How long can you keep Cracked corn before it goes rancid?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

beelah
Trainee

How long can you keep Cracked corn before it goes rancid?

Post by beelah »

Just a question about how long you can keep cracked corn hanging around before it goes rancid and if so, will it affect the taste of your product if making UJSSM? The reason I ask is that I bought 2 20Kg bags this summer and so far have used up ab out 2/3 of the first bag.

How long will it keep if I keep it in a cool, dry and dark place?
midcarolina
Swill Maker

Re: How long can you keep Cracked corn before it goes rancid

Post by midcarolina »

stored properly you are good to go............ the real issue is not the going rancid part......it's keeping creepy crawleys and those damn four legged little furry bastards that seem to find a way into most anywhere they want........ mice/rat turds are not good flavoring..........
Three can keep a secret..................If two are dead!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I had some bagged corn go slightly vinegary :shock: It had a real stinky smell to it. I figured it happened because the bag was sitting on a concrete floor and must have sucked up some moisture. So now I keep grains and such on a pallet and/or in plastic pails.
I do all my own stunts
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

blind drunk wrote:I had some bagged corn go slightly vinegary :shock: It had a real stinky smell to it. I figured it happened because the bag was sitting on a concrete floor and must have sucked up some moisture. So now I keep grains and such on a pallet and/or in plastic pails.
+1 on your solution, BD. Best to keep stuff like that in sealed containers at least 6 inches off the floor and 4 inches away from walls. Goes a long way toward keeping moisture and crawlies away.
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

zouthernborne wrote:
blind drunk wrote:I had some bagged corn go slightly vinegary :shock: It had a real stinky smell to it. I figured it happened because the bag was sitting on a concrete floor and must have sucked up some moisture. So now I keep grains and such on a pallet and/or in plastic pails.
+1 on your solution, BD. Best to keep stuff like that in sealed containers at least 6 inches off the floor and 4 inches away from walls. Goes a long way toward keeping moisture and crawlies away.
Good posts. I just had a good part of a 50lb bag go grey. I had it tightly closed but it was sitting on the garage floor (no plastic container, just the bag). It probably picked up moisture thru the bag/floor. The heat probably didn't do any good either.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

I keep mine stored in food grade barrels to keep dry. Whole feed corn will sometimes have what we call weevils in it when obtained from the feed store. I usually throw a coffee can full of diatamatious earth in with my feed and corn. D earth is crushed up fossilized sea critters that act like a bazillion razor blades on the small scale of insects. It kills em without chemicals. I also use it as a wormer fer my milk goats and dust my garden with it, good stuff!!!
It would be a type of lime I guess so it might effect yer Ph....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

And using Mylar bags to hold the grain inside the buckets isn't a bad idea either. That and some silicon gel packs and it'll be like Fort Knox in your storage area.
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Post by dakotasnake »

wacabi1 wrote:I keep mine stored in food grade barrels to keep dry. Whole feed corn will sometimes have what we call weevils in it when obtained from the feed store. I usually throw a coffee can full of diatamatious earth in with my feed and corn. D earth is crushed up fossilized sea critters that act like a bazillion razor blades on the small scale of insects. It kills em without chemicals. I also use it as a wormer fer my milk goats and dust my garden with it, good stuff!!!
It would be a type of lime I guess so it might effect yer Ph....
i use D E around here to, its actually near all calcium, it may raise the ph a little but a little citric would take care of that, just make sure its the food grade, not the stuff they use in pools.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I took a lesson from the preppers. I use a 55 gal drum to store my grains and sugars in. I added a hose barb at the bottom of the drum. With a valve. When I open it up to add something. I purge it with CO2. By connecting a hose from my keg regulator and bottle. I loosen one of the screw caps on top. And turn the CO2 on. CO2 is heavier then normal air. So it will fill it from the bottom. And push any air up and out the loosened lid. I shut the CO2 off and close the screw cap. And its good to go till the next time I get into it.

The bugs won't live in the CO2 environment. And neither will most molds.

Many of the preppers use dry ice. By placing a piece in like a tin can with holes in it. At the bottom of the drum. As it melts off it fills the drum.

I have a wet basement with a slight mold problem. That I'm working on. So I figured this would be the best method for ingredient dry storage for me. Right now I have 50# of corn 50# of wheat 40# sugar and 10# panela in it now. With enough room for twice that. You just got to watch it when you go to reach in and get something. A good whiff of that CO2 will knock you on yer ars. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
retlaw
Swill Maker

Post by retlaw »

as soon as the protective shell/skin is broken the seed/nut/fruit/veggie starts to break down,

peel an apple/orange and see how long it last compared to one not peeled,

if wanting to store seeds/nuts/fruit/veggie for long time keep the protective outer shell intact,
otherwise use it up fast, the nutrients start to break down as soon as the shell is broken,

storing in cool, dark, dry, even frozen places will slow down the ageing process but you can't stop it,

if planning on storing for long periods do not crack or remove the outer protective shell,

if cracked or removed you want to use it up as fast as you can,
after all we are using them for the goodies they have inside them, so when the goodies start to drop off then you will need to use more to make up for the lose,

a good example is cooking with fresh compared to dried herbs,
you need more dried herbs to get the same flavour as fresh,
drunk-pat100
Novice

Post by drunk-pat100 »

What I do with mine is throw a hand warmer or 2 in your bucket it will suck up all moisture and keep way longer.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Prairiepiss wrote:I took a lesson from the preppers. I use a 55 gal drum to store my grains and sugars in. I added a hose barb at the bottom of the drum. With a valve. When I open it up to add something. I purge it with CO2. By connecting a hose from my keg regulator and bottle. I loosen one of the screw caps on top. And turn the CO2 on. CO2 is heavier then normal air. So it will fill it from the bottom. And push any air up and out the loosened lid. I shut the CO2 off and close the screw cap. And its good to go till the next time I get into it.

The bugs won't live in the CO2 environment. And neither will most molds.

Many of the preppers use dry ice. By placing a piece in like a tin can with holes in it. At the bottom of the drum. As it melts off it fills the drum.

I have a wet basement with a slight mold problem. That I'm working on. So I figured this would be the best method for ingredient dry storage for me. Right now I have 50# of corn 50# of wheat 40# sugar and 10# panela in it now. With enough room for twice that. You just got to watch it when you go to reach in and get something. A good whiff of that CO2 will knock you on yer ars. :lol:
Holy resurrection batman!! With seeds of knowledge. Thanks double P.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
drunk-pat100
Novice

Post by drunk-pat100 »

Dude thats a great idea right there! Ima try that on some of my rye I got storing right now.