Danger with drinking containers

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Danger with drinking containers

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I'm posting this because, although this woman isn't an HD'er, and she's not a stupid person. (She has a PhD in Education) this could happen to anyone who doesn't keep there wits about them. She's an artist and went to paint “ plein air” which just means outside. She packed all her stiff to keep the weight down and did an absolute NO NO that applies to us too. She put poison in a drinking bottle...namely turps in a water bottle, that looked just like her regular water bottles...and drank it, coughed it out and inhaled it, then had to be hospitalized and now has pneumonia.
My point is this...we drink, and there are times when we absolutely DON”T have our wits about us... that's one of the reasons I'm in this hobby. So this warning goes double for us...

NEVER EVER, NOT NEVER put something that's poison or not to be consumed, into ANY drinking container, wine bottle, used whiskey bottle, mason jar...the list is endless.

Start saving junk glassware that CANNOT be mistaken for what it is. So that when your in that delightful haze of a good afternoon or evening “splash around the hobby” that there is no possible way to mistake fun for poison. It's a mistake we can't afford to make and could easily prove fatal!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Danger with drinking containers

Post by Pikey »

You know what Bruce ? I do that ! - Foreshots in bottles - yes Skull and crossbones in permanent marker and "Foreshots" Poison written on - but I can wipe -permanent marker off with - foreshots.

I know foreshots are not really what we mean by "Poison" but pretty nasty stuff !

Thanks for bringing this up :thumbup:
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Kept a glass of disinfectant in the bathroom to dip toothbrushes before putting them away.
Visiting son was used to taking a swishing drink while brushing teeth...
Yes. He did.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

years ago on a winter camp with the scouts there was a milk jug with white gas in it

on the same sled with milk jugs with water in them. one of the scout masters discovered

the white gas the hard way, but managed not to swallow any.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

You make a valid point kiwi Bruce :thumbup:
Shit does happen and we should as vigilant as we can .
I work in a Lab and its part of our WHS requirement to label all containers .
Everything decanted has to be labeled . Some might think its over the top but when you have a jar or bottle of stuff that someone left from the day before that you have no idea what it is then suddenly it becomes important .

I have a perminant marker on hand in the distillery .::.: label everything . My memory isn't what it used to be .I am pleased I write on my many dozens of jars and demis whats in them

The words foreshots and heads means a lot to me but god forbid ( I'm not religious but I know a lot of you folk are ) if someone enters my space and tried to help themselves to my jars then I bet they also probably wouldn't understand but I hope that the words Poison and skull and crossbones on the bad jars might save a life .
Just saying

Again thanks to kiwi Bruce for highlighting : :thumbup: we need to make whats drinkable and whats not as obvious as we can what ever it takes
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Its not only what we put in the containers. It is also what was in them before. Many reuse old bottles that in prevoius times could have had poisons in them. Before plastics came around many poisons where sold in glass n ceramic with a label that is long gone. Will it carry over, I'd rather not find out.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

WAY back in the day, poisons were sold in brown bottles, as I recall TRIANGULAR not round or square (not quite certain of that); with crosses and the word POISON raised in the glass.
Looked up triangular poisons bottles in Google. I was right, and a lot were cobalt blue.
Geoff
The Baker
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I use sticky backed label blanks made for file folders. They are cheap and when the contents o a container change, I put a new label on top o the previous one. I think it is crazy to not have a label on every container, no matter what.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

+1 on that...I used to use cards and rubber bands, then one day I discovered three or four cards on the floor and a hand full of perished rubber bands...now I use plastic covered twist ties.

and your right label everything, no matter what!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

The Baker wrote:WAY back in the day, poisons were sold in brown bottles, as I recall TRIANGULAR not round or square (not quite certain of that); with crosses and the word POISON raised in the glass.
Looked up triangular poisons bottles in Google. I was right, and a lot were cobalt blue.
Geoff
I just looked them up too, freakin cool. Unfortunately all I want to do now is troll ebay to find some.....TO PUT GOOD BOOZE IN !!! kinda defeat the purpose though, eh?
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

Yep brother in law had a nursery and he put zero in a coke bottle kid ended up in hospital they saved her