The Maillard Reaction

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: The Maillard Reaction

Post by Jimbo »

Odin wrote: ... but taste might well be too intense.

Odin.
:-D YUM. Im a nut on taste, love a gobsmack of flavor. :-P My friends love my beers but they also say the IPA is a tongue scraper and the stout is a meal. LOL. Im so glad I read your comments on fermenting on the grain to get more flavor. And now this for even more :) Life is good.

Strange that I was a Jack Daniels drinker for so many years. Its disappointing when I taste it now against other bourbons or ours here :) I wonder if they filter that through heaps of carbon just so they can go wider on the cuts? Whatever reason, it sucks all the flavors out of the hooch.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Odin wrote: Anyone here has a slow cooker or oven that can heat as low as 90 degrees C?
Odin.
Yep i've got 3!

I'm Thinking i'll be going back to UJSSM malardised styles! I'll cook the corn in water and some calcium carbonate for 24 hours or so. Heat up some crazy year old aged 3?4? gen back set and use it to disolve the sugar - crazy flavour bomb here I come! :mrgreen: 100l wash i think should be enough to strip and do 1-2 1.5x runs to combine.

Just gotta strip and spirit run my deathwatchers recipie first!
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Lupus
Novice

Post by Lupus »

Odin,
You have noted that an alkaline environment would accentuate the Maillard reaction. Any suggestions you can suggest how alkaline?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

From what I understand "slightly alcalyne". That's why tap water with ph 7.5 to 8.0 will do fine. You might want to use some Calcium Carbonate to maybe get it to 9. But this is pretty much unexplored teritory, so if you have insights in what ph will produce best flavors ... or are willing to do some experiments ...

"My" rye bread recipe uses a rye bread baked for 14 hours with tap water. Taste is awesome. Since tap water is only slightly alcalyne, maybe that's where the sweet spot is, but who knows for sure?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Fantastic post, Odin. I have often thought that chemistry offers much to our hobby that we don't take advantage of, and lamented the amount of screwing off that I did in high school chemistry class.

Here is a link to another pretty extensive discussion of the MR in relation to food. http://blog.khymos.org/2012/06/04/maxim ... -reaction/

I started experimenting with AG just a few months ago. I have been making bourbon with a grain bill of
4# cracked corn
1.5# rolled rye
1.5# 2-row malt
The flavor is good, but it is not that full, rich, satisfying, sipping whiskey taste that I wanted. I believe it lacks complexity.

I now have 3 lbs. of corn in the slow cooker at 195F for the next batch. I haven't yet decided whether to MR the rye or not. I figure I will taste the corn at 12 hours or so, either call it finished or leave it going, maybe add a pinch of baking soda. I don't need to be in a hurry. I'm out of malt and won't make it to the brew shop for a couple of days anyway.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I will let you know how it goes.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think your approach is fine. Temps okay. Grain you want to MR is corn and you are after bourbon style whiskey, I guess. You could also MR the rye ... but I wouldn't do that.

For two reasons. First of all, I am curious to find out what MR does to corn. If there is one "grain" out there that looks different, it is corn, so I am curious. Rye, wheat, barley look (and probably behave?) much more the same. Not sure, just curious. I expect corn to benefit less from MR. Dunno why. Maybe because the corn over here is pretty tasteless in itsself. Let's find out! Second reason: MR rye is so overpowering that I needed to dilute it with 2/3rds of UJ's with much less taste to make it drinkable. In a bourbon you want rye as an adjunct. I think if you MR it, it might pretty much dominate the grain bill.

After reading your excerpt, I would want to add some baking powder or Calcium Carbonate to the water used to MR the corn. If my understanding is correct, it is temperature of the MR that mostly influences taste (higher temps = more bitterness), where a higher PH will just speed up the process. So maybe you need only like 3 to 4 hours of baking instead of 6 as in my first suggestions.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

skow69 wrote: The flavor is good, but it is not that full, rich, satisfying, sipping whiskey taste that I wanted. I believe it lacks complexity.
All those qualities come with age. If you only made it a few months ago keep it on oak and stay patient.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Odin wrote: If there is one "grain" out there that looks different, it is corn,
Yeah, Odin, you said that right. That's the first thing I learned about mashing, is how special corn is.

My 3 lbs. has been in the cooker for about 12 hrs. now, between 180 and 190F. The pH started at 7.0. I raised it to 7.9. I certainly don't want to go any higher than that since I'll have to bring it back down for mashing. Did some more reading, and got to thinking that corn prolly has plenty of protein for the reactions, but it's pretty low on the reducing sugar, so I dissolved a little sugar and added that. I don't see any browning going on, and all I can taste is a little sugar and baking soda.

