Cow corn for whiskey mash

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Remus
Trainee

Cow corn for whiskey mash

Post by Uncle Remus »

What do you guys think? I think I read in Smiley's book to use food grade corn. We're ready to run a batch of it today (mash made with feed corn).
Anybody else use feed corn to make their mash?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
DBM

corn

Post by DBM »

Remus;
Is the cow corn cracked or whole corn? If it has been ground for feed it will work. I do think you will like cracked corn (chicken feed) better though, also it's usually cheeper.
Another thing is cow feed will sometimes have mineral salts added, (not good).
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I believe that generally the grain that is used in Scotch whisky is only slightly better that feed grade.

I use feed grade whole corn and the results so far have been good. I do find that I need to rinse it first before using it to get rid of the ocassioanl twig/corn stock that gets mized in.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive had no problem with it either.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
AlaOutlaw
Novice

Post by AlaOutlaw »

I've also used cracked and whole feed corn without problems.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Ran the mash on Sat. it turned out great. We started with whole feed corn, soaked it in water for a couple days then ground it to a coarse corn meal.
It has a really nice flavour even in its green stage. We ran it with just a little reflux and the column packed. The end product was about 82%. Now I'm gonna let it age for a while.

Anyone ever used charred alder wood for flavouring? I was thinking to try it with a small amount and see how it turns out.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.