enzymes?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

copper sweat
Swill Maker

enzymes?

Post by copper sweat »

Could I use the trub from my last AG to convert the starch in my next batch? Do the enzymes settle to the bottom. I'm just about to do a search but I figured I'd ask. Thanks
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: enzymes?

Post by MitchyBourbon »

You might find some wore out yeast but you aren't likely to find much in the way of enzymes.
I'm goin the distance...
copper sweat
Swill Maker

Post by copper sweat »

I thought that the enzymes just became dormant when the temperature drops below Mashing temp?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

copper sweat wrote:I thought that the enzymes just became dormant when the temperature drops below Mashing temp?
You have it backwards... Enzymes die above the mash temperature... They will work down to room temperature at a progressively slower rate...
copper sweat
Swill Maker

Post by copper sweat »

rad14701 wrote:
copper sweat wrote:I thought that the enzymes just became dormant when the temperature drops below Mashing temp?
You have it backwards... Enzymes die above the mash temperature... They will work down to room temperature at a progressively slower rate...
dormant not denatured. what I'm asking is are the enzymes still alive after the fermentation
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Enzymes aren't living organisms like yeast. They are proteins and are catalysts in the conversion of starch to sugar. These enzyme proteins are produced during the germination process and are used by us to convert grain starches to sugar. The enzymes are used up during the conversion. I guess there could possibly be some leftover enzymes if you add more than is needed for the conversion, but probably very little. Point is, enzymes aren't living organisms and don't reproduce themselves.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
copper sweat
Swill Maker

Post by copper sweat »

I found what I was looking for on the interweb. Enzymes are limited by their saturation point. I always had the idea that they would continue to catalyze until they run out of carbohydrates or until they were denatured bye heat or Ph levels. my curiosity always gets the best of me.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

The saturation point of enzymes simply describes the limit at which a given enzyme speeds a given reaction.

Temperature and ph are not the only factors that can denature enzymes. Ethanol also dentures enzymes.
I'm goin the distance...
copper sweat
Swill Maker

Post by copper sweat »

MitchyBourbon wrote:The saturation point of enzymes simply describes the limit at which a given enzyme speeds a given reaction.

Temperature and ph are not the only factors that can denature enzymes. Ethanol also dentures enzymes.
That's interesting looks like I should do a lot more reading :thumbup:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

copper sweat wrote:
MitchyBourbon wrote:The saturation point of enzymes simply describes the limit at which a given enzyme speeds a given reaction.

That's interesting looks like I should do a lot more reading :thumbup:
If everyone had your attitude this site would flow much better. Keep reading good luck.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.