videos explaining how to malt your own barley

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: videos explaining how to malt your own barley

Post by jedneck »

Moose shadylane has a resent thread on malting wheat that you might get some ideas from. Once I get my malt roller built I will send you some malt.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks jed. I'll have a look for that thread as well. Just starting my malting adventures, very small and slow. Wanted to start with corn since it's supposed to be easiest but only had cracked, so I figured I'd try some of the barley I had. Just dried it on a sheet in the oven. Oven only goes down to 170 so had to leave the door open a little to keep it lower. Seems to have worked. I'll be looking at building something more though for the future. I want to read and learn more and practice smaller amounts before I go messing up anything lol. Same as the rest of this hobby. Take it slow, crawl before you walk
Jo Diesel
Novice

Post by Jo Diesel »

Just found this after watching the Malt roller from HomeDistiller on you tube. I wonder if you could use a grill rotisserie motor and mount the drive roller on a piece of pipe with rubber rollers. I also think that an open top barrel with a lock ring on top would me easier to deal withImage
Also couldn't you just put an electric heater in one end and leave on to dry or kiln it? We have these at work and they work pretty well. Image
Whiskey, my light beer
Farside
Bootlegger

Post by Farside »

I think your local climate is very influential. Last summer I raised meat chickens and I had a 5 gallon grain sprouting system going for them. On a whim, I put some feed barley through it and it sprouted wonderfully. Nice and even.

My biggest challenge was curing the malt so that kilning wouldn't destroy the enzymes. I'm going to have to build a oast for that.