Bourbon grain bills

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bourbon grain bills

Post by rubberduck71 »

DSmith78 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 am
captainshooch wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 am Nice read indeed. I ran across it about a year and a half ago while searching the ole inner web. I also discovered this document.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Though you might find it interesting.
Love this!
Is there an updated link to this spreadsheet?

Thanks!

Edit: Doh! nevermind. Blue lettered link still works in captainshooch post

Been my experience that links on "older" posts that have something like this following them no longer work --> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Worked for me too and saved it to my google docs distilling notes folder.

thanks great info!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20200926_165928.jpg
Well the mash went without any crystal just more rye which was fun sparging I remember (sarcasm) its white in a gallon jug I don't know what oak to use maybe just white char? I have wine wood but not in this I think.what do you all think?
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

My "bourbon" that is sit patently in a 3L oak barrel is:
5# Bloody Butcher
5# Hickory King
5# Blue Hoppie corn
3# Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat
2# Weyermann Carafa II
2# Weyermann Pilsner Malt
1# Weyermann CaraRye
9 gals of water
It was split into two fermenting buckets. One with Stillspirits whiskey yeast, and the other with US-05
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jpparts wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:51 pm My "bourbon" that is sit patently in a 3L oak barrel is:
5# Bloody Butcher 21.7%
5# Hickory King 21.7%
5# Blue Hoppie corn 21.7%
3# Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat 13%
2# Weyermann Carafa II 8.7%
2# Weyermann Pilsner Malt 8.7%
1# Weyermann CaraRye 4.3%
9 gals of water
It was split into two fermenting buckets. One with Stillspirits whiskey yeast, and the other with US-05
You do know that bourbon uses at least 50% corn. So, what you’ve actually formulated is a “whiskey” not a bourbon…just so you know.
ss

p.s. - I am corrected. Your corn includes 3 varieties, each 21.7% of the total grainbill. So, the sum is indeed greater than 50%, so it is indeed a bourbon, albeit a specialty bourbon.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 pm
jpparts wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:51 pm My "bourbon" that is sit patently in a 3L oak barrel is:
5# Bloody Butcher 21.7%
5# Hickory King 21.7%
5# Blue Hoppie corn 21.7%
3# Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat 13%
2# Weyermann Carafa II 8.7%
2# Weyermann Pilsner Malt 8.7%
1# Weyermann CaraRye 4.3%
9 gals of water
You do know that bourbon uses at least 50% corn. So, what you’ve actually formulated is a “whiskey” not a bourbon…just so you know.
ss
23# of total grain and 15# of that is corn equals about 65% corn
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

At 2.55#/gal, what was your OG? That's in interesting mash bill.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:28 pm At 2.55#/gal, what was your OG? That's in interesting mash bill.
It was 1.063
When I cook my mash (I've only done three) I cook them a long time. Like holding the corn at 190f with high temp alpha in it for 90 plus mins. Then let it cool naturally. When it hits 160 I add in the grains and a beta enzyme. Because I use an induction hot plate, I set it at 150 and let it sit for another 90 plus mins. Then let it cool down to 100 of so, drain and lift the bag out. Pour back and forth between two buckets. Make a starter with the yeast and pitch it in. My next batch I am thinking about.....
The 15# of that same corn mix
4# beechwood smoked barley
3# weyermann Cararye
1# Briess Extra spec malt
1# weyermann Carafa Type 3
1#Weyermann Caramunich
Then may try one bucket with the us-05 and the other s-04
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:28 pm That's in interesting mash bill.
Not sure if I am on the right path, or am I making this overly complicated, but watching Jesse on Still it he talks about trying to add flavor and aroma with specialty grains. I think his reasoning is for the hobby/home distiller to not have to age the product as long. Maybe? I don't know.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

jpparts wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:13 am ...It was 1.063...
Feels like the SG should be slightly higher with 2.5#/gallon.
jpparts wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:13 am ....When it hits 160 I add in the grains and a beta enzyme....
Your enzymes are probably being denatured a bit @ 160*F.
Might try waiting until 150*F

I'll pitch my beta enzymes and malts over a range of 155-145*F as temp drops to protect myself from hot spots and what not denaturing all the enzymes..

Looks like it'll make a tasty drop!

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

+1 to Jonny.
I think you'll get better (higher) OG if you wait until your mash temp is closer to 150 to pitch your malts and beta.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:36 pm
jpparts wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:13 am ....When it hits 160 I add in the grains and a beta enzyme....

I'll pitch my beta enzymes and malts over a range of 155-145*F as temp drops to protect myself from hot spots and what not denaturing all the enzymes..