Do you ever roast corn cobs on the bbq? That's what I had in mind. It's a way different flavor from boiled or steamed corn. Maybe that's caramelized. Or maybe it's because that is sweet corn with way more sugars than this field corn raised for animal feed.

On the upside that pot o' corn won't need any more cooking for today's mash. It is gelatinized beautifully. In fact, I'll just leave it in the cooker for the day while I get some more malt and mash it tonight. So if anybody has anymore ideas I would love to try them, but I think we just learned that maize is not a good candidate for the Maillard Reaction.

I will continue to watch this thread with interest. I aspire to ryes and single malts in the future, so keep up the good work. I still think you've got your finger on a bonanza of flavor.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

jimdo64 wrote:
skow69 wrote: The flavor is good, but it is not that full, rich, satisfying, sipping whiskey taste that I wanted. I believe it lacks complexity.
All those qualities come with age. If you only made it a few months ago keep it on oak and stay patient.
Thanks, jim. Intellectually I know you're right. But emotionally patience is a bitch, now isn't it?

Actually, I am gaining on it. I have several liters in little Barbie-size oak barrels that are two and three weeks old now. My problem [well, one of them] is that I'm lousy at saying NO. When my friends come around and tell me how much they like it, I just get all silly and break out the next barrel.

On the other hand, Isn't this an awesome hobby when that is my biggest problem?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Maybe with corn ... the problem is it won't give upt its starches easily. If I look into Dutch distilling, and if I interpret what my friend Big R does (as well as others) ... it seems like corn really needs a boil to sorta break, give up its starches. Without a boil, you won't free the starches. Red wheat (to a lesser extend) has the same problem. Needs to boil first. Barley and rye need much less heat. Malted grains even less so.

So ... don't give up just yet, Skow! I think the idea of adding sugar is great. But ... just thinking this along as we go ahead ... maybe you should first crack the corn, then boil it for a few minutes and THEN give it the MR treatment with that addition of sugar. Not saying it works, but I would go that way and hope you want to join in.

Posting at the same time as Skow ...

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

skow69 wrote:
jimdo64 wrote:
Thanks, jim. Intellectually I know you're right. But emotionally patience is a bitch, now isn't it?

Actually, I am gaining on it. I have several liters in little Barbie-size oak barrels that are two and three weeks old now. My problem [well, one of them] is that I'm lousy at saying NO. When my friends come around and tell me how much they like it, I just get all silly and break out the next barrel.

On the other hand, Isn't this an awesome hobby when that is my biggest problem?

BAHAHA, Yes it is, I have several assorted things aging gracefully, I however am less graceful as I keep stealing shots of this and that before its time. Patience sucks.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Odin wrote: So ... don't give up just yet, Skow! I think the idea of adding sugar is great. But ... just thinking this along as we go ahead ... maybe you should first crack the corn, then boil it for a few minutes and THEN give it the MR treatment with that addition of sugar. Not saying it works, but I would go that way and hope you want to join in.
I'll give that a shot next time around.

You're right about the giving up the starch. The thing is that the grain has to absorb enough water to soften or weaken the cell walls to let the starch out. They call it gelatinization. And corn has a much higher gelatinization temperature than other grains. That's why it needs the boil, and that's why it is so temperamental. Oh well, if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun, right?

I keep thinking that maybe it would work better after the mash when the natural sugars are available. But that would open a whole new set of complications. Your suggestion is much more straight forward. We should probably think about it some more. On the next mash I'll try that or some combination or something, and we'll see what happens.
danmiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by danmiz »

great post odin. gets me excited about doing this tomorrow and trying it out. im going to do sweetfeed in a six gallon fermenter. how many pounds of sweetfeed do i need to use? ive donne sf many of times but you say we can use less grain.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just to get a good comparison, I would first use the same amount of grain, only MR like 50%.

Odin.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

ooOOhh what about soaking raw oak dominoes/ sticks in a alcaline solution overnight before toasting them... :P
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
1bottler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 1bottler »

I am playing , don't really have a clue as to what will turn out....
so far, yesterday I put
350 gm fresh sweet corn
1.5kg pearl barley in a bowl and covered it with boiling water.
let it cool slowly overnight
today I put the stodge in a baking tray with more boiling water, covered and baked at 85-90*c for 3 hrs,
stirred and added more hot water baked for another 3 hours.
tonight I am going to add 1.5kg sugar
juice of a lemon
2 tbsp bread yeast
make up to 10 ltrs and 5 ltrs backset from cornflake brew, see what happens.
I also have available various beer brewing grains including 6 row, if necessary.
Any suggestions welcome before I stuff it up completely

:crazy:
Last edited by 1bottler on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards
Chris nz, where we don't have to still watching for the feds.~
danmiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by danmiz »

Odin wrote:Just to get a good comparison, I would first use the same amount of grain, only MR like 50%.

Odin.
Thanks. Will do it this weekend.
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

Wow, awesome thread! Has anybody tried this on molasses? I plan on trying to do this to my oats and barley on my next whiskey run, but do you think it would benefit the rum?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

that wont work,part of the sugars are caramelized in molasses.thats why it does not ferment to 1.sg.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just sipped on some I oaked a bit. MR-ed rye bread that is. Almost burns the lips of your face. This needs to be done in moderation. Like part of the grain bill being Maillardized only. And I think due to the abundance of taste/oils/esters there, a long rest for ageing is needed.

Distilled gen III today. Spirit run that is. This time I threw in some 1/3rd of MR-ed red wheat. So much taste there. Put it on Hungarian oak bullets and that's where it will stay for the next couple of months.

To summarize my findings so far:
- The Maillard Reaction gives an increadible "waterfall" of tastes to the whiskey;
- So much that it needs to either be diluted / blended with other non-Maillardized grains;
- And it probably benefits from a prolongued period of ageing, just to sorta "settle out".

The taste has a raw, roughness to it that is amazing. As a whiskey, it is almost like I drink a genever with too much liquorice in there. Long aftermath. Burning sensation to gum & lips. Almost unbelievable that this is a drink without any herbs added.

You know what? I will force age the crap out of what I have right now. Just to see where this is going. I will put it in my ultrasonic cleaner and boost da shit out of it.

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, thanks for the laugh! :lol:

taking notes here, havent got around to my MR'd run yet, and the toasted blond pale ale I made (with oven toasted 6 row) is still in secondary so havent tried that yet either. Got 32 lbs of panela from sugar daddy to turn into hooch today ;) Then Ill stare at my piles of grains and decide what/how I'l a MR whirl to.
southern traditions
Novice

Post by southern traditions »

Hey Odin,
I racked my first ferment of a UJSSM using the MR method. One thing I noticed is the spent grain (corn) on the top of the fermenter is alot darker then the spent corn on my regular UJSSM. The racked wash is also a different color than my regular UJSSM. If all goes well this weekend I'll be running both washes, a 20L using the MR method and a 40L wash of my regular UJSSM wash both run thru my pot still w/thumper.. I'll let you know how the run turns out.

Martin
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Martin, the beers I make for distilling, using the Maillard Reaction, are the brownest/blackest in color so far.

Interested to learn how it turns out for ya!

Odin.
laughing waters
Novice

Post by laughing waters »

This is a great thread, very interesting stuff here. Does anyone have any more to add?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think it is up to you guys now. Go make it. Ask for details if needed. Share insights whenever they appear. Let's make this recipe start of. I have tried it and know it is worth it.

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Cheers gang. Drinking my mailardized pale ale (Toasted Blond) while doing a neutral strip.

This beer has 2 lbs of slow toasted in the oven 6 row added. Its delicious. Definitely a nice toasty flavor. it will make the keeper list of recipes.

Cheers,
toasted blond.JPG
Angel_Kefka
Bootlegger

Post by Angel_Kefka »

I've been slowly making my way through the UJSSM thread and found this one and thought of something. Someone mentioned on here not wanting to use too alkaline a solution to do this because of needing to balance out back out to ferment. With late generation UJSSM the alkaline result from this process would help balance the wash as it becomes overly acidic.
favnesbane
Novice

Post by favnesbane »

Thanks for very interesting inspirational posts on the maillard reaction.

Found this article from a reasearch of the maillard reactions influence on fermentation. The research is done because MR can happen when meszcal mash is heated, and then it has been suspected to make fermetation go bad.

Shortly the article concludes that MR can seriously reduce alcohol prodution during the fermentation, but negative effects of MR may be avoided if Ph in the mash is put down to between 5 and 4.

See:
http://www.aseanbiotechnology.info/abst ... 022799.pdf
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing.

In for instance my Rye Bread Whiskey, I use the Maillard reaction to create a very powerful whiskey taste. I do not want a MR while fermenting, but will MR the grains (or part of them) prior to adding them to a fermentation.

I am not sure I used the correct words, but MR is best triggered with PH 7.5 or higher. So if you want to MR your rye or wheat yourself ... put it with some water, up the PH, warm below boiling temps for prolonged periods of time.

Odin.
Ridgerunnr
Novice

Post by Ridgerunnr »

Hoping this results in something drinkable.
2# flaked Rye...brought 1/2 gal of water to boil , dumped in the flaked rye.
Stirred it up put a lid on and let it sit overnight. Today I spread it out on baking pans
And cooked in oven at 190f for 6 hours. Put into fermenter with 2# corn and 4# sugar dissolved in hot water added enough water to make 6gal and pitched using bakers