Whole Corn

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Backwoods Distillers
Site Donor
Site Donor

Whole Corn

Post by Backwoods Distillers »

Corn Mold.jpg
Is there mold on this corn?

Thanks,

Kerry
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Whole Corn

Post by still_stirrin »

Not a very good photo, but it does look like there is something growing on your corn kernels. Is it mold?...hard to tell. But it might be. Only you will know for sure if you look under a microscope. From this distance......????
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Backwoods Distillers
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Backwoods Distillers »

Sorry for the poor picture but will not let me upload higher resolution.
I can't find a picture of mold on a piece of corn on the internet. I do believe it is mold by the green color. Just would like other peoples opinion. I have about 50 lbs of corn and will have to get rid of it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey Kerry,

You didn’t ask what you could or should do with the corn. You didn’t say how much of it you had. Or even if it is dangerous to use in a beer. You asked if it was mold. So, you got an answer to the question you asked. And I alone gave you that answer although many others read your question and my answer, yet they refrained from adding any comments.

Evan now, you haven’t asked for any more help but you expect responses from the world’s audience. That is quite entitled on your part.

So, with all this said, I’ll do you one better and suggest you use the bushel of corn to make a beer as soon as possible. Get it into the fermenter right away before the mold gets worse. There is still fermentable starch there that will feed yeast. And remember, you’re going to distill it anyway.

A warm, moist environment will nurture wild flora and mold spores, so in the future keep your grains in a less friendly environment. I keep my grains in the deep freeze. It preserves moisture and the proteins/starches, kills weevils, and prevents mold from growing on grains that have moisture in them. For example, your malted barley will mold quickly if not prpoerly stored. A freezer is a valuable tool for any all grain brewer.

Now, quit your whining and get to work.

And next time ask the real question for which you’re looking for help with.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K