......every time you see "the most stupid thing ever"......soon you will see something that tops it
Ain't that the truth, I just forgot to add my malted grains and now have a moldy 15 gallons of shit!!!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Shine0n wrote: ...Ain't that the truth, I just forgot to add my malted grains and now have a moldy 15 gallons of shit!!!
That's a recurring nightmare I wake up to.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

can't say it will never happen again but DAMN!

Just goes to show how simply things can go wrong, I've been at this quite a while now and I'm 99.9% Sureof things but it's that .01% that can get me hurt badly.

Mine was minor compared to the possibility of a over pressured pot of boiling mash.

Luckily nothing except pride was hurt this time, so to anyone reading this... please check and recheck your stuff so no one gets hurt doing what we love.

Shine0n
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I have a one-hole-thumper, so connecting the wrong way around is very hard.

Were there not some strange sounds to warn you? I run my thumper partly by sound.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

It made an unusual turbulent noise just before the water gushed out both times, and i mean JUST before. The nice thing about my rig is that as soon as I turn off the power, the stream/drip stops almost instantly, the gushing stopped equally as fast which saved my bacon !! Both incidents were about 10 minutes apart and after the second, I closed the run down, posted here immediately and got responses before the thumper was cool enough to open it up and find the problem.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Don't wory about it - was cooking a stew tonight and complaining the ring wouldn't turn down enough - (I had it on 1 !)

After bit the missus tells me I had 2 rings on - 1 on no6 the other on no1 - She rescued teh situation and we got some decent stew :lol: