Bourbon grain bills

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bourbon grain bills

Postby Kegg_jam » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:05 am

I'm sure this is redundant information as many of you know this stuff. But I'm stuck at the lake cabin this weekend with nothing else to do but read. I already knew most of this but it made my mouth water reading it.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only- ... ipes-yall/
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bourbon grain bills

Postby dieselduo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:26 am

nice read
dieselduo
Swill Maker

Postby captainshooch » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 am

Nice read indeed. I ran across it about a year and a half ago while searching the ole inner web. I also discovered this document.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=4

Though you might find it interesting.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:11 am

Good read. I didn't get through all the comments, but found the ones I read to be interesting too. The wife and I are on our way out to a county fair - I'll finish it when I get home. Thanks for posting the link.
S-Cack,
Forum Contrarian

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
Master Distiller

Postby greggn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 am

Great article. Even though I'm not a bourbon drinker I think I'll take a stab at a wheated bourbon since I have all the ingredients on hand.

Thanks for posting.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
greggn
Swill Maker

Postby Kegg_jam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:18 am

I'm thinking George Washington's Rye grain bill.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby MitchyBourbon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:22 am

Interesting read Kegg_jam, thanks for posting. I'm not sure I agree with the author's assertion that unless you are using 10% or more malted barley you must be using enzymes. Malted red wheat has more enzymes than malted 6 row barley. I don't use any barley in my bourbon. I use malted rye and malted red wheat. I do agree that small variations in grain bill are not terribly meaningful. There are a number of other aspects more influential.
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon
Master Distiller

Postby Grappa-Gringo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:49 am

interesting read indeed...love the info...cheers
gg
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Postby Jimbo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:04 am

Bernie is a cool guy for sure. Jim Beam brand ambassador (Heaven hill is a Jim Beam brand). What a job!!! He wrote an interesting book that I enjoyed much called 'Bourbon Whiskey, Our Native Spirit'. I recommend the read.

One thing he doesnt say about wheat is 'fruit'. Its the main reason I like wheated bourbons so much. I get a real nice fruit in mine. But it is entirely possible what he did say explains it, maybe. He said wheat stays out of the way of other flavors, and its possible the fruit Im getting is from the esters in the beer yeast I use. US-05 is great, 1272 is my new go to. A little more flavor. Other beer yeasts work great too. The English Ale ones bring even more esters over. And 100% wheat single malt is ridiculous. I have 2 quarts left still aging on oak from a 2012 batch and ohhhh man is it nice. I love wheat. But now Im not talking about bourbon no more so Im out.

Cheers.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Jimbo
Master Distiller

Postby TurtleLA » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Good find! Nice read
TurtleLA
Novice

Postby Secale » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm reading it now. :angel:
If it's on YouTube. It has to be real. LOLZ

http://homedistiller.org/intro
Secale
Novice

Postby xring01 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 pm

My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
17% Roasted/Malted Barley
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.
xring01
Novice

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:36 pm

xring01 wrote:My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.

Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.
If you are just starting out with toasted or roasted grains, I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 5% - 8% of the total grain bill for specialty malts.

Also, as you are exploring different grain bills, I might suggest doing one batch with malted wheat, and a second batch with malted rye. That way you would be able to experience the difference between wheated bourbon, and a rye bourbon.
You could then always blend the two to get a version of the recipe you posted.

Keep letting us know how it's going.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby ShineonCrazyDiamond » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:12 pm

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
xring01 wrote:My next Bourbon Grain Bill will be
60% Flaked Corn
13% Roasted Wheat
9% Malted Rye

Hoping to mash it soon.

Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.
If you are just starting out with toasted or roasted grains, I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 5% - 8% of the total grain bill for specialty malts.

Also, as you are exploring different grain bills, I might suggest doing one batch with malted wheat, and a second batch with malted rye. That way you would be able to experience the difference between wheated bourbon, and a rye bourbon.
You could then always blend the two to get a version of the recipe you posted.

+1

Besides, depending on the roast level, the enzymes could be severely compromised, and not have enough oomph to convert all the starch.

I did a bourbon with chocolate wheat malt and caramel barley. 5% of each, holy hell its gonna be a year before I can touch it. It's going to be a freakin awesome Christmas bourbon, but it was punch you in the face bitter chocolate taste for a while!
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby xring01 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:38 am

Just finished the mash on the above grain bill. I use alpha amalaze to help the enzymes.

Started this mash friday night. Brought 8-9 gallons water to 150 degrees. Into the mash tun with the grains and amalase. Stirring every half or so for many hours. Let it sit over night. Sat afternoon started draing off liquiod in mash tun, and sparging with more water. Finished up this am. Even put all the grains in a BIAB bag and queezed every last drop I could out off the grain. Finished up with about 11-12 gallons.

Removed all the grain from the mash. It looks like black coffee, tastes amazing.

Added a bit of sugar to bring the gravity up tp 1.090. Added yeast and yeast nutients about an hour ago.

Time to sit back and watch my fantasy football team kick some ass.
xring01
Novice

Postby muscashine » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:51 pm

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Roasted grains can have a big impact on the final spirit, a little goes a long way.

So does Peated Malt! I made my first scotch (and my first all grain) with half 2 row malt barley, and half 2 row peated malt. OMG! I never would have dreamed so much peat smoke flavor would come through in the final product. I aged it for a year in the attic with a little oak to give it a light amber color. It was still a pretty strong-smelling spirit, even diluted to 75 proof.

But it's gone now. It wasn't the best whisky, but I miss it, because it was my first. I need to think doing about another batch of it.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Return to Grains