Cheers!
-jonny

Thank you. I will wait until it cools more on my next run.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

jpparts wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:42 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:36 pm

Cheers!
-jonny

Thank you. I will wait until it cools more on my next run.
I also insulate my mashes and let them drop naturally to 150 from the high temp gelatinization enzyme and then also drop naturally (also insulated) from 150 to pitch temp about 85 or 90*F. Those are typically large batches ~50 gallons and it takes a couple days to get through those processes but I feel like the longer time contributes to better enzyme activity.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

Grain bill I want to try
15lbs flaked corn
3lbs pilsen malt
3lbs flaked wheat
1lb Crystal malt

I’m torn on the Crystal malt
What do you guys think?
I have the ingredients but my only 2 fermenter buckets are full until probably Wednesday.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

JJB11B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:52 am Grain bill I want to try
15lbs flaked corn
3lbs pilsen malt
3lbs flaked wheat
1lb Crystal malt

What do you guys think?
I have the ingredients but my only 2 fermenter buckets are full until probably Wednesday.
Remember, crystal malt is only partially fermentable. Typically, it is added to beers for flavor and sweetness, not necessarily fermentability. However, it will add back some flavor to your product which may be complemented when the spirit is aged on oak.

Just don't count on it to add much to your %ABV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Sounds delicious. Be aware Crystal malts contribute very little fermentable sugars and will result in a slightly elevated final gravity post-ferment. Heat the stripping runs more slowly to avoid scorching. Sounds like you have done lots of thinking already, so this is probably redundant. Let us know how it turns out.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

bilgriss wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:26 am Sounds delicious. Be aware Crystal malts contribute very little fermentable sugars and will result in a slightly elevated final gravity post-ferment. Heat the stripping runs more slowly to avoid scorching. Sounds like you have done lots of thinking already, so this is probably redundant. Let us know how it turns out.
This is also dependant on the lovibond rating.
Crystal malts with a lovibond under 10 will contribute a lot more fermentable sugars than a malt with a lovibond rating of 30-40.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:34 am
bilgriss wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:26 am Sounds delicious. Be aware Crystal malts contribute very little fermentable sugars and will result in a slightly elevated final gravity post-ferment. Heat the stripping runs more slowly to avoid scorching. Sounds like you have done lots of thinking already, so this is probably redundant. Let us know how it turns out.
This is also dependant on the lovibond rating.
Crystal malts with a lovibond under 10 will contribute a lot more fermentable sugars than a malt with a lovibond rating of 30-40.
My aim for this is to have a thicker mouth feel and a sweeter finish after some time on oak and on that note, I have considered switching the flaked wheat to flaked oats. I guess I have til Tuesday or Wednesday to decide
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

15lbs flaked corn
3lbs pilsen malt
3lbs flaked wheat
1lb Crystal malt

What do you guys think?
I mashed a half batch of this the other day, boiled 5 gallons of water, added 7.5lbs corn, 1.5lb pils, 1.5 flaked wheat, 2lb 10 oz quick oats, 1lb crystal malt.

Total mash volume in fermenters on grain is just about 7 gallons. I pitched Still Spirits, Whiskey yeast. its been ripping since Thursday. if I like what comes out the still I will do the other half of the ingredients. I got a pulley rigged up for the BIABB this time....what a messy pain in the butt

this is my first all grain mash, I did use Amelylase enzymes as I wasn't sure my malt had all it needed and I had it laying around, added the barley at 158 degrees and stirred real well. at 155 I added a tablespoon of enzyme and covered and insulated....stirred every 30 minutes, had to warm it once to keep it over 150 for 90 minutes. I didnt get an OG or do a starch test....yeah I know rookie move. sure smells good
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

JJB11B wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:13 pm
15lbs flaked corn
3lbs pilsen malt
3lbs flaked wheat
1lb Crystal malt

What do you guys think?
I mashed a half batch of this the other day, boiled 5 gallons of water, added 7.5lbs corn, 1.5lb pils, 1.5 flaked wheat, 2lb 10 oz quick oats, 1lb crystal malt.

Total mash volume in fermenters on grain is just about 7 gallons. I pitched Still Spirits, Whiskey yeast. its been ripping since Thursday. if I like what comes out the still I will do the other half of the ingredients. I got a pulley rigged up for the BIABB this time....what a messy pain in the butt

this is my first all grain mash, I did use Amelylase enzymes as I wasn't sure my malt had all it needed and I had it laying around, added the barley at 158 degrees and stirred real well. at 155 I added a tablespoon of enzyme and covered and insulated....stirred every 30 minutes, had to warm it once to keep it over 150 for 90 minutes. I didnt get an OG or do a starch test....yeah I know rookie move. sure smells good
A little hot for enzymes but you'll probably be alright. Next time add your malts at about 150. especially if they are room temperature.
Work on making OG readings a habit. ;-)