Question for ag guys

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Question for ag guys

Post by Tater »

Any of you add rye for your grain mashed to cap? With recent posts about the infections mashes are getting Got to me wondering how come the old timers didn't run into that more.When I asked my grandfather why when he always talked about tossing some rye on top mash.He just said it was for the cap.Cant recall him ever saying he lost any to infection corn likker was his thing most time Goose them ol boys have any thoughts on this?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Question for ag guys

Post by goose eye »

They always used red dog for the cap. When it falls it ready to charge.
Red dog was a hog feed. Hadn't seen it in years.

So I'm tole
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

That same thing as what they called chop I think around here . Heard about it being used used on making sugar head.I was just wondering if that might helped against infections.Them ol boys talk about getting them much on grain?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Was it millet the red dog?
Just looked it up red dog hog feed is wheat Bran.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I stood pondering purchasing a sack of wheat bran at TSC over the summer... One bag was open and spilling out on the floor... Probably could have gotten a great deal on that bag even though they're relatively cheap to begin with... I want to try it for DWWG style sugarheads... I can see how it would work well for capping an all grain mash...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Come to think of it the only mashes Ive ever lost where those the did not contain rye, and ive not lost many but i almost always use rye.

You could be on to something.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Same here, I've had a couple lacto infections, and it might be only in batches that I didn't use rye.
I don't honestly remember which was which anymore, but I do know that from the start I've been doing mostly corn/barley/rye recipes, and all of my early batches turned out great.
My lacto batches happened only recently, and I know at least one of them was a barley/wheat recipe without rye. I was blaming the wheat because it was the only new variable, never thought to blame the absence of something. :think:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...